Escape 5.0 TA Questions - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Donna, does the tonneau block your view of the hitch, causing the alignment challenge?
No, it's because I have an extended cab. Those with a four-door model truck... it would be worse. If that's possible. With a standard cab truck, just turn and look out the rear window into the bed. Not possible with other model trucks.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Choices

I've been hooking a 5th wheel to my Chev fullsize extend-cab PU for 18 years. First a 21' OK 5th wheel and now the 5.0TA.
I can back up the truck up to the pin, by turning and looking at it. On my own.
Then get out, put in the slide arm safety pin, brake-away line, and electrical connection.
Very easy to do.

I have also bumper-pulled over the years and find it a little more work (I don't have a back-up camera).

I find the electric jacks the greatest simple thing to speeding up the whole process, and much, much easier on my back and arms.

For me the choice of the 5.0TA was about the real bed, and the slightly shorter length when towing. We have ferries fares based on overall length, so this is a cost to consider.

sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
I've been hooking a 5th wheel to my Chev fullsize extend-cab PU for 18 years. First a 21' OK 5th wheel and now the 5.0TA.
I can back up the truck up to the pin, by turning and looking at it. On my own.
Then get out, put in the slide arm safety pin, brake-away line, and electrical connection.
Very easy to do.
Now I get it. I didn't even take into consideration how tall someone is. I'm only 5'7" (on a good day), when I turn and look... I can see the top of the tailgate
Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I've had both and find the FW easier then the bumper pull, but then I had a weight distribution hitch to mess with. No weight dist hitch or the light weight Anderson, might negate the preference. Either way if alone I have to get out once or twice, with the bumper pull for ball alignment, for the FW to verify height. I added alignment marks on the tonneau cover and the pin box so I can back in 1st try. I also have the 2" or less clearance of a Ford 150 tailgate. Comes from the placement of the frame mount holes, they are a fixed distance from the back of the bed. That and the short distance between the kingpin and the front of the Escape. A slider hitch might be a way around it, but I've never used one.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now I get it. I didn't even take into consideration how tall someone is. I'm only 5'7" (on a good day), when I turn and look... I can see the top of the tailgate
I'm 5'10" and change. I didn't consider either that height effects what you can see when you twist around
I've seen but not used a mirror, mounted on the 5th wheel pin box, that allows the driver to see 'down' towards the hitch.
I have a 5th wheel type tail gate that is steel mesh on a solid frame, with the notch for the pin. They rattle a wee bit.
The steel mesh does make it easy to tie things down into the box (chairs, bags, w.h.y.)
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #46

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Ethan, I have a 5.0 T.A. and live in Palm Desert, just over the hill from you. I will be happy to show it to you (everyone else on the road wants to see it!). My wife and I are tentatively planning a night or two at the Oak Grove campground near Warner Springs a week from today. Perhaps we can meet in the vicinity? PM me and we can arrange a viewing.

Craig
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Either way if alone I have to get out once or twice, with the bumper pull for ball alignment, for the FW to verify height.
Wouldn't the right height for the pin be whatever height it was at when unhitching? Of course the jacks are moved after unhitching to level the trailer after unhitching, but a tape measure or a weight and string should allow one to duplicate that height when finished camping.

Quote:
I also have the 2" or less clearance of a Ford 150 tailgate. Comes from the placement of the frame mount holes, they are a fixed distance from the back of the bed.
That makes sense - Reace presumably sized the pin-to-body clearance to be adequate for typical full-sized trucks, but not larger than necessary because excess clearance with a smaller truck just means more aero drag and a bulkier rig.

Quote:
A slider hitch might be a way around it, but I've never used one.
If it's a manual slider that's an interesting solution. The automatic sliders (PullRite SuperGlide) are in the full-forward position when straight ahead, and that's the only way to hitch them up, so one of those wouldn't help.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This may seem like a silly question, but does your seat move vertically? (Some don't). I'm surprised by how low some people choose to sit in their vehicles, despite the limitation on visibility in all directions. I set mine for just enough clearance to the ceiling for comfort.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This may seem like a silly question, but does your seat move vertically? (Some don't). I'm surprised by how low some people choose to sit in their vehicles, despite the limitation on visibility in all directions. I set mine for just enough clearance to the ceiling for comfort.
Probably does, the truck does everything but the dishes and have a cab-mounted camera.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #50

Trailer: 5.0TA
As this discussion seems to have moved to the 5.0TA and towing, I have a question. Has anyone added air bags to the rear axle of their pickup to level the rear of the pickup when towing the 5.0TA? - Dan

oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote