Enough already…. - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We are seeing many types of birds that have never visited us before. I wonder if all the cold weather isn't causing them to winter over a little farther south this year?
Possibly. On the other hand, a local birdwatcher has explained that our lack of redpolls (a type of finch) this year is due to an excellent supply of pine cones - they are staying in northern forests instead of coming south and to our feeders. The temperatures are apparently not a problem for them.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've never owned a vehicle with a remote starter (until a few days ago, having only lived in Alberta for three decades, and I haven't tried that one yet), so I think I'm allowed to point out that you can go out for a moment to turn the key - maybe while you are walking the dog or getting the newspaper - and then let the truck warm up while you are inside.
Brian. I know I could go out, turn the key, and come back in; but once out I may as well stay out. So I just complain about the cold a bit sometimes. Until a few years ago, I had never used a remote starter either. When they work, they are really nice to have. I am finding that the two I have used are not as reliable as I would have expected them to be.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I think idling the engine for a long time is not good for the engine or the environment.
Maybe order heated seats instead.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think idling the engine for a long time is not good for the engine or the environment.
Maybe I need to move to North Vancouver where the climate is more friendly.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I can't claim to be innocent. Used to idle the company car, but I figured that was my office, and they heat office buildings don't they? And, anyway, it was the company car.
Have a law in North Van to prevent idling more than two minutes. Don't think it's really enforced. You'd have to have an angry neighbour to get caught.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Brian. I know I could go out, turn the key, and come back in; but once out I may as well stay out. So I just complain about the cold a bit sometimes. Until a few years ago, I had never used a remote starter either. When they work, they are really nice to have. I am finding that the two I have used are not as reliable as I would have expected them to be.
Plus, the remote start is way more secure than leaving a key in an idling vehicle. This is something that thieves watch for. I hate vehicle thieves too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When it is real cold around here, and your instrument panel is slow to display, a bit of warmth inside the vehicle is a nice thing. Plus, the window has to have a chance to defrost, or it is unsafe to drive.

As far as the vehicle goes, once it is running on all cylinders, and the oil pressure is good, driving it moderately for the first bit is actually a better way to warm it up, even for diesels.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #67

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
In my truck I go from 17 mpg to a bit more then 15 mpg in the winter. Letting it warm up costs a few bucks too.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
One old mechanic friend told me each extreme cold weather start gives an engine as much wear as 500 - 1000 miles of highway driving. I always wondered if he was correct or just pulling numbers out of his___ . (And I would imagine that conventional vs synthetic oil could be a factor in that equation too.... but I surely do NOT want to start one of those oil debates!)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While it there is no doubt a cold weather start puts more wear on an engine, it would be real hard to actually quantify this wear on a vehicle, and I really doubt it would be that bad. I would have vehicles that had the equivalent on a million miles a year put on them. The use of an engine block heater does help a lot though, as it at least warms up a part of your engine, and allows for a quicker complete warm up, with less wear and tear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #70

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's only been snowing for about seven hours in Portland and I'm already sick of it. It's coming down sideways....
Gee, Donna, I will have to be more careful how I send wishes. When I wished that the West would get more snow and rain, I did not mean all at once.

Enjoy your indoor planning weekend, you have lots to dream about your new trailer.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote