Escape 21 - Full height Cabinet or not?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
Escape 21 - Full height Cabinet or not??

Hi All,
We at crunch point and have to sign off by close of play on the 7th and having added the above mod to our build we are having last minute second thoughts. As previously mentioned we are novices hence the majority of our build has been influenced buy you folks already. So we would appreciate feedback from our learned friends on the pros and cons before we press the button.
Thanks
John
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #2

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglingMad View Post
Hi All,
We at crunch point and have to sign off by close of play on the 7th and having added the above mod to our build we are having last minute second thoughts. As previously mentioned we are novices hence the majority of our build has been influenced buy you folks already. So we would appreciate feedback from our learned friends on the pros and cons before we press the button.
Thanks
John
John,
I completed my build a few months ago. At the end I decided that if an option was in question, I could afford it, and it would be difficult to add later, I just added it. The ones that I questioned and could be easily added later, I passed on. My option total was around $10,000.00 and I'm pretty frugal in nature. Our last camper a Casita, was a 2001 model and still looked and worked like new. What's a few thousand dollars if it brings you many happy years!
Enjoy the ride!
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21'
We got the full height cabinet. Some people prefer the more open space and the window or wish to put a TV there (we don't watch TV in bed). Also, the 21' has a lot of storage already. But we go for longer periods of time and have found the full height cabinet to be convenient and easy to access storage. We would get the full height cabinet again.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This will be our second E21, our first was a 2014 classic and now 2019 2ndG model. There is so much more room inside, you do not need any more storage. The weight is already approaching 4500# as it is. The optional window and "nightstand" without the closet IMHO a lot better option for light and air inside. That corner was dark in our first E21 and we are looking forward to the additional benefits.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
We have the full length cabinet in our 21 and would definitely get it again. Once we retire, we hope to spend a few months in California a year to be closer to our daughter’s family. We don’t think it closes things up too much and have outfitted it as a wardrobe.
Attached Thumbnails
068EEF20-D61C-405B-8354-5228AC5CC0BC.jpg   983DCF7B-9616-4EC2-A814-D221E76A6CD3.jpg   C1AEF67F-F22C-47E0-85C7-B24750E830B1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17

We took advantage of the full height cabinet and love it. Initially, we ordered the cabinet without a shelf, but then realized we could maximize the storage area by adding one.

I would order this option again. Good luck with your decision!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8313.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	36896

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I LOVE the full height cabinet! I had them put one shelf in the middle (additional cost, but Dirk said he didn't want to put in shelves; I'd probably still be waiting - ). The upper shelf has my laundry basket (I got the 17" wide), which fits perfectly:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lower shelf has items such as the toaster, rice cooker, waterpik, etc. They're all at an easily reached height.

We felt this option was well worth the cost.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21

We value the small counter space on the standard cabinet. We charge our devices there and our stereo is mounted there as well. As much as another cabinet would be helpful, I don’t think I would want to give up the counter space so handy to our bed. I guess you could put your devices in the full cabinet as well, but I do like open counter.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We chose not to get the extra cabinet because we wanted the more open feel you get without it. We are very happy with our decision as we have more storage space than we need. If you choose not to get it I would highly recommend getting the optional window over the drawer stack. The window also contributes to the bright open feel that we like.
Attached Thumbnails
cabwindow.jpg   window2a.jpg  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We have that option and love it. Tv is closer for these old eyes. Plus we can store items there that otherwise would be underneath or in the truck.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Wow I learn something new everyday, we bought our 2014 used and did not know taller cabinet was an option since we have the shelve but no window, now I wish i had the window. I agree with CP a 21' has lots of storage already its counter space you lack and this gives you more of that. I know you can add the fold up ones but sorry I think except for very temporary use they don't look that great. Plus would have to think trailer is more open looking with window and shelve.
Think it comes down to camping style. I ask the question once on this forum ' when you more full time what do you take that you would not take for just a one week trip?' No one said more stuff really that you would need extra storage for, again though your preference and that's whats nice about an Escape, options .

Are you getting the U dinette? If so you might want one of the Dicor slides I'm ordering for others who wanted them.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
If you need the extra storage then get the extra cabinet.
Moving from a 19' to a 21', we find we have plenty of storage already and instead included the opening window. The counter top offers a variety of uses including an extra counter for food prep on occasion. In addition, this counter top is a nice space for electronics. We also have the tv mount in the open space above for the rare times we use the tv (the tv is stored under the bed when not being used).
The best part of the open counter in my opinion is the ability to have a screened window both for light and fresh air. Finally, if you are into this sort of thing, the window adds relief to the driver's side trailer wall.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Wow I learn something new everyday, we bought our 2014 used and did not know taller cabinet was an option since we have the shelve but no window, now I wish i had the window.
Steve: Put a window in. I lead the way with a bathroom window, but yours would be even easier because you don't have the sandwich of the outer shell and bath shell to deal with in that location. A Dremel with a cutting wheel makes quick work of the fiberglass.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post184287
Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Steve, available options have changed a lot since 2014. There is a good chance no one had thought of or asked about a full cabinet there when your trailer was made.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Before we put our deposit down last year we saw an E21 from the ETI referral program in our area. That owner had the shelf/window option - we liked it so much we ordered the same. With our double sink taking up more counter space on the passenger side, made sense for us to compensate and keep the counter space on the drivers side.

However, we were thinking it might be nice if those 2 drawers below the shelf could be one cabinet instead, so we asked if that could be done. They said, yes, it could be....BUT they warned that the furnace below the drawers needs a certain amount of ventilation around it. A cabinet there would decrease that and could end up voiding the warranty on our furnace. Yikes, we use our furnace a lot. So the 2 drawers will remain!

Have not seen the full cabinet option but everyone’s pics with storage options look great, too. Not sure if you’re weight conscious but you might want to see how much more weight a full cabinet would be. We had our bathroom wall enforced and was told it would add 50 lbs to the dry weight.

Good luck with this decision and all those decisions on that build sheet journey!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
one thing I wish ours did NOT have is the window in the 'front' of the trailer above the head of the bed.... I'd much rather have had the shelf/tray there for eyeglasses, reading book, etc.

one thing ours does not have that I wish it did is the outside shower. our tent trailer had that, and it got used a lot. I'm thinking of installing one myself, street-side, near the water heater.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21. '16 Tundra 4.6L
It’s a trade-off between the convenience and uses of the counter top, versus the extra cabinet or drawer space. The countertop is our catch-all, and we would definitely miss it. I see the value of extra drawers, but not at the expense of the countertop. Debbie hangs all her clothes and fits all her small foldables in her one drawer. We would not trade.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We have the extra cabinet and I had intended to use it for additional hanging clothes, but it is not tall enough for that. Now we intend to put a shelf in there. We usually spend 3 months at a time away from home and think the extra storage will come in handy.
Mtn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I travel for 6 - 8 months before seeing home, and go through at least 3 seasons worth of clothes, I find the extra cabinet space useful. I had Escape divide each closet with 2 equally spaced shelves.

I fold all my clothes with the exception of flannel shirts & keep them on the shelves in the closets. 2 of the shelves have plastic trays that contain non clothing. The flannel shirts go on 5 Umbra hooks mounted on the refrigerator wall.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #20
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We have the extra counter space. The drawers are quite shallow and I'm a fan of no clutter, so we put some baskets to divide things and put our sunglasses, change, receipts, etc. in that top drawer, rather than throwing it on the counter. We do however, find that counter is handy for a variety of things, iPad, charging devices, stacking any throw pillows while we sleep, etc. BUT just saying, that drawer can be a handy alternative if you choose to go with the floor to ceiling cabinet as a catch all for all that stuff one tends to drop when they first come in the door.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote