Escape 5.0 TA Questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #61

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
Ethan, I have a 5.0 T.A. and live in Palm Desert, just over the hill from you. I will be happy to show it to you (everyone else on the road wants to see it!). My wife and I are tentatively planning a night or two at the Oak Grove campground near Warner Springs a week from today. Perhaps we can meet in the vicinity? PM me and we can arrange a viewing.

Craig
Craig: I noticed your location earlier this evening while absorbing all of this interesting info. We have a daughter visiting from Florida, departing on 8-10. Will look into the schedule and see what is possible. Last resort, we could come to you on later date. I'll be in touch. Thanks, Ethan
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #62

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I believe safety chain requirements on the Gooseneck's are state specific, you'd need to check where you travel. They are not included with the basic hitch package but are an optional item, for the states that need them.

The Anderson looks to eliminate the need to get int he truck bed to lock the latch arm, they have a remote latch for the ball, leaving just the chains to reach, if needed.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanallen2 View Post
Scuba55 and all of the others who have joined in on this thread: Thanks!! Great to hear from an AndersonUltimate Connection. Part of our original consideration is to get away from a 27 ft TT and the weight distribution bars/sway control (In my 80th yr, currently right arm casted after surgery to correct severe thumb arthritis), and height challenged at 5'7"; started with 36 ft Bounder with tow car (quick & easy hookup), then down-sized to 27 ft TT (labor intensive hookup & learn to back the rig!). TT has electric tongue jack, easy to position ball height and with Ram's backup camera, relatively easy to hitch the ball. I have heard the 5.0TA has front electric legs/jacks; are they easily controllable to adjust the Anderson Hitch to accept the ball? Now, with the tailgate down, the hitch on the ball...how does one get into the truck bed,
under the front of the trailer to lock the ball in place?? Or looking at the photos, does one solve this from truck box, but in front of the trailer hitch? I am wondering if there is space to
open the tailgate during the hitching op? Absolutely no fifth wheel experience or even close observation. I have gotten looks at photos of the Anderson Hitch but don't recall how the hitch is "securely" locked on the ball. Thanks to Brian B-P for providing Alberta and British Columbia chain requirements, exempting if the trailer is a fifth wheel. Scuba55: any knowledge on any US requirements? My wife Jacki is from Canada...maybe that will get me by! Thanks again to all the contributors!!
As far as locking the ball trailer to the hitch, it could not be easier. When the hitch is installed (I did it myself) there is a cable that runs to to coupler that is attached to the king pin, it has a handled that is mounted to the frame of the trailer ( in my case) on the driver side. You can also mount in on the passenger side if you want. From outside the truck, you push the cable handle to lock the ball, then turn the handle to lock it in place. Again, its so easy! As far as regulations regarding safety chains in the US, I have not yet researched, but intend to. I would not be surprised if its a state by state issue...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I believe safety chain requirements on the Gooseneck's are state specific, you'd need to check where you travel. They are not included with the basic hitch package but are an optional item, for the states that need them.

The Anderson looks to eliminate the need to get int he truck bed to lock the latch arm, they have a remote latch for the ball, leaving just the chains to reach, if needed.
Bob, you're correct on locking the ball, its so easy.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #65

Padlin and Scuba55: Thanks again for all your informative information. -Ethan
Old 08-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #66

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Ethan, I look forward to it.
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Tailgate Clearance

Quote:
I am wondering if there is space to
open the tailgate during the hitching op?
Normally, yes, but if you have a particularly tall tailgate or put the hitch unusually far forward you could have problems - I think most (maybe all) Escape 5.0TA owners have no problem with this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #68

Jack legs

Quote:
I have heard the 5.0TA has front electric legs/jacks; are they easily controllable to adjust the Anderson Hitch to accept the ball?
They should be. Most fifth-wheel trailers have a single motor running both legs, so you need to adjust the feet before unhitching so that both hit the ground together; however, Escape uses two separate jack motors so you can run them independently if required to match the ground. With both switches together behind an access door, you stand in one place and push both switches together to lift or lower the trailer. It seems like the easiest possible arrangement.

Also, if using the Andersen Ultimate system, you only need the trailer lifted enough to clear the ball to back in - just like a conventional trailer, it does not need to be accurately set to any particular height.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #69

Thanks again for more info.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #70

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I keep a two-step Rubbermaid step stool in the bed of the truck to make climbing into the bed when unhitched easier. I also use it to lock the hitch latch after connecting, or to unlock it in preparation for disconnecting, from the side of the bed without climbing in.
Having had a Scamp 19 which uses a modified Reese 5th Wheel Hitch (a solid plate with a 2-inch ball on top and an Atwood coupler in lieu of a kingpin), I can unequivocally state that I spent far more time and experienced far more frustration getting the ball directly under the coupler than I do getting the king pin box to the correct height or securing the connection after it is made. While lower hitch weight may be seen as a benefit to some, it doesn't mean much to me since I only handle the hitch twice, before leaving home and after returning home. I gladly accept the added weight for what I find to be far easier hitching. And since I use a magnetic hook with a piece of plastic yellow chain cut to the correct length as a gauge and attached to the bottom of the pin box to "adjust" kingpin height prior to connecting, I am usually within an inch of where I have to be to connect.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #71

C&G in FL: Thanks for the info and another point of view. Our visiting daughter is from Clearwater; he is a CG helo pilot. Small world...
Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
On the build sheet for the 5.0 TA it ask for your truck information and has the statement ( please note we require this information prior to your trailer entering production to ensure the 5.0 TA is manufactured to the correct height. ) So this got me to wondering just how much is the 5.0TA manufactured different for each vehicles. What happens when you change your tow vehicle can the 5.0 TA be easily reconfigured to fit a different vehicle?

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
On the build sheet for the 5.0 TA it ask for your truck information and has the statement ( please note we require this information prior to your trailer entering production to ensure the 5.0 TA is manufactured to the correct height. ) So this got me to wondering just how much is the 5.0TA manufactured different for each vehicles.
There are two parts which can be changed, both related to height.
  1. The suspension height can be set. The basic adjustment is whether the axles are placed above the springs (lower trailer height) or below them (higher trailer). There are apparently three different levels - I don't know what the other change is.
  2. The pinbox - the steel box sticking out the front which has the pin on the end - can be adjusted vertically by unbolting it from its base and bolting it back in using a different set of holes.
Height is relevant because the front of the trailer must clear the sides of the truck box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
What happens when you change your tow vehicle can the 5.0 TA be easily reconfigured to fit a different vehicle?
Yes, both settings above can be changed by just unbolting parts and bolting them back in at a different position. There are some details which make it more work - such as the weight of the components - but the original configuration does not prevent you from changing to another height later for a different tug.

The spring-under/spring-over suspension change normally requires parts and welding, but Escape buys these axles with double mounting pads so no welding is required to change the height.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #74

Hi Brian B-P,
Thanks Brian for taking the time to write such a thorough answer to my 5.0 TA question. it is greatly appreciate it .
Mark

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #75

Storage question on the 5.0TA the outside hatch access door just to right of the entrance door. Does this access hatch open up,the area under the stair for storage?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #76

This is the area I am wondering if the access hatch opens up for storage?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape
Looking to buy a 5.0 Escape in the West Coast.

Thank you,
Mirna RD
Mirna RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Escape
Wow! Thank you for this explanation. This really helps us!

Blessings on everyone's journeys!

Mirna RD
Mirna RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:19 AM   #79

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
The bottom two steps open for storage. The outside one opens up to under the drawer in the cabinet next to the stairs.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #80
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerh View Post
The bottom two steps open for storage. The outside one opens up to under the drawer in the cabinet next to the stairs.
Ginger is correct. And the storage is deep... all the way to the bottom of the trailer. I can barely see what's at the bottom and reaching in to grab something laying at the bottom... sure wish my arm was longer. I store the BAL stabilizer crank, awning de-flappers and the emergency landing jack crank in that storage area. The awning pull down rod is too long (hummm, may need to shorten that!).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote