electric space heater - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Hi all, not to start a conflict.. but as parents of a kid with allergies... this is no laughing matter. I know kids out there who can die just breathing dusts from peanuts or walnuts. There are many theories and research trying to find cause or correlation, and I have my suspicions on why.
But, really, it's not a laughing matter, so please be respectful.
Some of us are absolutely aware of that and I would have thought that there had been enough publicity on it so that everyone would. There apparently has been an increase in the number of children with such allergies in recent years. So I take it that they are not set on the cause yet but are still looking at it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
But, really, it's not a laughing matter, so please be respectful.
Sure, but this post was about hilarious stupidity, not allergies. In case you didn't notice, it's a warning on a container of peanuts that it contains peanuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Lawsuits caused that warning.
Similar to why you can't buy an easy to use gas can. There are warnings all over them and people still poured gas on lit fires and sued ( and won).
Just like this label for peanuts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
With all due respect to allergy sufferers, let's try a different example, "Warning: This fish contains seafood." Or "Warning: This chocolate cake contains chocolate." I hope most people can still find humor in that type of printed consumer "warning" regardless of any personal malady. If not, then we've gotten to the point in our society where humor itself now suffers a bleak prognosis....

Now, what was this thread about anyway?? Electric space heaters??
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This was my solution. Though sure most have already seen this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Teacher friend of ours noted that at her school, populated by students from low income families, there were no students with peanut allergies.
I heard recently that studies have shown that babies with early exposure mostly have less allergic issues, and there are now parents who are focusing on common allergies and ensuring their kids get more exposure, all while monitoring them well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Pelonis cube

The heater we and several others use is a Pelonis NT20-12D. It has full heat--1500w, half heat--presumably 750w, and fan settings. Size 8" by 7" by 4" deep. Fits in the cabinet under the fridge.

It's all about the thermostat "swing". Another brand we tried held the temperature too long and took too long to start again. This one seems about as good as you'll get from a lesser expensive one.

The lower wattage middle setting is useful when running other stuff at the same time.

It does have that 3 foot warning, but what would you put if you were manufacturing them? The housing doesn't really get too hot to worry me. We generally put it on the floor under the table farthest from the bed, so we only get generalized heating, not something blowing on us.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Comfort Glow BDISC6 Original Brown Box Ceramic Disc Heater 5,200 BTUs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP4YCUG..._HxefAbTZF1MDW

We use the Original Brown Box, Dave. Invented by the same man, Pelonis, It Too is thermostatically controlled with lower settings. The thing we like about it is the continuous low hum of the fan that does not cycle off. The heat element(s) do cycle to maintain the desired setting, but that is silent. We have not camped during ski season, our lowest temp.is in the low30’s*F, but the cube does fine at that temp. on the lowest setting.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Comfort Glow BDISC6 Original Brown Box Ceramic Disc Heater 5,200 BTUs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP4YCUG..._HxefAbTZF1MDW

We use the Original Brown Box, Dave. Invented by the same man, Pelonis, It Too is thermostatically controlled with lower settings. The thing we like about it is the continuous low hum of the fan that does not cycle off. The heat element(s) do cycle to maintain the desired setting, but that is silent. We have not camped during ski season, our lowest temp.is in the low30’s*F, but the cube does fine at that temp. on the lowest setting.
The Original Brown Box sounds like the one Jon has mentioned in the past, the constantly running fan means it doesn't wake you. He had said it's an original or old style Pelonis.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The Original Brown Box sounds like the one Jon has mentioned in the past, the constantly running fan means it doesn't wake you. He had said it's an original or old style Pelonis.
Yes, I know we got the recommendation from this forum, but could not recall from whom. Thanks for jogging my memory!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Just a reminder - some of the reviews from those that had the old version & purchased the new were not favorable. I love my Pelonis, but it is a 1989 version.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How big's your heater? I have a little cube heater that I can put up on the counter or on the floor. Of course I have a bigger trailer and there are only 2 of us. It keeps a steady temp if used with a remote thermostat, the built in ones allow too big of a swing. Not sure if this is the same thermostat, but it's the same idea. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753DR1PC...detail_2?psc=1
I use the same setup, ceramic cube heater with remote thermostat, and place the cube on the dinette table. It keeps the trailer at a remarkably even temperature, and the cube has a tip-over switch. It ls much more quiet than the propane furnace, although if we come back to a cold trailer, we will fire up the furnace to get the temperature up faster.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #31
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I heard recently that studies have shown that babies with early exposure mostly have less allergic issues, and there are now parents who are focusing on common allergies and ensuring their kids get more exposure, all while monitoring them well.
At least in our case, early exposure has nothing to do with the cause.. I believe this is an example of remediation, not the cause. It doesn't explain why so many kids suddenly have all these allergies to begin with.

Quote: War Eagle.
I'm sure most of us are of above average intelligence. Some times these labels need to be dumb'ed down for the whole population which includes below intelligence folks who might be taking care of our kids. As example, a lot of people don't know "white chocolate" contains no chocolate... The other benefit a label like this serves is that sometimes a parent doesn't know his/her child is allergic to peanuts, but knows child is allergic to sesame, then he/she should avoid this peanut product.. as seen in this label.

Quote: gbaglo
Teacher friend of ours noted that at her school, populated by students from low income families, there were no students with peanut allergies. <unquote>
Some people also say that the Amish community doesn't get vaccinated and they have no known issues. You may want to check with your teacher friend on the vaccination rate of her students.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote