Escape 5.0 TA Questions - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #111
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I still own a 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe, LOVE that little trailer! Why did I buy a bigger custom built (20') ETI 5.0TA? After all these years I hate TOTES. They're always underfoot, in the trailer (where I stumble over them) or need to remember which Tote I packed something. (Gotta grab that TOTE out of the garage.) Gradually Ten Forward is becoming fully packed. I've shopped second hand stores, garage sales and have gone through my home looking for duplicates. I'm slowly (after nearly 15 months) hoping when I decide to just HOOK UP and GO, the only thing I need to pack are fresh foods. YMMV

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #112

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I still own a 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe, LOVE that little trailer! Why did I buy a bigger custom built (20') ETI 5.0TA? After all these years I hate TOTES. They're always underfoot, in the trailer (where I stumble over them) or need to remember which Tote I packed something. (Gotta grab that TOTE out of the garage.) Gradually Ten Forward is becoming fully packed. I've shopped second hand stores, garage sales and have gone through my home looking for duplicates. I'm slowly (after nearly 15 months) hoping when I decide to just HOOK UP and GO, the only thing I need to pack are fresh foods. YMMV
Gee Donna, I like my two totes. Easy to remember what is in them. The larger one contains the Weber Q100 and the smaller the camp stove, if I bother to bring the stove, and they go in the back seat of the F150. The totes keep the back seat clean, contain any odors, and serve as rain covers when turned upside down over the appliances. But I can understand not wanting a bunch of totes in the trailer to trip over or to move out of the way every 5 seconds. If I needed the back seat space for passengers, I would put the totes in the bed of the truck behind the hitch. But on the negative side, I can't just hitch and go. I have to load the two totes, two camp chairs, a door and patio mat, a small cooler, and a 5 lb propane tank into the truck before leaving. Good news, 10 minutes tops.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #113
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Eventually Carl, everyone figures it out. How much of that stuff do you REALLY use at home? For instance, I found myself packing clothes for a week out. Brought the dirty stuff inside, washed/folded put in the dresser. When it was time to go camping, got out the checklist, packed clothes out of the dresser... WTF? I only wore those clothes while camping... WHY did I put those things back in the dresser? The same with SOME cooking stuff.

Yes, there will always be things to pack at the last minute... medications, etc. But I found most of the CRAP I kept shlepping back and forth only were camping stuff. I'd rather keep Ten Forward packed and if I need IT, I'll go get it out of the trailer, rather than the other way around. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #114

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Yep, I agree. My clothes, pillow, and most items stay in the camper. Gail insists she wants to pick the clothing she will bring on every trip. Fine, I'm not going to play that game. So the only stuff I have to load is what goes in the truck and maybe food if we shop beforehand. And the liquid refreshments, of course! I still occasionally tweak things, but not very often; not like when we first started. And its usually something I learn from another RVer. You know, the "why didn't I think of that" syndrome.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #115

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentoma View Post
A comment was made about the Andersen Hitch being so much quieter than the Reese in comparison.
Quote:
Bottom line about the hitches is the Andersen Hitch might be quiet .... but I just bet the Curt Q20 is just as quiet if not more so. Kind of overkill for my 22' fifth and for the 5.0 T/A ..... but much of the cost is in the installation anyway (thought about installing myself, but didn't).
While I agree that installation would be a substantial part of the overall hitch cost (so the cost of the hitch itself might not be critical... although the Q-series Curts are expensive), I'm not sure that even total installed cost is the primary factor for some of us. Weight may be a greater factor, both due to limited GVWR of the truck, and due to the physical challenge of removing the (removable part of) the hitch between uses.

On the other hand, if I resort to a fifth-wheel I'll probably lift the hitch in and out with a basic engine crane, anyway. An excuse for another couple hundred dollars of garage equipment...

Quote:
I wasn't sure about the Q20 last year as I had a couple occasions where I had difficulty hooking up on slightly uneven ground. But so far I think I found the problem to that this summer as it needs a seasonal lubrication and I am pretty sure the installer or maybe even manufacturer never gave it one.
Sadly, equipment does not always come in a ready-to-operate state, even when it should, and even when someone has been paid to install it. I don't think this issue is unique to Curt or this specific installer.

But.... Seasonal lubrication? The Instruction Sheet for the Q20 says
Quote:
Lubricate before each individual use and every 1,000 miles thereafter
There's a page of lubrication instructions for the jaw pin grease fittings, lower bearing grease fittings, spiral cam, and skid plate.

I just re-read the instructions for the lighter and somewhat different Curt Q16, and this is the lubrication specified before each use:
Quote:
  • Remove the center pivot pin and apply a light coating of high-pressure wheel bearing grease. Replace the pin and ensure it is secured with the safety lynch pin
  • Open jaws and apply a small amount of grease to the curved surface of locking pawl. Pawl will be accessible through the operating handle opening in the head side plate
  • Use a grease gun to apply grease to both zerks located on the front of each jaw. The jaws must be in the closed and locked position for the zerks to be accessible.
  • Use an aerosol applicator to spray a small amount of rust inhibitor or lubricant on the lock handle, linkage bar and pawl pivot points
I can see doing these things seasonally, or in some cases once per trip, but for every hook-up seems unreasonable.

Perhaps these are procedures which no one is expected to actually follow - after all, the same Q16 manual says to do these:
Quote:
  • Torque the four 14mm leg pilot bolts to 100 foot lbs. Re-torque after initial 500 miles and every 1,000 miles thereafter and prior to each individual use
  • Torque the two 16mm head bolts to 175 foot lbs. prior to each use and every 1,000 miles thereafter
... and the Q20 manual says
Quote:
IMPORTANT: Torque the four pilot bolts to 100 foot lbs. Re-torque after initial 500 miles and every 1,000 miles thereafter and prior to each individual use.
It's hard for me to imagine breaking out the torque wrench to make sure the parts of the tug are still properly put together each and every day on the road.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #116

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm slowly (after nearly 15 months) hoping when I decide to just HOOK UP and GO, the only thing I need to pack are fresh foods.
Yup. And don't forget your toothbrush! (I have all the toiletries, make-up, cleaning supplies, pots/pan, dishes and utensils and even some cooking staples duplicated in my trailer.) My camping clothes are always the same and go in a tote in the back of the truck so that just leaves the food and I'm good to go.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #117

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too keep everything but most clothes and food packed. We do have a list that has items we will load dependant upon destination, like all my camera gear, bikes, canoes, bug tent, etc.

No makeup for us though. My wife doesn't use it, and it wouldn't make me any purdier anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #118

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
What?? No make-up? Wouldn't leave home without it, otherwise you couldn't see me, paleface that I am.

My reference to the toothbrush is for Donna D. who once said she forgot hers TWICE.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:50 AM   #119

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Because of where we live, we have to consider the heat factor when deciding what to keep in the trailer while stored. Many things we'd like to keep there would deteriorate rapidly if stored in the trailer. That includes things like cleaners, greases, oils, personal toiletries and of course, any food items. Pretty much the only things we can keep in the trailer are clothes, tools, dinnerware, linens and other items which won't be hurt by the heat.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #120
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
and up here we have the cold factor, thus any canned items or liquid based needs to be removed, freezing them will cause a mess.