Driving Coast to Coast for Pickup - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
I have lived in Vancouver BC, Winnipeg Manitoba, Toronto, Kingston and London Ontario and Montreal Quebec and have driven both east to west and west to east many times as a result. I have driven both through the US and through Canada. Some considerations:
  1. What time of year are you planning to make the trip?
  2. Will you be travelling alone or with a co-driver? Will there be children?
  3. How young are you? If you are older you might not want to drive as far each day.
Some general advice:
  1. The route north from Sault Ste. Marie over Lake Superior and west on the Trans Canada Highway is a long, lonely route. A much faster and safer route is to take US#2 through Escanaba, Duluth, Minot.
  2. From Minot you can either continue west on US#2 or head north on US#52 and join the Trans Canada Highway near Moose Jaw
  3. The price of gas is significantly higher in Canada than in the US. In Vancouver BC is is presently $1.26 per litre, equivalent to about US$4.54 per US gallon. We bought gas about a week ago just south of us in Washington state for US$3.02 per US gallon.
  4. When we were traveling with a family we generally did not go more than 500 miles per day. If you are young and have a co-driver you can go much further. I have driven non-stop from London, Ontario to Vancouver BC on the mixed US/Canadian route described in 1. and 2. above
  5. The route from Calgary west on the Trans Canada highway is scenic assuming good weather. The Rockies are spectacular. From Kamloops south the Coquihalla Highway #5 is faster although Highway #1 (Fraser Canyon) is beautiful.
padlin, I think Brian's description is right on. But you may want to consider the following changes. Have your partner fly to Regina. As you drive to Calgary, one can take in Drumheller (just an hour north of the Trans-Canada) before one reaches Calgary. This is dinosaur country c/w the Tyrrell Museum (Google it) and if one is of the religious persuasion, Drumheller presents a world class outdoor passion play. Then back to the Trans-Canada, through Calgary and on to Chilliwack.

Although Brian is right that the Coquihalla Highway #5 is faster, Highway #1 through the Fraser Canyon is not only more beautiful, but offers much more interesting stuff. Lots of tunnels, real cool campgrounds (too bad you won't have your trailer), rapids & quaint towns. In my view, if you are going through once, this is the way to go.

After picking up the trailer and in Washington State, you may want to head east through Grand Coulee Dam, then across Idaho into Montana. You mentioned Custer State Park... good stuff... but you may not want to miss the Lewis & Clark Caverns (Montana)... we really enjoyed them.

Hope to hit Maine some time next summer in our new "Big Easy"!!!

Enjoy & Travel Safe
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sounds like I'll need a 2nd trip, Yeehaa.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I also endorse Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I'm glad to hear it is still uncrowded --
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #24

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
We did notice that in N.Dakota motels close to the hwy seemed very busy ... rv park we stayed at in Minot N. Dakota had lots of long term oil field workers , lots of winterized trailers.
Could not even imagine spending the winter that way . Oil pumps everywhere . There is a lot of truck traffic , but the hwys are very good ,easy drive .
Minot is interesting, in 1963/65 we spent two winters there while on our honeymoon. We lived in a 1954 schult that was 37 by 8 really large by our standard today and I could walk all around it as the snow drifts went to the top but melted about 3 feet of the snow away from the trailer, I guess no one insulated like Rease does now. I guess if we could put up with that, then the next 48 years wouldn't be too tough. We just can't seem to give up the trailer life completely.
Jack and Nancy of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Minot is interesting, in 1963/65 we spent two winters there while on our honeymoon. We lived in a 1954 schult that was 37 by 8 really large by our standard today and I could walk all around it as the snow drifts went to the top but melted about 3 feet of the snow away from the trailer, I guess no one insulated like Rease does now. I guess if we could put up with that, then the next 48 years wouldn't be too tough. We just can't seem to give up the trailer life completely.
Jack and Nancy of Tucson
Guess that might be a case of " timing on life's journey " , we too have lived through some cold winters in remote places ( not that Minot is remote ) , in northern Ontario , as well just plain cold places like Thompson + Winnipeg Manitoba . For those hunkering down in Minot I could only think BRRRR… those prairie winds …...
Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Although Brian is right that the Coquihalla Highway #5 is faster, Highway #1 through the Fraser Canyon is not only more beautiful, but offers much more interesting stuff. Lots of tunnels, real cool campgrounds (too bad you won't have your trailer), rapids & quaint towns. In my view, if you are going through once, this is the way to go.
Good points. I had not driven this section of the Trans-Canada Highway (Kamloops-Hope) for many years - since the Coquihalla opened - and recently drove it to avoid the chance of snow up on the "Coq". It is longer in distance and likely (depending on climbing speed on the long Coquihalla grades, but that's not an issue without an RV) even longer in time... but we're talking about an hour or two.

For comparison, Highway 1 (Trans-Canada) in this section is two-lane with some passing lanes (generally on uphill sections), while the Highway 5 (Coquihalla) is all divided, with at least two lanes each way everywhere and long stretches of three lanes on uphill grades to keep the slow trucks from being a hindrance. Hwy 1 follows the Fraser river generally along the bottom of the valley, while Hwy 5 goes through high passes. Hwy 1 has old two-lane tunnels bored through mountains, while Hwy 5 has shorter snowshed-style tunnels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
The price of gas is significantly higher in Canada than in the US. In Vancouver BC is is presently $1.26 per litre, equivalent to about US$4.54 per US gallon. We bought gas about a week ago just south of us in Washington state for US$3.02 per US gallon.
Although gas in Canada is certainly more expensive on average than in the U.S., Vancouver is a relatively extreme example, as the most expensive major city in the country. If the cost of fuel is a significant concern, a U.S. route is preferable - and avoiding Northern Ontario has a double advantage of time savings and avoiding fuel prices which can be as high as Vancouver.

Come to Alberta - our gas is relatively cheap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Come to Alberta - our gas is relatively cheap.
Going to take you up on the offer, figure to spend a few days in the Banff/Jasper area, just in case I don't make it back. Never know...

Think I'd need hotel/campground reservations in early Aug? I'm guessing yes.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Going to take you up on the offer, figure to spend a few days in the Banff/Jasper area, just in case I don't make it back. Never know...

You would definitely want a reservation at one of the two national park camp sites in Jasper. The one camp site is really large, Whistlers, about 800 sites, but it is a popular place and you don't want to be disappointed. The other site is Wapiti, about 360 sites, just down the road a kilometer or so but closer to the Athabaska River. There are a couple of smaller camp grounds to the east.

I have never camped in Banff so not familiar with camp grounds there. Once again, reservations are likely critical.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:

Something that far in advance may be hard to plan. With your new Escape you may find waiting until 24-48 hours, that way you are not locked into a place. Sometimes I like to stay longer at a campsite longer and hate to have to leave because of a reservation at another location. Any KOA will not turn you away, they always have a tent or overflow site you can squeeze into.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Tunnel Mountain overlooking Banff townsite has in excess of 2000 sites , although they do get very full there always seems to be something available and it is minutes off the Trans Canada . If you are passing through enroute to pick up your Escape , there is a Tourist Info right in the middle of the town , they do make reservations for travellers who just decide to stay over . I think there is always room somewhere ...unless maybe one were to arrive during the Winter Olympics .......
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Something that far in advance may be hard to plan. With your new Escape you may find waiting until 24-48 hours, that way you are not locked into a place. Sometimes I like to stay longer at a campsite longer and hate to have to leave because of a reservation at another location. Any KOA will not turn you away, they always have a tent or overflow site you can squeeze into.
This will be on the way to Chilliwack, we'll be in either a tent or hotel, weather/availability dependent.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Will you not be trailerless for your Canadian portion of your drive? The drive from Banff to Jasper on the Icefield Parkway, is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take.

If you plan to motel in Jasper, you most definitely will need reservations. Two years ago in late September, when headed out for a mulit-day canoe trip on Maligne Lake (another great place to visit), we thought to spoil ourselves with a motel room the night before we set out for sleeping in our tent. Not a chance, all rooms were booked up, and this was a Thursday night. We stayed at the Wapiti Campground instead.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Will you not be trailerless for your Canadian portion of your drive? The drive from Banff to Jasper on the Icefield Parkway, is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever take.

If you plan to motel in Jasper, you most definitely will need reservations. Two years ago in late September, when headed out for a mulit-day canoe trip on Maligne Lake (another great place to visit), we thought to spoil ourselves with a motel room the night before we set out for sleeping in our tent. Not a chance, all rooms were booked up, and this was a Thursday night. We stayed at the Wapiti Campground instead.
Correct, this is on the way West. Might have to just go the hotel route for the area so I know I've got somewhere to stay. Not big on tenting in the rain as it sounds like deciding at the last minute won't work.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Padlin

Many great suggestions here and I would certainly second seeing the Cdn Rockies, and in fact since you are going out without your trailer why not go with your original suggestion of going through Canada. Yes US 2 from the Soo to Duluth is easier (just don't do it at night - I saw 15 deer last year on this route) but you will miss the wonderfully scenic route across the top of Superior and the chance to stop at places like Thunder Bay and see the world class restored early 19th century fur trading fort, Old Fort William.

Also you mentioned crossing at Niagara, how about going north from Syracuse and up through Ottawa? I just googled Springfield to Sudbury and it's four miles shorter although a touch longer in time but you avoid the traffic bottlenecks you will likely experience around Toronto.

Yes gas in Canada is much more but when will you get a chance to see most of our country unless you take advantage on the way out where you'll be getting better gas mileage anyway not towing?

Have a great trip out and back! We are looking forward to doing the same in 2015 (unless we buy Alf's trailer next year)

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm hoping to do the TransCanadian Railway for my 70th birthday, if I can remember when that is? TRAINS ACROSS CANADA GREAT PRICES
Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm hoping to do the TransCanadian Railway for my 70th birthday, if I can remember when that is? TRAINS ACROSS CANADA GREAT PRICES
That would be a cool trip, particularly the section through the Rockies. (My wife travelled on the Rockies section many years ago). Not really correct to call it "Trans Canadian", however, as the trip starts in Toronto, which is about 3000 km west of the furthest east point in Canada.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
After picking up our Escape in September we spent a week in the Canadian Rockies and it was beautiful! That was one reason we decided to drive all the way from MN instead of getting ours delivered.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #39

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Once we pick up our 19 and weather permitting, we will do the Bannf-Jasper thing before heading south to visit our daughter & family in Montana. It has been on my bucket list since hearing about it as a teenager back in 1956.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote