Escape 19 vs Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape 19 vs Escape 21

I'd like to see the weight numbers before making up my mind. I have learned a lot from my 19' and there are some options I'd not repeat. But that aisle space and counter space, I'm drooling over.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #2

I have learned a lot from my 19' and there are some options I'd not repeat, care to share with us what these are Jim you peaked our curiosity , cheers mike
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Donna , what I was thinking was I wonder if it would be possible to have a queen bed sideways in the front as it is in the rear of the 19 and then have the bathroom down the side like the 19. I wonder if there is enough room between the front of the trailer and the door for this.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Ditto to Dave, we really like the idea of rear bed like in the 19, now if only there could be a rear queen in the 21, we'd probably wait another year to save up for the more pricy trailer and likely slightly more powerful tug. Or I like Jim B.'s idea of the 5.1

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd like to see the weight numbers before making up my mind. I have learned a lot from my 19' and there are some options I'd not repeat. But that aisle space and counter space, I'm cooling over.
Jim,

With a 19 getting ready to be built I'd sure like to hear what you have learned about the options and what you would not repeat.

Thanks

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

I can't speak for Jim but here is what I would change, I would get the table that hooks to the wall not the pedestal version as it would alow better use of space un the table when folded down. I would not get the range hood as the max fan is close by and does a better job of venting and is quieter. I would get the batteries mounted inside the trailer and not in the storage box. The space inside the trailer under awning side bench is awkward to access and more space in the storage box would be nice. I wouldn't bother with heat pads on the tanks and I wouldn't get the heat strip in the ac unit again.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Everyone will have different needs, dependant upon there camping styles. For instance, I agree with all Dave's decisions, with the exception of the table support. We really like the pedistals, and the ease of use. The sliding table is a bonus too. But the batteries inside, no range hood, not heat strip in the A/C (easy to carry a small electric heater).

About the only other thing I did that I would not now, is to have a stereo installed. While it works great, I much prefer the flexibility of the many portable solutions, that can be used elsewhere too. I have 7,000 songs on my phone, and find I mostly use it, either via bluetooth, or directly through a cable.

Many don't use the low pressure quick connect, but I love ours and am planning to do a second one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Just curious ... why would you prefer the batteries inside?
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
This is indeed an amazing feat. We love our 19 so much that I can't imagine wanting anything else, but for those of you who love the idea of more space, this will surely fit the bill nicely! Tammy and Reace, you are phenomenal. As so many have said, and I know we all agree, the way you listen to people and make things work with these high quality campers is just so special. I hope you feel all this admiration and love... We are looking forward to one of these big guys coming to the eastern US so we can catch a glimpse!
Have a wonderful break at the rally. We'll be thinking of you all and wishing we were there.
- Jenny
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #10

The reason I would put the batteries inside is that the dinette seat storage are on the awing side is kind of wasted space as its hard to reach the back through the little door and the batteries take up a fair bit of room in the storage box that is easy to access.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Jim,

With a 19 getting ready to be built I'd sure like to hear what you have learned about the options and what you would not repeat.

Thanks

Dave
I'd probably not get the screen room and the cot option. I have the 3 burner s/s stove, probably would get the 2 burner, only used all 3 once. I have the microwave now, probably would delete. I would want the sliding table now in the 19, it is quite ingenious. All my other options I'd still order.
The additional weight of the 21' is what would hold me back since I have 2 adequate tow vehicles now with my 19' being around 3500# "wet".
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

Escape 19 vs Escape 21

Several posts were made and moved here in comparing what owners with a 19' would change in ordering a new 21'.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

Trailer: ?
When we started looking for our trailer, we saw several with similar bed layouts to the 21’ Escape. The full sized queen bed was probably the #1 selling feature of the 19’ Escape. No queen bed is a show stopper for us. A feature I would look for in a “next trailer” would be a walk around queen.

Our dinette table seems to be a catch-all from the doorway and I would worry about a front bed turning into the same. Regarding better scenery out the back window – we have been in sites where the best scenery is out the front window. Realistically, we spend the bulk of our time outdoors, so the view from inside the trailer is irrelevant. If we are inside we are either sleeping or the weather outside is too crappy to see much anyway.

Options we would change on our 19? I still wrestle with our need for AC. We have it and have needed it once. It’s a fairly significant $ and adds a fair amount of weight. We definitely would not get the tv hookup, and would not get the outside shower. The table / pedestal arrangement works fine and we would keep the range hood with fan (we use it all the time). I added a strip of LED lights under the hood instead and that makes a tremendous difference.

We had the front box added, more for trailer protection than storage. I still think the box is an opportunity to overload the tongue weight. It is nice for a catch-all while we are set up in a campsite. Our batteries are in the box and it is not an issue for us. But as previously stated, everyone's needs are different.
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I am now at Quartzite (with my daughter "Little Camper" and while we had our heart set on an Escape 21 ... As my wife usually comes camping with us ....

Compared to our 17' Casita we like the thought of the permanent bed on the Escspe 21 (disturbing sleeping spouse less) and the aisle and counter space of the Escape 21

However our tug (AWD Acura MDX 500 lb hitch / 5000 lb weight) would be approaching it's safe limits with a 21'

Although I will get WDH and sway. And we travel light. And light usage. (20 years left in workforce)
And I pack carefully.

So the 21' has more aisle space and more counter space than the 19'

Any other thoughts about differences ?

:-)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our 21 weighs in at 4200 on the road with maybe half a tank of water.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Our 21 weighs in at 4200 on the road with maybe half a tank of water.
Good info. :-)

My concern is that I want under body foam (40 lbs) plus thermal Windows, and solar. And dual 6v

It all adds up.

Do you have any of these options ?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Good info. :-)

My concern is that I want under body foam (40 lbs) plus thermal Windows, and solar. And dual 6v

It all adds up.

Do you have any of these options ?

Thermal windows, solar, and the big 12V option.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Hi Losangeles. We compared the 19 with the 21 and it was the aisle space and counter space that was impressive. The 21 also has a larger bathroom and you just appreciate a little extra room. The holding tanks are bigger too.

As for your tug, you might want a little more to pull a 21. I ordered our present tug to pull a Casita, but then we discovered Escape and bought the 21. The GMC has a 10,800 pound towing capacity and handles the 21 fine, but you do know something is behind you. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Batteries in a 21' are in the back bench. Common loaded weight for a 21' is 4200 lbs. Lots of owners pulling them with 5000 lb. towing capacity TVs. There are long threads on the differences between 19' and 21'. For boondocking, 30 gallons of water on a 21' vs. 20 gallons for a 19'. More storage.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:13 AM   #20

With an Escape and fiberglass in general, the trailer will outlast your tow vehicle. I have almost all the options, I'm sitting at 4300# over the axles and 500# on the tongue, packed for 2 weeks camping.. Get the trailer and then later get a larger tow if needed.