Enough already…. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We are seeing many types of birds that have never visited us before. I wonder if all the cold weather isn't causing them to winter over a little farther south this year?
Possibly. On the other hand, a local birdwatcher has explained that our lack of redpolls (a type of finch) this year is due to an excellent supply of pine cones - they are staying in northern forests instead of coming south and to our feeders. The temperatures are apparently not a problem for them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I've never owned a vehicle with a remote starter (until a few days ago, having only lived in Alberta for three decades, and I haven't tried that one yet), so I think I'm allowed to point out that you can go out for a moment to turn the key - maybe while you are walking the dog or getting the newspaper - and then let the truck warm up while you are inside.
Brian. I know I could go out, turn the key, and come back in; but once out I may as well stay out. So I just complain about the cold a bit sometimes. Until a few years ago, I had never used a remote starter either. When they work, they are really nice to have. I am finding that the two I have used are not as reliable as I would have expected them to be.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think idling the engine for a long time is not good for the engine or the environment.
Maybe order heated seats instead.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think idling the engine for a long time is not good for the engine or the environment.
Maybe I need to move to North Vancouver where the climate is more friendly.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #65

I can't claim to be innocent. Used to idle the company car, but I figured that was my office, and they heat office buildings don't they? And, anyway, it was the company car.
Have a law in North Van to prevent idling more than two minutes. Don't think it's really enforced. You'd have to have an angry neighbour to get caught.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Brian. I know I could go out, turn the key, and come back in; but once out I may as well stay out. So I just complain about the cold a bit sometimes. Until a few years ago, I had never used a remote starter either. When they work, they are really nice to have. I am finding that the two I have used are not as reliable as I would have expected them to be.
Plus, the remote start is way more secure than leaving a key in an idling vehicle. This is something that thieves watch for. I hate vehicle thieves too.
Quote:
When it is real cold around here, and your instrument panel is slow to display, a bit of warmth inside the vehicle is a nice thing. Plus, the window has to have a chance to defrost, or it is unsafe to drive.

As far as the vehicle goes, once it is running on all cylinders, and the oil pressure is good, driving it moderately for the first bit is actually a better way to warm it up, even for diesels.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In my truck I go from 17 mpg to a bit more then 15 mpg in the winter. Letting it warm up costs a few bucks too.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
One old mechanic friend told me each extreme cold weather start gives an engine as much wear as 500 - 1000 miles of highway driving. I always wondered if he was correct or just pulling numbers out of his___ . (And I would imagine that conventional vs synthetic oil could be a factor in that equation too.... but I surely do NOT want to start one of those oil debates!)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While it there is no doubt a cold weather start puts more wear on an engine, it would be real hard to actually quantify this wear on a vehicle, and I really doubt it would be that bad. I would have vehicles that had the equivalent on a million miles a year put on them. The use of an engine block heater does help a lot though, as it at least warms up a part of your engine, and allows for a quicker complete warm up, with less wear and tear.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #70

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's only been snowing for about seven hours in Portland and I'm already sick of it. It's coming down sideways....
Gee, Donna, I will have to be more careful how I send wishes. When I wished that the West would get more snow and rain, I did not mean all at once.

Enjoy your indoor planning weekend, you have lots to dream about your new trailer.

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Rosemary. We all occasionally need to be careful what we wish for! Round two of snow is just starting. For giggles and grins I read my Yahoo horoscope every day. This is what today's says:

You may be inspired to travel far and wide -- so even if you're stuck at home for a while, you can at least make big plans. Your great mental energy is perfect for making dreams come true.

Cool huh!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Until a few years ago, I had never used a remote starter either. When they work, they are really nice to have. I am finding that the two I have used are not as reliable as I would have expected them to be.
Remote start systems are inherently complex, and I decided long ago that I did not want one unless it was an integral feature of the car's control systems. My new one came as a feature in a used car; I wouldn't have added it myself. Maybe this weekend I'll master the prep sequence needed when shutting the car down for the remote start to later work - this is due to the manual transmission.

One of the most frustrated guys I've ever seen was standing in his office in the Northwest Territories, trying to remote-start his Ford Windstar, which was only a car length or two away just outside the window. It tried (you could see the lights come on) but just wouldn't work, although when he walked outside and turned the key it started fine.

Quote:
They certainly help! Some cars now have heated steering wheels, as well, but the real challenge is getting - and keeping - the windshield clear.

Quote:
Have a law in North Van to prevent idling more than two minutes.
These laws (typically municipal bylaws) are getting common, but they usually have exemptions. The one in Edmonton applies only in specific locations, and even then only when the outside temperature is above freezing... that's about half the year here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Plus, the remote start is way more secure than leaving a key in an idling vehicle. This is something that thieves watch for. I hate vehicle thieves too. .
True, but in your own driveway? Tough neighborhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The use of an engine block heater does help a lot though, as it at least warms up a part of your engine, and allows for a quicker complete warm up, with less wear and tear.
That's why engine heaters are standard equipment in Alberta - they're not included in the base price, but the new car dealers all insist on putting them in. I think most are never used.

Traditionally "block" heaters have been coolant heaters, installed in a frost plug hole in the block. More recent engines have had external heaters, radiating against the outside of the block. I see some are now engine oil heaters, which makes a lot of sense from an engine wear standpoint.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #73

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Snow

We have a total of 10 inches since Thursday, blowing wind and dry snow makes it a white out. Our normal weather is rain this time of year not 30 degrees colder than normal. Made Reservation to camp next weekend.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6013_3.jpg   IMG_6012_3.jpg  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Chuck, it's supposed to be 50 degrees next weekend. But look out... freezing rain is coming! Expect about 1/2 inch over the next 12 to 24 hours.

Hope the bourbon doesn't run out
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Got snow?
Attached Thumbnails
blueb01a.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #76

Nice shot!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #77

Chuck, I bet you just wanted to show off the Kubota. Nice little rig! I switched from an inadequate lawn tractor with snow blade to a proper walk-behind snowblower a couple years ago, but occasionally a loader would be nice. I suppose those of you getting dumped on might not want to hear this, but I haven't fired up the snowthrower for couple of weeks... but it is cold, if that makes you feel better.

Myron, beautiful work as always.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #78

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
We have a total of 10 inches since Thursday, blowing wind and dry snow makes it a white out. Our normal weather is rain this time of year not 30 degrees colder than normal. Made Reservation to camp next weekend.
Chuck
Ice pellet rain last night, crunch crunch walking outside.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #79

We've been waiting for the snow to come across the border. Apparently pay-back for winters past. Due tonight.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #80

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Don't get too excited Glenn... We only got 1" last night - 90 miles south of you.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote