electric space heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
electric space heater

Took the new 17A on the first winter ski trip last weekend- so good to get it out! We did have electricity, and so ran ceramic tower type heater that worked perfectly keeping us warm, but really got in the way when everyone was up. Does anyone have any recommendations on more compact heaters that they use? Definitely appreciate quietness....

Thanks for the advice
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed a small wall mounted electric heater in all my Escapes. Safe, out of the way, thermostatically controlled, quiet and saves on propane. Here is a link
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ions-8841.html
Old 11-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #3

Thanks Jim- that looks like the way to go as much as we will be getting out in the winter!!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How big's your heater? I have a little cube heater that I can put up on the counter or on the floor. Of course I have a bigger trailer and there are only 2 of us. It keeps a steady temp if used with a remote thermostat, the built in ones allow too big of a swing. Not sure if this is the same thermostat, but it's the same idea. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753DR1PC...detail_2?psc=1
Old 11-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

Thanks Bob! I knew I was asking the right folks
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I wonder if there is any such thing as an electric heater such as our space heater that does not have directions to keep bedding and such at least three feet away. That may have something to do with why Escape stopped putting the furnace under the bed. If that was not their reason, that is another one. It was not electric but probably has the same situation. I looked at directions for a Broan and that is what they said.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I wonder if there is any such thing as an electric heater such as our space heater that does not have directions to keep bedding and such at least three feet away. That may have something to do with why Escape stopped putting the furnace under the bed. If that was not their reason, that is another one. It was not electric but probably has the same situation. I looked at directions for a Broan and that is what they said.
Lawsuits caused that warning.
Similar to why you can't buy an easy to use gas can. There are warnings all over them and people still poured gas on lit fires and sued ( and won).
Just like this label for peanuts.
Attached Thumbnails
peanuts.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Teacher friend of ours noted that at her school, populated by students from low income families, there were no students with peanut allergies.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Lawsuits caused that warning.
Similar to why you can't buy an easy to use gas can. There are warnings all over them and people still poured gas on lit fires and sued ( and won).
Just like this label for peanuts.
Electric heaters are absolutely known to have caused fires. We do not use our electric heater while sleeping. We use plenty of covers instead.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on more compact heaters that they use? Definitely appreciate quietness....
I'd like a built-in one on our 19 but I don't like the placement options.

My solution is a bit down and dirty but it works for us. I took a baseboard thermostat and made a bracket so that it could attach to the cabinet door near the bed. At night it's easy to reach down and tweak the temperature.

It has a cord on it long enough for us to place the cube heater up near the dinette blowing towards the rear when we're in bed and when we're sitting at the dinette the heater is near the bed blowing towards the dinette. Works for us.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
04-09-2014 8-32-28 PM48_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Similar to why you can't buy an easy to use gas can.
I've spilled more gas with the newer gas cans that are designed to reduce vapors than I ever did with the old-fashioned ones...usually with every single transfer of product.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Teacher friend of ours noted that at her school, populated by students from low income families, there were no students with peanut allergies.
From NPR's web site dated 01/17.
"After multiple recent studies showing that feeding peanut-containing foods to infants can reduce the risk of peanut allergies, there are new federal guidelines for parents about when to start feeding their infants such foods. The National Institutes of Health announced Thursday that a panel of allergy experts recommends that parents introduce peanut-containing foods into the diets of babies as young as 4 to 6 months."
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I've spilled more gas with the newer gas cans that are designed to reduce vapors than I ever did with the old-fashioned ones...usually with every single transfer of product.
Same here. Don't tell the PC police but you can modify the new safety cans to work like the old ones. You can get replacement spouts without the safety gizmo's and add on vents.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #14

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Same here. Don't tell the PC police but you can modify the new safety cans to work like the old ones. You can get replacement spouts without the safety gizmo's and add on vents.
I have all the original spouts to my cans setting on a shelf. I always replace them with the older style so I do not have to use coarse language when they are being used. If I give one away like I did back during Irma I put the old spouts back on.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:
From NPR's web site dated 01/17.
"After multiple recent studies showing that feeding peanut-containing foods to infants can reduce the risk of peanut allergies, there are new federal guidelines for parents about when to start feeding their infants such foods. The National Institutes of Health announced Thursday that a panel of allergy experts recommends that parents introduce peanut-containing foods into the diets of babies as young as 4 to 6 months."
They used to say that pregnant women should avoid eating peanuts or nuts but they apparently reversed themselves a few years ago and now say the opposite. There have been some deaths, including or perhaps mostly children, due to peanut allergies. I understand that the labels are actually being put on many foods voluntarily. Perhaps they have to be on some foods and not others. Some parents here may know about that.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hmmm,
I wonder if the penalty for failure to label peanut or removing the safety spout on the gas can is the same as removing the label on your mattress, ever read one of those.....Is It Really Illegal to Remove Your Mattress Tag? | Mental Floss
Old 11-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Heck you don't have to get replacement spouts. A quick mod gets rid of that annoying push and hold etc. routine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
They used to say that pregnant women should avoid eating peanuts or nuts but they apparently reversed themselves a few years ago and now say the opposite. There have been some deaths, including or perhaps mostly children, due to peanut allergies. I understand that the labels are actually being put on many foods voluntarily. Perhaps they have to be on some foods and not others. Some parents here may know about that.
We heard the same report, Cathy. The peanut allergy is actually caused because the mother did not eat peanut products during pregnancy.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #19
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Hi all, not to start a conflict.. but as parents of a kid with allergies... this is no laughing matter. I know kids out there who can die just breathing dusts from peanuts or walnuts. There are many theories and research trying to find cause or correlation, and I have my suspicions on why.
But, really, it's not a laughing matter, so please be respectful.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
oh, and to the OP, we found placing the small desktop space heater on the fold-out counter to be the best place to direct heat at the mattress... but you do have to put it away every morning.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote