Escape 19' as an office? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Escape 19' as an office?

Hi All...

we're replacing our 17B with a 19 next year and I have a question. We'll be using the 19 for a few months during the early spring to escape Maine mud seasons. I'm not retired, but I CAN work from anywhere as long as I have internet (I'm a web application developer). So I'll be spending many many hours at the dinette working on my computer. My concern is the ergonomics of this set-up. Do any of you have any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, opinions, etc. about this?

I might have the height of the table lowered to make typing more comfortable. Thinking about not having a "fixed" table at the dinette so I could push it away if I need more space.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I see no reason why you could not make the 19 work for your needs. The dinette is plenty big.

Table and desk height are usually the same, but I know it is nice to have the keyboard a bit lower for comfort. Maybe you could mount a keyboard tray to pull out with the table top pushed to the other side side. This would not likely work for a laptop though.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hi All...

we're replacing our 17B with a 19 next year and I have a question. We'll be using the 19 for a few months during the early spring to escape Maine mud seasons. I'm not retired, but I CAN work from anywhere as long as I have internet (I'm a web application developer). So I'll be spending many many hours at the dinette working on my computer. My concern is the ergonomics of this set-up. Do any of you have any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, opinions, etc. about this?

I might have the height of the table lowered to make typing more comfortable. Thinking about not having a "fixed" table at the dinette so I could push it away if I need more space.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I'm wondering if you could benefit from a more adjustable worksurface.If you could move your work surface up or down, you may be able to minimize any potential Repetitive Strain Injury [RSI] and improve your ergonomic set up. You've already seen, no doubt, the adjustable pneumatic table lift many 17 and 19 owners have used to replace the standard 2-tube table.

Here's a picture of the one we had in our 17, fully adjustable and it even rotates.

Klaus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8198216414_5ecbd5d072_z.jpg (210.8 KB, 19 views)

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
I'm wondering if you could benefit from a more adjustable worksurface.If you could move your work surface up or down, you may be able to minimize any potential Repetitive Strain Injury [RSI] and improve your ergonomic set up. You've already seen, no doubt, the adjustable pneumatic table lift many 17 and 19 owners have used to replace the standard 2-tube table.

Here's a picture of the one we had in our 17, fully adjustable and it even rotates.

Klaus
Wow! That's nice! No, I hadn't seen the table lift... Thanks so much for the info! THAT'S what I'm looking for.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
How about adding a keyboard tray instead of dropping the table. If you go with a U dinette you can get the side to side slider. If you go standard dinette you can get aftermarket legs, just get ETI to supply the table top and you add the legs later (Google RV dinette folding legs). You'll probably have to make adjustments to the seat back but only you can figure that out once you try it. FYI, some of the folks get the dinette floor raised a couple inches on the 19 as it sits pretty low to the windows.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Klaus, is the table top removable? I like the idea but in our U dinette I need access to the rear seat on occasion.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The dinette table in my Escape 21 slides back and forth when not locked down. I bought a Fellows keyboard tray to mount under the table but I haven't tried to install it yet. I'm wondering if the tray's mount might interfere with the table's sliding mechanism.

You might also benefit from a boating chair "insert" that fits on top of the dinette seat. There is a thread about such a chair from West Marine on this forum.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
My concerns would focus on seating rather than the placement of a computer. Know that the dinette seats are flat bottoms and backs set at 45 degree angles. We never use our dinette for traditional seating because it's so uncomfortable. We do however, set it up as a platform bed and use a number of pillows for lounging. This is no fault of ETI, just the nature of the beast.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Another option could be to not have the table there at all and use a folding table or TV tray (with legs) style table. I have a wood folding TV tray that I used for my laptop when I was on my month long motor home rental. It was great for when I sat outside, admiring the view of Mt Shasta while doing email on my laptop (signal didn't reach to my campsite, but it worked great in front of their office).

If you have access to someone's 19', I'd suggest taking your computer/laptop with you to see how it would fit for you. That's what I did in someone's trailer that had a larger sink - I needed to know if I'd be able to clean my waffle iron in it, as I use it for cooking many of my meals. Yay, it worked!

And, as suggested, some sort of chair/cushions behind your back as you could be too far away from the keyboard otherwise.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
If you're going for the office motif, why not get one of these:
The Briefcase Barbecue - Hammacher Schlemmer

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote