Escape 5.0 TA Questions - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #131

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 F250 Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGill View Post
I'm finishing up my 5.0TA build sheet as it's due on 9/1 and was wondering what folks thought about getting the added wall/ceiling insulation option? I've already gone with the foam in the floor. Any other options that people would suggest? Also, I'll be using a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Sport with tow package.
Welcome GusGill,
We also had a 2013 Tacoma with tow package. Due to the bed lining and marginal weight capabilities, we decided to trade it in and we got a 2014 Ford F-150 with a really good tow rating. We pick up our 5.0TA on Sept 8th and we got the full insulation package (under foam, extra insulation in the walls and windows - except the bed area). We based most of what we decided on by what the experienced members of the forum related. Such a great bunch of folks! (Thanks padlin on the windows suggestion).
We just hope all that we ordered will do well for us..... of course they will! It's an Escape!!
:eggrv;
Lucy

Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #132

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Does anyone know if 2 solar panels can be added to the 5.0TA? If so, what is the cost of the extra panel? Thanks!

nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #133

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentoma View Post
It would be a good comparison to list all the same hitch prices from Amazon as they might consistently have better pricing. For what it is worth ETrailer has this at $631 USD - so based on the above comparison somewhere between the Reese R16 Titan and Q20 Curt but is heavier than both with a shipping weight of 147 lbs.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/ne...reply&p=105431

I had considered one of these Patriots before deciding on the Q20 Curt. The Patriot looks like a very good hitch. I like the jaw mechanism and the heavy duty aspect. I remember people having positive things to say about it. I also notice at least one zerk fitting. I can see this one lasting well beyond my 14 year expectation.

Our B&W Patriot hitch weighs 114 pounds plus the weight of the rails (one piece 67 and the other 47). We bought ours in June 2013 and paid $400 including shipping. Rails were ordered elsewhere.
Here is the current Amazon link:
Amazon.com: B&W Trailer Hitches 3200 Patriot Fifth Wheel Hitch: Automotive
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #134

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
As for the Curt Q series being expensive, I am not sure why you think that. Below is pricing from ETrailer...
Good info. Since I was getting service information from the Curt website I saw the pricing there, which would be manufacturer's suggested list price - over USD$700. Just from memory, that seemed really high... and even the street price is twice as high as the cheapest alternative. It may well be worth that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #135

Quote:
Reese cautions NOT to install in truck beds shorter than 6 feet. Yet we know many people are with extensions, sliders or just using extra caution and doing it successfully.
Although shorter boxes require caution even with an Escape, I think it is key to remember that the hitch manufacturers are assuming a 96" to 102" wide trailer body, so up to 51" would be required for a 90 degree angle to the truck. A 5.0TA (along with the 21 Foot) is the widest Escape, but it's still only 88" wide.

Any hitch configuration can be jacknifed in reverse to the point of jamming stuff together that shouldn't touch, but I would want to be able to at least go forward as tightly as the truck will turn and not have the trailer hit the cab; the spacing required to do that depends on truck wheelbase, steering angle, and the distance from the trailer's pin to axle. I can do that with my van and conventional trailer, which takes one concern out of maneuvering.

Quote:
One way or another these hitches have moving parts that need regular lubrication.
The chassis of a car is full of heavily loaded moving suspension parts, and in a modern car none of them need regular lubrication. Unfortunately, this is typical of RV equipment: relatively crude.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #136

Hitch pricing

Quote:
As for the Curt Q series being expensive, I am not sure why you think that. Below is pricing from ETrailer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since I was getting service information from the Curt website I saw the pricing there, which would be manufacturer's suggested list price - over USD$700.
By coincidence, a flyer came from a "performance" parts store (now mostly truck equipment - JB's Power Centre) today, with some hitches. What looks like the Curt E16 is only C$376, but the Q20 is C$800. The Q20 may well be worth the price difference, but it's not cheap.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #137

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
19 escape

I'm looking at a 19ft escape the 5th wheel version where can I get info on a 2013 model spec's etc . what height should the 5th wheel be for a small pickup . Can I pick this up with a Ram 3500 with 5th wheel attachment Lots of questions ? and very little time to make up mind . Also how does one start a new thread?? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #138

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Tap/click the "Forum" tab on the upper left corner of the homepage. Then tap/click on the appropriate category for your topic. The, tap/click the "Forum Tools" drop-down box and select "New Thread."
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #139

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Perhaps ditching the general purpose table we have now and using the stock interior table outside when needed. However, I wouldn't want to be moving it back and forth so have yet to convince myself of this.
I see nobody has addressed this part of your post. From what I'm reading, you're thinking of taking the table that's inside the trailer (at the dinette) and use it outside? Nope, won't work as far as I know. It's installed on a pedestal and isn't exactly lightweight either.

What we're going to do, when we eventually order our trailer (1/5th of the way to the purchase price saved up! YAY!) is have the dinette as U-shaped with two filler boards. Small, flip-up tables/counters will be installed at either end and we'll use those for eating at and setting drinks on when lounging at the dinette. yeah, we'll order the table but I don't plan to use it. It's more for if we have to sell the trailer, as the next owner might like it.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #140

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
taking the table that's inside the trailer (at the dinette) and use it outside? Nope, won't work as far as I know. It's installed on a pedestal and isn't exactly lightweight either.
Actually, the material ETI uses to construct tables is relatively light and could easily be carried outside. You would want to remove the pedestal sockets (2) and purchase/fabricate some type of folding legs. But I would be most concerned about the weather as the Escape table was not designed for outdoor use. I would think you would be better off leaving it inside and buying a small table with collapsible legs at WallyWorld for outside use.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote