dual 6 volts where are they located - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
What is the difference in weight between two 12Volt batteries and two 6Volt batteries?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
About as much as a henway.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Hi: MyronL...I'll bite; is a "Henway" as much as a Steinway"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Battery weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
What is the difference in weight between two 12Volt batteries and two 6Volt batteries?
From the interstate battery site
Single 6 volt, middle grade of three 64 lbs. so 128lbs for 2
Group 27 12 volt. 50 lbs
Group 29 12 volt 59.4 lbs
Close enough for an estimate. I could tell the difference in tongue weight by what it took to flex the spring bars on the weight dist. Hitch when we changed from the single group 27 to the dual 6 volts. Had to use the cheater instead of my bare hands. But with the 150 solar, I really like the sixes. Might move a little of my heavy stuff from the front to the back to drop my tongue weight when I set up this spring. Have to see. So. Pretty big chicken.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Doesn't look like very much. Are you thinking of going to two group 29's? I went that route. Got one 29 with the trailer and added a second one. I have a battery selector switch so I can isolate them and only use one at a time. Always have a charged one in reserve. Works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
My 2009 19' has dual sixes under the passenger dinette bench, vented to the outside. Placement seems to vary considerably by RV size, age, and perhaps convenience.
Size - yes, the design varies by model (and thus size), as outlined above
Age - I think the change from inside to outside for the 19' is the only significant placement change within a model, but it does appear that was one change with time. On a more minor scale, the placement within the dinette bench for the 21' (at the side or at the rear) might depend on dinette style (regular or "U"), but it might be a change with time as well
Convenience - it's worth asking about choices if one location seems more convenient than another, but I think for each model there is a well-defined standard location
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Thanks Myron! I'll put a sticky on this and file it where I've filed the rest of your texts.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #28

Quote:
That depends on the battery sizes and models - there is a wide choice in both 12 volt and 6 volt. For the same type of construction and capacity, the combination will weigh about the same regardless of voltage or number of boxes.

For the dual 6V configuation, Escape uses the common "golf cart" size, which is GC2; they use the Interstate GC2-XHD (or some slight variation of that), which weighs 64 pounds (so 128 pounds for the pair).

For the single 12V configuration, the standard Escape offering is a Group 27 size, and a Group 29 size is optional. If these are Interstate, there is no real equivalent to the construction of the GC2-XHD, but the "RV" batteries they do sell would be the SRM-27 (50 pounds) and the SRM-29 (60 pounds). Two of those Group 29 (12V) would then be about 8 pounds lighter than two GC2 (6V), but the lighter combination might not have as much capacity (Interstate doesn't provide 20-hour capacity ratings for their "RV" batteries).

In Trojan's Signature line there are close (but not quite) comparable 12 V and 6 V products:
  • 27MTH - Group 27, 12 volt, 115 A-h, 61 pounds (230 A-h @ 12V, 122 pounds total)
  • T-105 - GC2 size, 6 volt, 225 A-h, 62 pounds (225 A-h @12V, 124 pounds total)
So the short answer is: there is no weight difference between comparable battery sets.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That depends on the battery sizes and models - there is a wide choice in both 12 volt and 6 volt. For the same type of construction and capacity, the combination will weigh about the same regardless of voltage or number of boxes.

For the dual 6V configuation, Escape uses the common "golf cart" size, which is GC2; they use the Interstate GC2-XHD (or some slight variation of that), which weighs 64 pounds (so 128 pounds for the pair).

For the single 12V configuration, the standard Escape offering is a Group 27 size, and a Group 29 size is optional. If these are Interstate, there is no real equivalent to the construction of the GC2-XHD, but the "RV" batteries they do sell would be the SRM-27 (50 pounds) and the SRM-29 (60 pounds). Two of those Group 29 (12V) would then be about 8 pounds lighter than two GC2 (6V), but the lighter combination might not have as much capacity (Interstate doesn't provide 20-hour capacity ratings for their "RV" batteries).

In Trojan's Signature line there are close (but not quite) comparable 12 V and 6 V products:
  • 27MTH - Group 27, 12 volt, 115 A-h, 61 pounds (230 A-h @ 12V, 122 pounds total)
  • T-105 - GC2 size, 6 volt, 225 A-h, 62 pounds (225 A-h @12V, 124 pounds total)
So the short answer is: there is no weight difference between comparable battery sets.
Good to know, Thanks.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
My 2009 19' has dual sixes under the passenger dinette bench, vented to the outside. Placement seems to vary considerably by RV size, age, and perhaps convenience.
Yours is earlier and I want to say that this was changed after yours but don't know if you have the front box. Of course, it may have been changed again lately so people who have picked up 19's in recent months with and without front box may comment. Ours were in the front box on the 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The weight difference is not much when you're running out of juice on a cold night.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Anybody has 2 times the two 6 V ? Where in a 19 will the second set be located?
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Don't know of anyone except Steve (Hotfishtacos) who has 4 6V's, and I've no idea where he mounted the other two, since he's been absent from the forum for some time. The most logical place from a weight distribution standpoint is probably on the back bumper in a couple of battery boxes.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Don't know of anyone except Steve (Hotfishtacos) who has 4 6V's, and I've no idea where he mounted the other two, since he's been absent from the forum for some time. The most logical place from a weight distribution standpoint is probably on the back bumper in a couple of battery boxes.
The rear bumper would be a long way back for balance in a 19' with that much mass. I think Steve put two on the tongue and two under the (front) dinette, but I'll have to search for a link to a proper description.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Don't know of anyone except Steve (Hotfishtacos) who has 4 6V's, and I've no idea where he mounted the other two...
Well, that took some searching... and as it turns out I was confusing Steve's installation with a discussion of potential locations in a 21'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I had 4 up front in the box and pulled 2 out to try boon-docking with only 2. I can put the other 2 back in easily. If I go with the DC refer I will add the 2 back but may put them on the back bumper to keep the tongue weight down. However, the rear bumper on the 19' is too close to the trailer to put batteries in a box inside the bumper outline. If I did I would cut the bumper off and move it back a few inches then reattach it with steel platforms inside the outline for the batteries.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I am not sure that I have ever heard of Escape installing four batteries. Maybe once, if then, and that was a medical issue. They must have done it at some time but unless you plan to have something very different from the usual Escape set-ups, don't know why you would need them. No one is having any real problem with two batteries that I have heard. Maybe you have something unusual in mind.

The person who added two more himself did so apparently because of the refrigerator, primarily. Escape now has a new 6.7 for many of the models that is much improved over the older ones.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #37

Quote:
I have two 12 volt Group 29s in the tongue box. I can use them independently or together (micro wave only). I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

If I wanted even more capacity I'd go with two Group 31's. Depends though on what you have in mind for usage but it does keep the wiring requirements etc. to a minimum.

Ron
Old 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have two 12 volt Group 29s in the tongue box. I can use them independently or together (micro wave only). I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

If I wanted even more capacity I'd go with two Group 31's. Depends though on what you have in mind for usage but it does keep the wiring requirements etc. to a minimum.

Ron
I'm using a pair of Group 31's, SLA, 12v batteries, wired permanently in parallel. Yes, I have all my amps (eggs) in one basket.

That basket is located under the dining seat in our '21, roughly in place of the original battery.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I'm using a pair of Group 31's, SLA, 12v batteries, wired permanently in parallel. Yes, I have all my amps (eggs) in one basket.

That basket is located under the dining seat in our '21, roughly in place of the original battery.
Typical Group 31 AGM batteries weigh about the same as GC2 batteries, so the combination is essentially the same size and weight as the factory optional dual 6V combination.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post

--
Alan
Depends on one's comfort level. For me after so many years of boating, sometimes off shore, my life basically depended on having a usable battery. It's deeply ingrained in me to isolate my batteries. A friend set off from Panama for a milk run to Hawaii. Things didn't go well and to boot the battery switch was set to "all" 71 days later when he finally made it to Hawaii he could barely walk.

Not too much danger of having a nasty situation happen in a trailer but knowing I'll always have one charged battery ready to go gives me peace of mind. Whatever works for ya.

Ron