Drain Holes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Drain Holes

Hi - We are searching for a fiberglass trailer. My husband and I have narrowed it down to either the Scamp, HC1 or the Escape. Each offer their own 'thing' with Scamp and the Escape being similar in style, but different in build. We've seen the HC1 and Scamp in person and are hoping soon to see the Escape also in person. Escape (the company) has been wonderful!!! They respond quick, discuss changes that I'd like with their production manager - just overall great business sense towards the consumer. Problem is the drain holes under the trailer. Great idea, but my concern was bugs, spiders, ants, etc, entering into the trailer through those holes. I was told they are about the size of a small drill bit and that bugs entering your trailer would be no different then entering you open trailer door. Anyone have any issues with bugs entering the trailer through these holes? I'm not an 'anti-bug' person, but I am allergic to bees/wasps and have issues with knats, horseflies. I don't let that deter me from enjoying the outdoors, but indoors I do like the peace of mind that those insects are not in my living area. Any insight you can give us would be great - Thank you
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Big concern over a small hole...Welcome Mary K, these holes are something like 1/4" drill hole, far better to allow any condensation that were to get in to escape versus obtaining a rotted floor in 5 years (like Airstreams and other brands) There have been no reports of any intrusion via these "weep" holes, maybe total of 6, which is what I call them, and with your Escape you will be insect free. There are other openings, like the refer, furnace, water heater that are more prone to intrusion but there are ways to insect proof them. Again, welcome...
Old 04-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Big concern over a small hole...Welcome Mary K, these holes are something like 1/4" drill hole, far better to allow any condensation that were to get in to escape versus obtaining a rotted floor in 5 years (like Airstreams and other brands) There have been no reports of any intrusion via these "weep" holes, maybe total of 6, which is what I call them, and with your Escape you will be insect free. There are other openings, like the refer, furnace, water heater that are more prone to intrusion but there are ways to insect proof them. Again, welcome...
Thank you for the reassurance. I feel better knowing there have been no reports of issues with the small holes. How does one insect proof the other openings you mentioned?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Thank you for the reassurance. I feel better knowing there have been no reports of issues with the small holes. How does one insect proof the other openings you mentioned?

Just last week there was a forum discussion on this topic.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...bers-9711.html

There is a wealth of information on these forums and the easiest way to find a topic is to use the search function at the top. You will get better results by using the "search Site by Google" field at the bottom of the search screen.

Welcome to the Escape community!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Just last week there was a forum discussion on this topic.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...bers-9711.html

There is a wealth of information on these forums and the easiest way to find a topic is to use the search function at the top. You will get better results by using the "search Site by Google" field at the bottom of the search screen.

Welcome to the Escape community!
I'll check out the link and use the search function. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Drain holes in floor of Escape?

Quote:
I hadn't heard of drain holes through the escape floors. Where are they located in the Escape 21? If one has the underfloor insulation, does this cover the holes?

I've been under my Casita and don't remember seeing any holes with the exception of the refrigerator drain tube, which has a screen. By the way, I recommend also looking at Casitas in your search for the next trailer. We have been extremely happy with ours. We are purchasing an Escape because we "think" we need more room to go full time. The Escape is more luxurious, but it is about double the price of the Casita.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I hadn't heard of drain holes through the escape floors. Where are they located in the Escape 21? If one has the underfloor insulation, does this cover the holes?
I can't answer the insulation question.

The floor in an Escape is encapsulated in resin on top and fiberglass on bottom and elevated with a pontoon around the perimeter of the walls. If any water were to get inside it would collect in the pontoons and there are drain holes to allow it to escape outside.

Casita doesn't have any drain holes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Yes, as Donna explained, if you look underneath you may see a couple of small holes in the fiberglass around the perimeter to allow drainage if necessary, not impacted by the foam since that is mainly within the frame area, which is interior of the perimeter.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19'
Quote:
Yes, as Donna explained, if you look underneath you may see a couple of small holes in the fiberglass around the perimeter to allow drainage if necessary, not impacted by the foam since that is mainly within the frame area, which is interior of the perimeter.
Do any of you clean out these weep holes? We didn't clean our bathroom window and were astounded to find 2" of water standing in the bathroom floor after recent rains. The pollen clogged the area. Now I'm concerned we need to clean out these weep holes, too.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Since they are on the underside I doubt pollen or any other airborne items would impact them.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post

I've been under my Casita and don't remember seeing any holes with the exception of the refrigerator drain tube, which has a screen. By the way, I recommend also looking at Casitas in your search for the next trailer. We have been extremely happy with ours. We are purchasing an Escape because we "think" we need more room to go full time. The Escape is more luxurious, but it is about double the price of the Casita.
While used Escapes do tend to be almost double a Casita, new the premium for Escape is less than 50% (still more for sure). Casita has a couple of challenges, to get a large bed you pretty much lose any seating area. We had a 17 foot Liberty. In twin bed mode, you end up with 23 inch wide twins, not a normal twin, more like the width of a camping cot.

I stopped at the Casita factory last year. I discussed with them the need for a larger trailer. They had zero interest in making any changes. IMHO, they really need to consider a larger trailer (they top out at 17 feet). For just two feet more with an Escape 19, you get a lot more space: queen bed, four person dinette, larger bathroom, etc. Escape continues to upgrade their design, making new molds (expensive) to improve their products. Other brands seem to be putting out the same thing every year.

Scamp caps out at 16 feet for a pull behind trailer. Somehow, on their deluxe model, they are able to have a larger bed and a dinette, but the dinette is TINY!

If I was in the molded fiberglass trailer business, I would hate to have to compete with Escape.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
For those that may have no idea what is being described here...
Attached Thumbnails
underside.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
I stopped at the Casita factory last year. I discussed with them the need for a larger trailer. They had zero interest in making any changes. IMHO, they really need to consider a larger trailer (they top out at 17 feet). For just two feet more with an Escape 19, you get a lot more space: queen bed, four person dinette, larger bathroom, etc. Escape continues to upgrade their design, making new molds (expensive) to improve their products. Other brands seem to be putting out the same thing every year.
Actually our one disappointment with the Escape 21 compared to the Casita FD17 is that the bathroom shower space is smaller and the sink lacks the vanity with the below sink cupboard. This however is more than made up with the larger dinette, extra kitchen counter, additional storage space and not having to climb over each other in the middle of the night.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Casitas are notorious for floors going bad. Water that gets in can't get out. At our first and only rally in our 2013 Casita, our neighbors found the whole rear floor soft in their new to them Casita. They were really bummed.

Casita does seem to be really happy with status quo. I guess they are happy where they are. We ended up with Escape because of size.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Casita does seem to be really happy with status quo. I guess they are happy where they are. We ended up with Escape because of size.
There really does seem to be a big market opportunity in the 19-21' range if Casita would get off their backside. Imagine all the customers that would not have to travel or take delivery all the way from B.C. This fact alone would attract some even if the quality was not quite as high. If they consider Scamp their only competition they are setting the bar too low. The fact that Little House Customs even exists is a testament to the fact that Casita is not doing a good enough job at the factory with design, quality execution and offering of options. I don't know Casita production numbers, but I wonder if Escape is just an annoying gnat or if they are a real threat (17' market) especially with the recent increase in facility size and production?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
.... I don't know Casita production numbers, but I wonder if Escape is just an annoying gnat or if they are a real threat (17' market) especially with the recent increase in facility size and production?
One thing we've noticed in our limited times at FG rallies and gatherings: there's a lot of second-owner Casita's, sold to them by now-Escape owners. I've got to believe that Casita is taking a real hit due to Escape production and the availability of second-hand Casita's.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Escape is killing Casita not in size or quality so much as the customer experience in customization. Casita has an attitude our way or the highway. I actually read about a potential Casita customer that wanted... this, and this, but not this... and the Casita sales person actually told him to call Escape! Casita won't even share their upholsterer's business name with anyone, even though just about everyone know who it is. But too, can't beat the Casita business model (yet) as they too are building and selling as many trailers as they can... and want to.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #18

When we bought our Casita in 2014, they were building 14 trailers a week. I expect it is still the same now.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #19

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Casitas are notorious for floors going bad. Water that gets in can't get out. At our first and only rally in our 2013 Casita, our neighbors found the whole rear floor soft in their new to them Casita. They were really bummed.

You mean the wood embedded in the Casita floor was soft as a result of wood rot?
How old was that Casita?
Yes Casita seems to lack drainage and it needs some, but several friends have them and none of them have problems with the floors with the oldest trailer being 8 years old (which is somewhat mature). No leaks either.
But the floors are fiberglassed both top and bottom on both the Casita and the Escape with OSB in Casita and Plywood in Escape embedded in the floor. Perhaps the OSB is the weak point in the floor versus plywood. Further if you get vinyl on top of the floors that might help seal floors. Both penetrate the floor with screws, plumbing and such....but assuming the water goes into the Escape troughs it has a way out. However not all water intrusions end up in the trough as the two recent threads on a New 2107 Escape 19 shows, apparently on the floor or some other place in that case. So one must always be vigilant and deal with water intrusion when it happens in whatever trailer. The problem with trailers it seems is water leaks location and cause may not be apparent due to visibility/stuff concealing it inside.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
One thing we've noticed in our limited times at FG rallies and gatherings: there's a lot of second-owner Casita's, sold to them by now-Escape owners. I've got to believe that Casita is taking a real hit due to Escape production and the availability of second-hand Casita's.
and the exchange rate for south of the border sales!
if it ever gets back to 1 to 1 then perhaps it will subside some.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote