Dry Camping - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
"The word “bundok” (boondock) comes from Tagalog, the language of the Philippine Islands, and means “mountain". Definitions include, “rural country; the backwoods” and, “place remote from civilization". General usage of the term boondocking in the RV world is often used inaccurately to describe the function of camping without hook-ups, not where you do it.

"Dry camping, a more accurate term, would include camping in primitive campgrounds (like the forest service), Walmart parking lots, RV rallies, truck stops, highway rest stops - or anywhere that electrical, water, and sewage hookups are not available. Boondocking defines where you dry camp - in the boonies, open desert, backwoods, and away from civilization. Simply put, all boondocking is dry camping, but all dry camping is not boondocking." - Bob Difley, Boondocking 101, accessed 2/19/2015 via truckcampermagazine.com

Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Then there is "stealth camping" which is what truck campers do while parked on city streets.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
"The word “bundok” (boondock) comes from Tagalog, the language of the Philippine Islands, and means “mountain". Definitions include, “rural country; the backwoods” and, “place remote from civilization". General usage of the term boondocking in the RV world is often used inaccurately to describe the function of camping without hook-ups, not where you do it.

"Dry camping, a more accurate term, would include camping in primitive campgrounds (like the forest service), Walmart parking lots, RV rallies, truck stops, highway rest stops - or anywhere that electrical, water, and sewage hookups are not available. Boondocking defines where you dry camp - in the boonies, open desert, backwoods, and away from civilization. Simply put, all boondocking is dry camping, but all dry camping is not boondocking." - Bob Difley, Boondocking 101, accessed 2/19/2015 via truckcampermagazine.com
Interesting on the background of boondocking. To me this definition fits what I think of it, as you are camping out in the boondocks (away from the masses).

I wonder if 'dry camping' is more of an American term, having not heard of it. What they define here is what most people I know do for RV camping, so I wonder why this fellow decided to add 'dry', when in fact it is just 'camping'. Maybe we should start calling camping with services "wet camping". The word dry in the term is what threw me, as it really makes no sense, if you do have water (and booze).

I guess anyone can make up a definition.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

Excellent post. Thanks

Bu I will still use the term boondocking whenever we don't plug in cause it sounds cool!!
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Then there is "stealth camping" which is what truck campers do while parked on city streets.
I do this when on the road, and just wanting to stop to sleep. Never had an issue. Stop around 10PMish, jump into the trailer to sleep, then wake up for a quick coffee and bite, and back on the road by 6AMish.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Has anyone added a water pump expansion tank to their trailer for use when dry camping? pros, cons?
What is a "water pump expansion tank"? I Googled and found reference to an expansion tank placed after the water pump to lower pump run time. Is this it? These are only a few gallons so wouldn't stretch water storage much.

We use a 12v water pump to fill the trailer fresh water tank from a portable tank. We buy filtered water (by the gallon, coin operated machines), transport to the trailer in our 7gallon tank, then pump into the trailer. Very handy when we don't have water hookup OR when the faucet water isn't palitable. Will work using any good water source, purchased or not. The tank stays in the TV to have when exploring off road.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #27

Trailer: None
A tank used with a well to prevent short cycling is a pressure tank ,which is designed to maintain pressure in a domestic water system
A tank used with hydronic heating is an expansion tank . Water in boilers used for space heating expands when the boiler is under fire.
The tanks are designed/ built for different purposes.
I have looked at using a small bladder type pressure tank (2 gallon) to stop my pump from short cycling and to stabilize water pressure / flow rate
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
What is a "water pump expansion tank"? I Googled and found reference to an expansion tank placed after the water pump to lower pump run time. Is this it?

Thanks.
The correct name is "accumulator tank". They contain a bladder that is pressurized on one side, typically 30 psi. They smooth out the flow of water and do allow small amounts of water to be used without the pump coming on. That action alone also helps conserve water. They work, I've used them extensively and also I've used a day tank setup where it gravity feeds, allowing for smaller more controlled use of water. A hand pump also is good for controlling and using small amounts of water.

I've been in boating situations where I was over a month between taking on water so one learns to conserve and stretch it out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hello Everyone, I'd like to start a new thread for dry camping. Anyone interested?
This is a great topic. The details of resource management are what make Dry/Boondocking work. Hearing the details from those that have experience is great.
Having never Boondocked for more than few day's and hoping to learn how to spend a month out in the Boonies. All the aspects are of interest to me : Water…Batteries….Food……Where…..When……, ETC.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I wonder if 'dry camping' is more of an American term, having not heard of it.
Could be Jim. It's a very common term in the US. Many campground websites, BLM sites, etc say "dry camping only" or something similar, and that is pretty much universally understood here to mean "no hookups".