Escape 21 first impressions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Escape 21 first impressions

We both picked up our new 21 and started camping on October 18th. First of all, we want to thank everyone at Escape for a totally enjoyable purchase/build process. Our experience with Escape Trailers, from dreaming to fruition, has been a very enjoyable one. In a world focused on the bottom line, moving items as fast as possible, and keeping human contact to a minimum, (or charging for it) Escape Trailers is a breath of fresh air. And with the weekly pictures we felt like we were part of the build team, which of course helped to build our excitement. The orientation with Reace was very informative and showed his personal caring for his product and his customer.

From Escape, we went directly to Deception Pass campground in Washington. There we had two nights of orientation, organization, and shake down. After one night in the trailer, our impression was WOW!!! This new trailer is going to add so much to the enjoyment of our travels. We are so glad we went with the 21 over a smaller fiberglass or box trailer (with slide out). We have plenty of room and comfort, along with the knowledge that we have a top of the line, quality built trailer, backed by the best in the business. As a bonus, we can tow it with our (5000 lb tow limit) Honda Ridgeline. We haven't crossed any passes yet, so that's still to be evaluated, but we did go out of our way to test it on some very steep hills with great success. We were towing without the Anderson hitch installed and the trailer really behaved. I think Escape has another winner with the 21.

My wife says she really, really, really loves the cubbies. If you order a 21, don't pass on the cubbies. We ordered an extra opening below the bed that will come in handy for a shoe rack I’ll be building. We love the LED lighting both inside and outside of the trailer. We weren't sure we’d like the reading lights over the bed, (a little harsher LED light) but we like them as well. The stove top has the best flame control that we've ever had, and we’re looking forward to using the oven. We love the size of the fridge, but due to that size, we'll probably add some rods to keep things in place. We really like the large dinette table and it's slide mechanism. The dinette window height isn't an issue. We're short people (5'8" and 5'0") and we can see out just fine. The bed, even though not a queen, is very comfortable and we like not having to climb over each other to get out. It's also much easier to make then we had in our 17' Casita. With small trailers, extra width and length makes a huge difference, and this trailer is amazing. We no longer have to use signals and take turns to move about in the trailer. We can both work in the kitchen at the same time, and there's plenty of counter space left over after washing dishes. I think it's difficult to produced a living space that's roomy while maintaining that warm cozy feeling, but Escape has done it with the 21. It's not the small cute fiberglass trailer any more, but it's so much more.

We have it home now and starting to set it up for our type of use, so that’s all we have so far – OH, did I mention how much my wife likes the cubbies?

Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the first impressions...
Do you happen to have a picture of the cubbies in service?
I showed the picture to Norma and she wasn't sure what she'd do with them, so we left that option off our build sheet (so far.... ).
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

I have a picture, not the best, but I can go out and take a better one if you want it. The cubbies are right at the entrance to the bathroom and at the exit to the trailer, making them convenient for both areas. We're still working out their uses, but so far they're coming in handy for the following: 4 roles of TP fit in one cubbie, my prescription drugs and hair brush etc, my wife's bag of cosmetics along with her hair dryer and brush, and at the very top we're keeping plastic trash bags (for now). I'm sure we'll come up with many more uses but we've only had two days with it so far. The tissue is there temperarily and most of the other bins have things in them, you just can't see them. If you don't get the cubbies, it's a blank space that can be used for a trash can and I think hooks to hang coats, hats, etc. We just think the cubbies offer so much more.

Sorry for the awkward pictures, I tried to give different views.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00008.JPG   SAM_4308.jpg   SAM_4309.jpg   SAM_4310.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
How exciting! We have made reservations at Deception Pass for our first night out when we pick up our 21 in April so glad to hear that is doable.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Try taking the pictures again only lay on your left side.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #6

Going to Deception Pass after picking up your new trailer is not only doable, it's totally enjoyable. Have fun
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

Who's going to help me up after getting down to my left side -- that's what I want to know!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Glad you guys are so pleased with your new trailer, Tom.

Lots and lots of fun times ahead for you guys.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Thanks Tom.
This helps alot - we saw the cubbies on our Escape visit before they were installed, but didn't get a good sense of what they'd look like installed. It does finish off that area nicely.
I'll have Norma take another look
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the cubbies are standard in the 21'. May need to double check that.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

Cubbies

The cubbies are standard in the first 5 units but optional after that.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #12

Why is that limit and why not on the option list, I'll have to check with Escape.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Yes Jim I too thought they were standard!
@ TAF - we will be newbies at pulling a trailer so reserved a pull thru site to make sure it is doable lol!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #14

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
heading home with our new 21

Nancy, Chico and I picked up our new 21 yesterday, 10/22. After nearly 3 years with a 19 following numerous other smaller RVs, we can't say enough about the whole Escape group and products. The trailer was finished on time and we have used everything that is installed in one night and nearly two days, everything works perfectly and the fit and finish is outstanding. It is such a pleasure to not be making repairs every day we use a RV. We spent our time today driving south of Tacoma and shopping in camping world and Costco for all of the items we need now for our trip down the coast to San Diego and then home to put rest of our STUFF that we were not able to carry in our jeep to B.C.
Our jeep is a 2011 Grand Cherokee with the Dodge Hemi that does accelerate up the on ramps and over the passes very well. It also shuts down 4 cylinders when not necessary, the variable cam timing, 16 spark plugs plus what ever else they did to it makes a great TV that does great with gas mileage 13 to 15 towing at speed limit plus and 21 or 22 not owing. Towing the 19 used slightly less fuel, 15 to 16 mpg .
We still have more to load at home but I think we will still have empty spaces.
As you can see we are very happy with our choice to change to the 21.
Thanks to Tammy and Reace and their whole crew.

Jack and Nancy of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
On the build sheet Kim just sent me for our Upcoming completion date in July the cubbies are a 100$ option. Sounds like it is well worth it.
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #16

Seems like Escape is pumping out the units full steam right now, going full blast, good for them. I called Tammy yesterday and she graciously did not charge me for the cubbies as I initially requested storage shelves in that area back in June and Rease came up with the cubby holes. I'm all paid up and anxiously waiting.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We need a "like" button for some of these posts!!
I did see the cubbies when we dropped our trailer off last month--think they are a really great idea and a good use of space--seeing the posted as a "real" picture in someones trailer makes it more so.

God for you Jim for thinking of them originally..
Old 10-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good for you, Tom! And Jack and Nancy! I wish you all would post some more photos of your 21. I also hope someone comes up with the fully loaded weight. Sounds as if you are very happy with your choice.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems like Escape is pumping out the units full steam right now, going full blast, good for them. I called Tammy yesterday and she graciously did not charge me for the cubbies as I initially requested storage shelves in that area back in June and Rease came up with the cubby holes. I'm all paid up and anxiously waiting.
How many days and hours are we talking? I can hardly wait!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #20

How many days and hours are we talking? I can hardly wait!!

I will not know exactly until I get my first set of pictures. Originally it was 12/2 but Tammy said she wanted it ready by 11/29 when another 21' is being finished vs holding the 11/29 until mine was ready on 12/2 and shipping both together. She said my first set will be sent tomorrow!!