Escape 19 Layout Question - Option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Extreme Toyhauler
Escape 19 Layout Question - Option

Hello,

Im considering purchasing a new Escape 19 and I have read that escape has lots of options. One of the things I have noticed about the escapes is they all seem to have a wet bath and a 4 person dinette.

My family is the type that we do all of our eating generally outside in a easy up covered shade or similar. We rarely if ever use a 4 person dinette. I have taken the layout and changed it a bit to remove the dinette and add a non wet bath setup along with more counter space.

Do you think this is something they would consider or is it to much work for them to consider it?

Please take a look and let me know what you think? Surely I cant have the only family that prefers to do all of its eating outside and the dinette ends up wasted space.
Attached Thumbnails
19EscapeFloorPlan-NoWetBath.jpg  
RobertH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape 19 Layout Question - Option

It's an interesting layout, but my guess is there's no way they'll relocate the bath, or have a separate bath and shower. They will however OMIT the bath, and build a 19A. The bath space is taken up by more counters and cabinets.

The other issue with removing the front dinette is that your 19 would only sleep two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I think the best thing you could do is to ask ETI directly. I'm sure that you will get a lot of opinions on your ideas (some positive but probably mostly negative as people tend to look at changes from their own perspective) but the only answer that counts is from ETI.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The shower stall and shower pan are molded fiberglass made to fit the wall and wheel well on the 19' (and 5.0TA). It's doubtful ETI would be willing to build a one-off mold for this layout... but, wouldn't hurt to ask!

I wonder how this layout would change the weight side-to-side, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
but the only answer that counts is from ETI.

True, you should ask. We asked alot. Sometimes it was yes, sometimes no.

But, right now there is no 19 built with bathroom fixtures in the front.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

I was concerned with the weights and such but the tanks could be held close to the same location if you flipped the toilet to the other wall and just had the shower drain down to the same tank right?

Its just my wife and I now all the kids are grown and out so having a 19 that sleeps just two is perfect in my opinion. Besides if someone was a dog owner they could even put the doggy bed down at the end between the two doors.

I honestly have not even had a chance to see a 19 other than on the website. Factory is only a 5 hour drive away so I might have to cruise up on a Thursday and take a look and ask some questions.

Thanks for all the opinions.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can say with near certainty that they would not build a bath like that, though as Robert said, they will eliminate it.

A couple drawbacks that I see with your plan as shown, something that would greatly minimize potential return in the case of resale;

- no dinette at all. We too very rarely used ours, though were certainly glad to have it though times when wanted. As much as for eating when needed, I think it got more use in the evening for 4 people to hang out when weather conditions are miserable.
- limited to room for two to sleep in
- would have to eliminate all the front windows, leaving the interior at the front very dark
- Loss of good storage space, under the dinette seats, and upper cabinets on the sides

You could maybe have them leave out everything in the front, leaving you a blank slate to do what you wanted yourself.

We are both HUGE fans of the wet bath for a few reasons. We rarely ever shower in the trailer, and we appreciate the smaller size leaving more space for other uses.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
Site Team

That sounds like a plan. Reace can give you a lot more detail than we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
I honestly have not even had a chance to see a 19 other than on the website. Factory is only a 5 hour drive away so I might have to cruise up on a Thursday and take a look and ask some questions.
This would be a wise decision to make, Robert. This will answer all your questions with certainty, and maybe you could get some of their input towards your thoughts and ideas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
Site Team

IF I was interested in a big change like your layout, I'd also want the refrigerator and closet on the door side and one big counter where those items currently are found. The closet could be just a tad bigger if moved too. I'm such a dreamer...
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

Donna,

I see you listed as Portland Oregon. Do you have any bug problems in your Escape 21 or is it fairly tight.

We currently have a toy hauler and you can never get a quality seal on the ramp which is another reason we are wanting to make the switch. Tired of the constant cleaning bugs out that get in. Over in the Oregon City area they have a bit of stink bug problem as well and those little buggers crawl up in any spot they can find.

Im hoping the Escapes are nice and tight with no spots the critters can get in through.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Should be an old thread in the archives where people chewed this over prior to the first 19' build. Lots of great layouts bit the dust when practical considerations were taken into account ( things like wheel wells etc.).
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Donna,

I see you listed as Portland Oregon. Do you have any bug problems in your Escape 21 or is it fairly tight.
Robert, I have a 5.0TA and no bug problems... dusty bunnies yes! I know of a fresh built 19' here in the Portland area and three 21's... if you want to check them out, contact Escape and they'll send you contact info. If you want to see my 5.0TA let me know.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Yes, in any Escape if there is a bathroom with shower it is a wet bath - not one with a separate shower. I, too, believe that this is a good idea for space efficiency.

The improbability of Escape building with a bathroom in a different location has been well explained. My concern with buying with no bath and adding it is the challenge of custom-building a shower to fit the space: even with the vertical sidewalls of the 2017 design, to top and bottom corners are not square, the ceiling isn't flat and the vertical corners are still rounded. If you're up to the challenge and still think it's worthwhile when you finalize your choice - go for it.

Quote:
Besides if someone was a dog owner they could even put the doggy bed down at the end between the two doors.
I would want to do something with that space. In the scale of trailer space, it's an enormous waste in your current proposal. The stock size of black waste tank would extend from under the toilet out into that space so you would need a cabinet anyway; in the stock 19' layout, the black tank extends under the dinette seat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Artic Fox 29-5T Fifthwheel
Quote:
Hello,

Im considering purchasing a new Escape 19 and I have read that escape has lots of options. One of the things I have noticed about the escapes is they all seem to have a wet bath and a 4 person dinette.

My family is the type that we do all of our eating generally outside in a easy up covered shade or similar. We rarely if ever use a 4 person dinette. I have taken the layout and changed it a bit to remove the dinette and add a non wet bath setup along with more counter space.

Do you think this is something they would consider or is it to much work for them to consider it?

Please take a look and let me know what you think? Surely I cant have the only family that prefers to do all of its eating outside and the dinette ends up wasted space.
One thing that needs to be considered is your plan has 3 drains to a grey tank, shower, kitchen sink and bathroom sink. Keep in mind this requires water lines to 3 locations, but more importantly, additional drains to one grey tank.
Just a thought,
Ros
Rosalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalyn View Post
One thing that needs to be considered is your plan has 3 drains to a grey tank, shower, kitchen sink and bathroom sink. Keep in mind this requires water lines to 3 locations, but more importantly, additional drains to one grey tank.
Good point. Fortunately, the grey waste tank is the furthest forward under-floor tank, so drains from the shower and bathroom sink can go through the floor, rearward just under the floor and between the frame rails, and into the front wall of the grey waste tank. Through the cabinets would be a better route for the sink drain, if you don't mind the pipe in there. A pump can be used for the shower if it doesn't drain well enough over that distance - this is common strategy in trailers without enough height difference to get sufficient slope.

Water lines under the floor are undesirable, but they can be run in cabinets, right around the front to the shower if necessary.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I would think that would be an owner mod if it was able to be done at all. I wouldn't want to do that type of tear out on a new $30k trailer, but would find a lower priced used 19 and then tear out the front end and redo it.
ETI will be the only one that can tell you if they would do something like this, but I wouldn't want to see the price if they did.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #18

Trailer: pondering.....
after reading about the OPs post about major changes to a 19 it made one think about the 21...
not wanting to go off thread but since the subject is layouts....anybody have the link to the actual design debate on the original Escape 21 design layout...not sure of the proper search term and did a search and ended up with pages and pages...probably someone knows the actual link if there is one.
Particularly interested in how a stretched 19 with the bathroom location on the side like a current 19 and a bed in the front with the increased length or in the back ....ended up with the current 21 design layout with the bathroom moving....that seemed like a change that required the most mechanical change inside and out......Thanks
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
after reading about the OPs post about major changes to a 19 it made one think about the 21...
not wanting to go off thread but since the subject is layouts....anybody have the link to the actual design debate on the original Escape 21 design layout...
Started here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...soon-1642.html

Continued here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...plan-1659.html

And continued here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...date-1883.html
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
thanks Donna for the links...when Escape recently revealed that the 2017 di have a big change in that it had a raised floor in the rear like maybe the Escape 19 it started the gears grinding about a stretched 19 into a 21 might be something that Escape might consider in the near future as an alternative to those that buy the 19 because they don't like the 21 layout.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote