Electric awning? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 01:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Nash 23.5A, Escape 21 coming in March
Electric awning?

Hello, just curious if anyone has had an electric awning installed on their Escape trailer?
One similar to the one on the Lance trailers! Thanks, Kevin
Baca56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not foresee that option happening on the fiberglass unit as the construction more or less would prohibit such. One needs flush walls and ceilings for those units (had 2 Lances with them) and Escape's just do not have those features, fortunately. That is what made me drawn to the Escape, no seams, no leaks and good towing mpg.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, that's kinda what i was thinking. We love the Escape and have a 21 on order. Kevin
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not foresee that option happening on the fiberglass unit as the construction more or less would prohibit such. One needs flush walls and ceilings for those units (had 2 Lances with them) and Escape's just do not have those features, fortunately. That is what made me drawn to the Escape, no seams, no leaks and good towing mpg.
What are flush walls Jim?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The electric awning we have (on a motorhome) has the motor inside the roller, so it mounts just like the similar but non-powered awning on the same RV. It does have a different arm design from the one used by Escape, but again the manual one does too - it's just a different brand. If there's an electric model of the right size that mounts the same way, it just sounds like a bit of wiring work.

The challenge would be if all of the electric models use an arm design with a vertical track on side wall of the RV, since the Escape side wall is curved and those tracks are straight. Similarly, even without tracks if the arms must be straight to work (as some designs need to be), that's a problem because the arms on the Escape are bent to suit the trailer shape.

The electric awning seems a little decadent, but it is convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hmm.... these comments would make sense for an electric slideout, but I don't get it for an electric awning.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
What are flush walls Jim?
I think he means with straight side walls. That's because the mounting rails for the power awning attach to the side of the trailer and they're straight rails - no curvature. They need to fit flush with the wall.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Friends of ours just purchased a new 50K fifth wheel
The trailer has an electric awning that works poorly
He cusses the awning everytime he deploys it and is talking about installing a manual awning,
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Friends of ours just purchased a new 50K fifth wheel
The trailer has an electric awning that works poorly
He cusses the awning everytime he deploys it and is talking about installing a manual awning,
I suppose brands and models vary, and individual experience varies. I only have that one power awning, which works without issue every time - just push the button. It is inherently more complicated than manual (although other than one motor the actual mechanism is the same on this RV's power and manual awnings), so there is a greater chance of problems.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Carefree latltitude awning has no vertical framework. I wonder if something like that would work? Kevin
Old 06-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca56 View Post
Carefree latitude awning has no vertical framework. I wonder if something like that would work? Kevin
Yes it would, but that model is OEM only, and is only sold to manufacturers. Another issue is that the awning brackets are different, and must be installed with a backing plate. So, that would mean tearing up the interior of the trailer in order to install the plates. Seriously, I think it's a non-starter.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #11

I browsed a bit through the Carefree awning line before an earlier post, and I too noticed that Latitude is powered and doesn't have a channel mounted to the wall. It also doesn't have arms extending to anywhere but the top of the wall where the rolled-up awning is mounted. This style is somewhat popular for high-end motorhomes, but when extended it put a huge torque on the wall structure. I wouldn't consider it without consulting with the RV manufacturer about structure, and that's probably why Carefree describes it as "OEM only"