Escape 21 options? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
A/C takes up about 2" of headroom, if you are tall that may be an issue.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Toilet shut off valve - not on the options list but it is a cheap option many people get. I ordered it but I'm not too sure why. Maybe others can explain.
Also think about what you may not want. I eliminated the range hood, but I also swapped the location of the kitchen sink and stove top which moves the kitchen window aft. It also moves the exterior shower aft if you get that option on the passenger side of the trailer. Post # 692 on the "It's Friday! 2017 and beyond! thread shows a 21 with this option. Thanks H46Driver, I liked the looks of this option so much I added it to my build list for a 5.0TA.
If you want custom fabric you can also ask for a FULL WRAP on the cushions. (You will need to provide even more fabric.) Normally the cushions come with vinyl on the bottom side which is useful if condensation is an issue as it is less likely to soak into the cushions.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Smartplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cathy got a head's up on Airstream ,about a better detachable cord system called " Smartplug" I might save funds and install, on our trailer . Pat
Just got off phone with "Smartplug " . They no longer install the 200 cut off in their cords . The problem was with boat owners who maybe their power was shut down , they go to their boat and they are working on their boat and the power automatically comes back on as it is supposed to work . Not good scenario. Boat owners wanted it removed and they did . Camping World is best price for" Smartplug "right now , however there are many sources . There is a great article to read written by a electrical engineer who tested their product . Article called Smartplug vs. 1938 . I found article asking for a review of their product . Their product was originally made for extreme movement , salt water , etc. . The 1938 is how old the RV plugs system are going back too that are currently installed on RV's with their issues . It has been decided , we will be getting the "Smartplug "added to our trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Toilet shut off valve - not on the options list but it is a cheap option many people get. I ordered it but I'm not too sure why. Maybe others can explain.
I added my own toilet cutoff valve (Sharkbite brand) in the line that goes to the toilet (under the bed).

Reasoning: Rumor has that the toilet flush valve is not the most reliable piece of hardware and if it fails it will likely fail in the "on" position. This will require that the pump be turned off, shutting down water to all other outlets. With a cutoff valve I can isolate a leaking toilet flush valve and keep water going to sinks, shower, etc. And if necessary bring a pot full of water to the toilet to do a manual flush.

And The Universe Being What It Is, if I have a cutoff valve ready to go, the toilet flush valve will never break.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
We didn't get stero system or T.V. We have a Bluetooth speaker and can down load movies off Netflix to watch on our computer. We surprised or selves and got the U shape dinette much more comfortable.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I added my own toilet cutoff valve (Sharkbite brand) in the line that goes to the toilet (under the bed).

Reasoning: Rumor has that the toilet flush valve is not the most reliable piece of hardware and if it fails it will likely fail in the "on" position.

We full timed in our Casita for two years and never had a problem with the toilet flush valve. But, one can never be too careful.

We also ordered the cutoff valve on the 21' Escape.

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #47

Trailer: Rented Travel Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat, I looked this up just out of curiosity. Looks nice but bear in mind it will likely be very difficult to find parts if you happen to have a problem on the road. I suppose even the standard twist lock detachable hardware could be a challenge to find as well. I've heard of some campers carrying a spare cord.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/smartp...FQpMDQodMvUNJg
I have the "Smartplug" on my boat. It is a high quality connector designed to eliminate the poor connection to shore power and the arcing / overheating safety hazard which, according to the company, is common enough in the conventional connector. I put it in because I like to gold plate my boat - it gets all the love. I really don't think that you'll need to worry about replacement parts down the road; it's really solid and well protected from rain.
Craig Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Detachable power cord has caused problems for several people.

What kind of problems?

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Post 22

I know it's impossible to keep up with all of these posts.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
What kind of problems?

Fred M.
Some of the more absent minded will unplug the detachable cable and forget to take it with them when they vacate the site. They like to have the cable fixed in place (attached) so that if they forget to put it away, it will at least travel with them as they leave and drag it down the highway. Other than that, I can see no problems with the detachable cable.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
What kind of problems?
Because the base L5-30 locking connector (and the L6-50 for 50-amp RVs) is not weather-resistant, most RV products based on it have some sort of weather hood. It can screw on, bayonet-mount, or clamp on (the Marinco EEL).

If the hood isn't attached properly, there can be weather damage. Sometimes the electrical (slight twist to lock) connection is knocked loose during the attempt to fasten the hood. Some people seem to not understand that the electrical connection and the hood are separate functions, so they insert but don't sufficiently twist the L5-30 connector, then screw or twist the hood on and think they're done... and the electrical connection sits there not properly completed... I did that at first.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Some of the more absent minded will unplug the detachable cable and forget to take it with them when they vacate the site. They like to have the cable fixed in place (attached) so that if they forget to put it away, it will at least travel with them as they leave and drag it down the highway. Other than that, I can see no problems with the detachable cable.
Hehe, I don't know if you are being funny or not ice-breaker but we once dragged the trailer cord. Kinda got messed up.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Hehe, I don't know if you are being funny or not ice-breaker but we once dragged the trailer cord. Kinda got messed up.
I am all about the "walk around"

Before we depart.

Ever. Single time.

Once hooked up and all checked ... thorough walk around.

if we stop for a pee... walk around before driving off.

Always a good idea!!!!

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget your zipper....
Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #55

[QUOTE=Losangeles;194319]I am all about the "walk around"

Before we depart.

Ever. Single time.

Once hooked up and all checked ... thorough walk around.

The walk-around is absolutely one of our main main things. That cord was missed once but that was a long time ago. It is still possible to miss something even with a walk-around. Just not nearly as likely and a definite must do. One of the things I always tell people.

An easy way to sometimes still miss something is after the dump. Did the walk-around when leaving the campsite and then after the dump, have to make sure the water pump is off again, make sure the bath door is shut, make sure the locks are locked on the door, valves closed and more.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Walsh View Post
I have the "Smartplug" on my boat. It is a high quality connector designed to eliminate the poor connection to shore power and the arcing / overheating safety hazard which, according to the company, is common enough in the conventional connector. I put it in because I like to gold plate my boat - it gets all the love. I really don't think that you'll need to worry about replacement parts down the road; it's really solid and well protected from rain.
I just ordered the Smartplug from Camping World and can't wait to install on our trailer . Have been in communication with manufacturer and they couldn't be nicer . Even moved up my shipping ,with better shipping then Camping World was giving us .Pat
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Because the base L5-30 locking connector (and the L6-50 for 50-amp RVs) is not weather-resistant, most RV products based on it have some sort of weather hood. It can screw on, bayonet-mount, or clamp on (the Marinco EEL).

If the hood isn't attached properly, there can be weather damage. Sometimes the electrical (slight twist to lock) connection is knocked loose during the attempt to fasten the hood. Some people seem to not understand that the electrical connection and the hood are separate functions, so they insert but don't sufficiently twist the L5-30 connector, then screw or twist the hood on and think they're done... and the electrical connection sits there not properly completed... I did that at first.
Brian looks like Smartplug has new items for 50 amp . Take a look see . Pat
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pat,
Looking forward to seeing the install.
Are you replacing a pull out cord or an existing removable unit?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I just ordered the Smartplug from Camping World and can't wait to install on our trailer . Have been in communication with manufacturer and they couldn't be nicer . Even moved up my shipping ,with better shipping then Camping World was giving us .Pat
Can't wait to see it, Pat. An easy job for you, I know.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I just picked up my E21 last Friday and am driving it back to Maryland (attached photo is descending Stevens Pass on Saturday). Presently I am in Missoula, MT. I really like the rearview camera. I recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
20170422_130744.jpg  
johnp271 is offline   Reply With Quote