Escape 19' progress II - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: Escape 19' progress II

Yes, Please do. Also, could you give a snow report?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I will be taking a couple cameras.

Sandra, when do you do your pick up?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #23

Je ne sais pas. (Just about all I remember from high school French). Since I am not a snow person, coupled with the 19' excitement and interest, I have told Tammy and Reace to take their time. So it has gone from near the end of March to around the middle of April (or thereabouts). Meantime, I keep thinking of new things which I'm sure is giving them gray hairs. Plus, it gives me time to pick up a few more things for the trip back, look for a mirror for the bathroom door and to whittle down the packing to "necessities". Additionally I enjoy learning what others have done, or are doing or plan to do to their Escapes.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Custom that Escape

I know it's fun to shop, but I'd hold off on that bathroom mirror and such until I had the trailer and gone for a camp or two. Save yourself some money and you won't have to have a garage sale with the stuff you got that didn't work out.

I bought plastic "drawers" for our clothes. Searched for them high and wide so they would fit in the wardrobe. After the first camp, I learned that I had plenty of space for clothes in the cupboards above the bed, and that I preferred to be able to hang clothes in the wardrobe ( which couldn't be done with the "drawers" in there ). It's also the wine room.

I'm still working things out and I got Toad 8 months ago.

Among the issues still on the table ( or in the cupboard ): where to store pots and pans and how to do it most efficiently, where and how to store garbage, where and how to store spices, etc. Right now I have most pots and pans in the cupboard under the cook top. However, it means pulling a bunch out to reach what I need. Whatever you want to use will probably be under a couple other things. We leave the rear bed/dinette down so I am using a large stainless bin ( commonly used in commercial kitchens ) to store a couple large fry pans, etc.. I can also use the bin for washing dishes outside, or I can use it boil a large quantity of water for a corn feast.

I'm not totally happy with the arrangement, but I have a small galvanized bucket under the bed for garbage ( I'm not talking long-term storage - just a handy receptacle ).

I got some nice looking mesh steel containers for utensils that works pretty well, but I intended to use another for spice jars and while the jars fit just fine I can't mount it, especially after having the stove cover installed. I can take comfort in that spices should be stored in a cool, dark place so I keep them in the container in a cupboard, and I can bring them all outside in one convenient package, which is where I do most of my prep and cooking.

Anyway, after you do a few camps, you'll find that you'll settle on places to store stuff that just seem natural.

On the other hand, I'd get any factory accessories you think you might possibly want installed done now. I want an exterior AC outlet, interior DC outlets, LED bulbs, propane hose for my BBQ, exterior spreader lights ( same as the "porch" light ) for the back and driver side, and I'd probably make sure I had the wiring for satellite TV, speakers and air, even if I wasn't installing these items now.

baglo

Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #25

Thanks for the input and the advice. Why would a 12 volt outlet be needed inside? I've been thinking about the things that you have mentioned and have ordered many of them. I'm asking for a door to be out on the passenger "bed"
side under the bench for extra interior access, since once the bed is made up, I have no intention of altering that configuration. I still am puzzling over the trash/garbage situation. However at WallyWorld I saw a very small step-open metal can. I have thought of an inside the cupboard mounted one for under the stove, but I don't want to sacrifice the storage space. However, a galvanized bucket would have more than one use. I am also thinking of possibly framing a small piece of lattice to create a more finished look for the underbed area (one that won't interfere with the propane detector) yet hide plastic storage containers. For a spice rack, I was thinking of putting a wooden one on the stove side of the shower wall . (Outside of course). I understand that there are supports at the wall and aisle sides that will safely accept screws. I'm not sure if it can be mounted such that it will not get heated when using the stovetop.
Can the bulbs in the lights be replaced with LEDs? I'd nix the mirror but I need to be sure I don't frighten kids or animals.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... I have been trying to figure out how to mount a smallish rectangular plastic pail to the inside of the bottom of the trailer door to put the trash in It seems that space could be used to hold something!!! For the Emelda Marcos types... maybe a shoe rack
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #27

I am thinking along the lines of Glen too. Get any factory mods that you will want done, things that would be much more of a pain later, but save the 'accessory' type mods until after we use the trailer and see just what our needs are. You may find they are simpler then what you first imagine after putting the trailer through its paces for a couple weeks. Sometimes giving it more time, other better solutions will surface.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

It took me a while to get my head around it, but the DC outlet inside is to power the radio or TV when not hooked up to AC shore power.

I too was considering mounting the spice rack to the outside of the shower, above the range top, but then I got the stove cover, which reduces the clearance between the cover and rack. You might find a rack that will work.

baglo
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #29

I know that the lights work when on DC; but does that power also go to the outlets? If so, then can one get a converter that plugs in and makes it AC to make regular stuff work? Or is there even any such thing? Electricity is not my forte.
Obviously. .
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All... I have been trying to figure out how to mount a smallish rectangular plastic pail to the inside of the bottom of the trailer door to put the trash in It seems that space could be used to hold something!!! For the Emelda Marcos types... maybe a shoe rack
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I have seen narrow and smallish straight sided "door waste baskets" that hang on screws. Since I doubt anyone would want to put holes in the door, I would think one could be affixed to the fiberglass with adhesive velcro strips. Further, I think they could be removed without damaging the surface, if needed. (That would probably require patience plus a solvent.) I am ordering a clear glass window and have asked Reace to put a support above the glass for mounting purposes. Even so, absent that, I was contemplating using "sticky" velcro for mounting purposes. Magnets were also contemplated before I found out that the windows are aluminum framed. The idea sounds good.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #31

Sandra, when not hooked up to AC, only the 12V DC outlet(s) would work. You can use an inverter to convert the 12V DC to 120V AC. This can be one that is installed as part of the trailer and its charging system though not too common (in my limited experience), or one that can be a portable one that either plugs into a DV outlet, or better yet one connects right to the battery. The ones that us a DC plug (cigarette lighter style) are usually limited to 300W. This is only enough to run smaller electronic things. If you wire a larger one into the battery, you will be able to use somewhat larger electric items, though nothing too big like a microwave or hair dryers. Most AC devices used through an inverter draw lots from the trailer batteries, and can draw them down quite quickly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further clarification.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

That's very clear, Jim.

Sandra, we have a 12 volt outlet in our Casita and use it quite a bit when camping in California's state parks (I've never been to one with hook-ups). We have a small AC/DC television with DVD and a great 12 volt portable fan that I plug into it. I also have a small inverter that plugs into the 12 volt outlet and provides an AC outlet to charge my cell phone, ipod or laptop.

Tammy, are you saying the crew was napping under the Escape??
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryls
Tammy, are you saying the crew was napping under the Escape??
Did you see the funny comment on the photo over at FGRV? The guy figured it was actually an 18 foot trailer.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Well its getting exciting, meeting with Reace and Tammy this Saturday to
pick colors, graphics and options for the new Escape 19.
Can't wait to see the progress they have made.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #35

Doug, I'll be there this weekend, so if you want to save the trip, I'll make the selections for you.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Doug, I'll be there this weekend, so if you want to save the trip, I'll make the selections for you.
Thats OK, I have other business in Vancouver.

Might see you there...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #37

Our plan as it stands is to go in first thing Saturday, but I may change that to Friday. We are heading in to Vancouver for Saturday night, and are now thinking we might head in Friday night instead. What time were you showing up on Saturday Doug?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Our plan as it stands is to go in first thing Saturday, but I may change that to Friday. We are heading in to Vancouver for Saturday night, and are now thinking we might head in Friday night instead. What time were you showing up on Saturday Doug?
Hi Jim I sent you a PM
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #39

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Oh gee, we are going to be there on Saturday too, picking up our trailer..
I think we'll be there around 11...

They are going to have a full house!!! (and Reace will get lots of coffee!!!!)
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #40

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Boy oh boy! Doug, Jim and particularily Amirie have a great weekend ahead for them! Can't wait to hear all the stories, pictures and chatter on the forum next week! Say hello to our little HokieEscape, and tell her Mom and Dad are coming soon : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote