Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
thanks; are you talking Temper pedic type?
I have never tryed the Tempur-pedic mattresses. We got ours here in Calgary at Labbe Bedding, though Dormir is quite good too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
So you normally use the center fan for general cooling and cooking gaseous by-products BUT fire up both fans when extra "cooling" is needed ?
I use the center fan as the primary for two reasons. It is closer to the stove for removing unwanted cooking byproducts, and second, it is further from the bed and I am very sensitive to noise.

Someone else remarked on exhausting from the center location and keeping the window near the bed open. Well, with 2 fans on exhaust you could have a hurricane in bed. Not that I could sleep under those conditions, but I sure would be "ventilated".
--
Alan

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Someone else remarked on exhausting from the center location and keeping the window near the bed open. Well, with 2 fans on exhaust you could have a hurricane in bed. Not that I could sleep under those conditions, but I sure would be "ventilated".
--
Alan
That was probably me. I could certainly see the hurricane affect happened with two fans on full exhaust, as we only have one on low under those conditions.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Classic 21ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Well, with 2 fans on exhaust you could have a hurricane in bed. Not that I could sleep under those conditions, but I sure would be "ventilated".:
Thanks for your real world experience with two Maxx fans Alan.
I am slowly coming to the conclusion that one centrally located one, where the AC would have been, is the best plan.

I am a big believer in exchanging indoor/outdoor air for health as well as efficient comfort. Besides on 12v what good is an AC. The retirement house I designed will have constant highly filtered low flow air exchanges, 24/7 unless of course the surrounding air get a heavy dose of pollution from whatever source. A volcano erupts, refinery explodes, chemical tank cars derailment - your typical neighborhood air polluting sources we read about. Alan, when that happens, we will certainly shut down the intake and exhaust fans and close the windows.

I like the idea of bringing in the pristine outdoor air into our 21' environment for the experience as well as natural cooling.

Thanks for sharing that Alan, very helpful.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
If you swap locations for vent/Maxxfan you might want smoke colored plastic on the vent. Otherwise you might have a light issue with sleeping- not unlike what those with 5'ers say about the escape hatch, although it isn't directly overhead.

I like your idea about down the road another owner being able to put in a new unit with a new warranty and possibly of better design & efficiency and perhaps quieter as well. Except for the digital thermostat that controls both the heater & AC not available I see that as a better way to go for those of us who don't plan on using AC due to the way we camp.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Classic 21ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If you swap locations for vent/Maxxfan you might want smoke colored plastic on the vent. Otherwise you might have a light issue with sleeping
Ross, glad you had a great trip, welcome back.

I am confused with the smoke vs white fan lid. While visiting ETI, Nigel said neither lid offered "skylight see through" effect. Is this the case ? Do both block light about the same?

We use free overnight stops a lot while en-route and lights coming through the ceiling are a pain when you want to sleep.

Yes we like AC as much as anyone and would consider it if we were in humid areas a lot and attached to power. Since we will plan our travel latitudes according to season and we avoid places that offer power, an AC is a waste for us. The trailer is wired for it and a subsequent owner can drop in the latest and greatest technology available at that time and it will be brand new to boot !
Old 10-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
If I were dropping $30k on a trailer and lived in SoCal, I'd get the AC. The trailer doubles as a nice guest cottage and the cost of installation is pretty minimal $1k when the trailer's being built. Might cost $1500 as an add-on paying US labor. You don't need it until you need it, and why pay more down the road to install it for the next guy?

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It would be tough to go to many of the SW through SE areas of the country in the Sept/Oct Apr/May months without AC and those are really awesome months to go to those areas before they get deluged with the "Snowbirds." The temps are in transition and are fringe with sometimes hot days but cooling nights and while comfortable to enjoy the areas, would be uncomfortable without AC in the trailer. Respectfully, Just my thoughts to throw out there for consideration, but each needs to go with whatever they know works for them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #19

[QUOTE=Santiago;113339]Ross, glad you had a great trip, welcome back.

I am confused with the smoke vs white fan lid. While visiting ETI, Nigel said neither lid offered "skylight see through" effect. Is this the case ? Do both block light about the same?

The standard lens is opaque and we like the fact that it offers natural light over the kitchen area. The area over the Maxxfan doesn't allow much light in even when fully open.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It would be tough to go to many of the SW through SE areas of the country in the Sept/Oct Apr/May months without AC and those are really awesome months to go to those areas before they get deluged with the "Snowbirds." The temps are in transition and are fringe with sometimes hot days but cooling nights and while comfortable to enjoy the areas, would be uncomfortable without AC in the trailer. Respectfully, Just my thoughts to throw out there for consideration, but each needs to go with whatever they know works for them.
Point taken; when we left a week before Labor Day(don't go in Summer due to the hoards) we would've normally stopped along the Colorado River near Needles, however it was 109 degrees so we kept going to Williams. Long first day of driving, however we do not like RV parks, and dislike generators even more. The rest of the trip through CO was fantastic. There is a ying/yang to everything- but we still have zero regrets for not having another 100 lbs of something on the roof that is another maintenance item we would probably never use. The whole resale thing is just some people's opinion. Hope we can at least agree on that one.