Equalizer hitch changes - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
I had the anderson on my Casita and I thought it was a pain. You had to be perfectly straight hooking up or the chains wouldn't make up. We bought the Pro series with trunnion from ETI and they work flawlessly on our 21. Easy on and easy off. Really happy with them except for the price we paid for them in Canada.
Jerry
Some folks have reported the same issue with the Andersen. A bit off topic, but as for us, we've never had a problem. Once you're locked in to the ball, just jack it UP some, and the triangle plate slips on with no difficulty at all, even when it's not dead straight. In fact, we've been able to hook up when the ball pin is as much as 20 degrees or so from straight. For unhooking, same thing - jack it UP first, in order to get slack in the chains, drop the triangle plate, then lower and unhook.

In situations where the angle is way off, you can always just loosen the chain nut on the other end (where the shock absorber material is) and you can still hook up. Of course, you'll need to even up the chain on that side once you're hooked up. Once we understood thoroughly how the Andersen worked, it's been easy ever since.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
For what its worth I have been told the the E2 is a Chinese knock off of the American made Equalizer.
I don't know - can you call another product of the same company a "knock off"? The Fastway E2 has the sliding bracket design of the Equal-i-zer, but with a conventional head (Escape supplies the trunnion version, but there's also a round-bar version) instead of the Equal-i-zer's "tri wing" clamping head, so the E2 might be a cheaper to build. Both are products of Progress Mfg. Inc. of Provo, Utah; the Equal-i-zer web page says "made in the USA", but I don't see a manufacturing location on the E2 web page. Given the level of sophistication of this hardware, it's hard to imagine a country on the planet without the technology to build these products properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Procedure is the same for the Pro Series.
Jack it up ( within reason ) to take tension off the chains to attach or release.