Escape 5.0 TA Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
56"x22.5"
Old 08-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Hi Craig,
Thanks for offering to help answer questions. Here one from my wife she would like to know what is the lenght of the kitchen counter top.
Mark
The sizes mentioned are accurate. You can always have the stove turned sideways to gain a few "extra" inches. But it should be said and understood that RV countertops are not as conducive to meal preparation as are those found in home kitchens or even apartment kitchens. And if you leave a coffee maker or any other appliance set up you lose even more space. We frequently chop vegetables sitting at the dinette or even outside on the picnic table. The 5.0TA is a great trailer overall (as is every other model made by ETI) but when "space" is the topic, almost everything is a compromise, from the size of the kitchen, the bathroom, floor space, storage space, etc. Fortunately, if you are like most people, the majority of in-trailer time is spent sleeping. Unless you normally sleep on a king, the 5.0TA's bed is not a compromise; it is (IMHO) one of the TA's best features.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Should add we had ETI put a folding counter extension on the door side of the counter, it's 11"x13". Gives us back the space we lost with the double sink and 3 burner stove. Could probably ask for it to be wider, like 13"x13" or more, but it'd make getting through the doorway tough when it was up.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Thanks Bob & Carl great suggestions time to going out to the Escape 19 with a tape measure.
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
We (Seniors) are considering downsizing from 27 ft ForestRiver TravelTrailer w 1 slide; a primary reason to get away from heavy weight distribution hitch & labor that goes with it and needing less internal space. We looking at the 5.0TA. We haven't actually seen one yet, just this forum & TrailerLife (Aug 2015); if you have any comments in this regard, would appreciate hearing them. If we are in the right ballpark, we will be looking for more more on the 5.0TA. Thanks! Enjoy your new rig!
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Ethan, to our little Escape world. Please contact Escape Trailer Ind and they will arrange for a viewing in your area.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanallen2 View Post
We (Seniors) are considering downsizing from 27 ft ForestRiver TravelTrailer w 1 slide; a primary reason to get away from heavy weight distribution hitch & labor that goes with it and needing less internal space. We looking at the 5.0TA. We haven't actually seen one yet, just this forum & TrailerLife (Aug 2015); if you have any comments in this regard, would appreciate hearing them. If we are in the right ballpark, we will be looking for more more on the 5.0TA. Thanks! Enjoy your new rig!
Ethan, I'm not sure how far Las Vegas is from you, but if you're ever in the area, you're more than welcome to stop by and look at mine.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
We live in San Marcos, CA, suburb of San Diego,about 6 -7 hr run to LV. Until a month ago, we kids in Henderson...Dohave comments o my original post, reducing labor not having wt distribution bars, etc, vs the 5th wheel hookup? How does the new Ram pull the 5.0TA?
Thanks.
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #29

I too thought that Ethan had a good question how is it comparing hitching up an fifth wheel trailer compared to a standard travel trailer? Easier, harder ,faster ,slower ?
Mark

Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I too thought that Ethan had a good question how is it comparing hitching up an fifth wheel trailer compared to a standard travel trailer? Easier, harder ,faster ,slower ?
Mark
I think the 5th wheel hookup/unhook is a bit easier and quicker, but that's not as important as having the unit you want. Hookup and unhook is only a few minutes either way.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think the 5th wheel hookup/unhook is a bit easier and quicker, but that's not as important as having the unit you want. Hookup and unhook is only a few minutes either way.
Hi Rob,
I have to go along with probably a little easier and faster but not that much difference over all
Mark

Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sorry group. I find a bumper pull a whole bunch easier/faster to hookup. Especially if you have a tailgate camera. But, then again... I'm a solo traveler and perhaps that makes it just different for me.

To begin with, Dennis warned me to not drag the front leg landing gear. That's a lot of down force weight from the loft. And, the electrics won't handle much. So, the kingpin needs to be nearly dead on to the hitch. For me, that means getting out and standing under the loft and looking.. sometimes a bunch of times. With the tailgate down, I only have about 2" clearance to the trailer, that means the truck has to be straight, really straight. I have the 6.5 bed F-150. Just some more things to consider.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I dunno Donna, when the partner stands behind the trailer where they can't be seen in the mirrors and then finally moves into view and starts all the undecipherable hand waving and shouting you might ultimately be faster solo.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape 5.0 TA Questions

You might be right Donna - if the tow has a nice backup camera like ours do. I use the zoom button once I get close and after doing it several times previously, I can get the receiver in the exact position (just barely front of center so the ball slips in as its lowered) the first time. The centerline marker is great too.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #35

Very interesting post Donna much food for thought . I have never hitched a fifth wheel trailers or pulled one so your the expert here. Donna when you say that you only have two inches of clearance with the tailgate down. Are you saying that your tailgate is only two inches from hitting the front of you 5.0 TA? I wonder if that's why a lot of pickup trucks that tow fifth wheel trailers have the smaller custom tailgates?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Very interesting post Donna much food for thought . I have never hitched a fifth wheel trailers or pulled one so your the expert here. Donna when you say that you only have two inches of clearance with the tailgate down. Are you saying that your tailgate is only two inches from hitting the front of you 5.0 TA? I wonder if that's why a lot of pickup trucks that tow fifth wheel trailers have the smaller custom tailgates?

Yes Mark. About 2" when the tailgate is down from hitting the front of the trailer.

My truck is my daily driver, the hitch is always in the bed of the truck (too heavy for me to want to put it in and out!) and I have the G2 Bakflip tonneau. I wouldn't want to fool with a custom tailgate either... Most of the custom tailgates I've seen just have the notch cut of the middle, or are made of web material.

Hooking the 5er isn't difficult, just tedious. As I said though, I wouldn't call it easier or quicker than a bumper pull.

Now, if I could move the tailgate camera to the top of the cab, that would be NEATO! I'm sure I can purchase an aftermarket camera and may look into that in the future.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #37

Donna,
Wow two inches from the tailgate to the front of you 5.0 TA doesn't give you muchwiggle room. I would definitely look into the second reverse camera in the bed of your truck.
Mark

Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Donna,
Wow two inches from the tailgate to the front of you 5.0 TA doesn't give you muchwiggle room. I would definitely look into the second reverse camera in the bed of your truck.
Mark
I deal with 1/72" measurements all day long on my job. I'm pretty good at estimating. Haven't hit Ten Forward yet (KNOCK ON WOOD ). However, it's not for the faint of heart...

I'll take a picture next time I'm out.

Actually, lower the tailgate, backup until the hitch/kingpin clear the tailgate area when closed, close the tailgate and continue backing up "CLANG". Hooked up.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have also taken note that where two or more people are involved in hooking up a tow vehicle, there is a whole lot of yelling and waving going on. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Perhaps true... for those who physically have no problem with bending down and dealing with WD hardware and safety chains, neither of which are used with a fifth-wheel.

Quote:
Donna when you say that you only have two inches of clearance with the tailgate down. Are you saying that your tailgate is only two inches from hitting the front of you 5.0 TA? I wonder if that's why a lot of pickup trucks that tow fifth wheel trailers have the smaller custom tailgates?
Perhaps. The typical fifth-wheel tailgate isn't actually smaller, it just has a notch in the middle so it can be left up and the truck backed under the trailer - the notch allows the pin to pass into the box area. It could be due to issues with clearance when the tailgate is down, but it could be just to save the effort of putting the tailgate down and back up again during the hitching or unhitching sequence.

Some people put the tailgate down, back in until the pinbox is in the truck box, put the tailgate back up, then finish backing in. This is done because they are even more squeezed for clearance than Donna - this can happen with the Scamp 19', which is a ball-hitch trailer of the same general configuration as an Escape 5.0, but shorter from lower body to hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have the G2 Bakflip tonneau.
I'm sure I can purchase an aftermarket camera and may look into that in the future.
Donna, does the tonneau block your view of the hitch, causing the alignment challenge?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote