Escape 5 or Ecape 5.TA ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
Escape 5 or Ecape 5.TA ?

Apart from the obvious; could someone please list the difference?

PS Did anyone miss the typo? :-)
gillfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillfoto View Post
Apart from the obvious; could someone please list the difference?

PS Did anyone miss the typo? :-)
Hi: gillfoto... We've had both a 5.0 and a 5.0TA... so here's a couple of pic's. The 5.0TA is
8" wider
5" taller
8" longer.
The kitchen is reversed to the passenger side with the fridge now on the drivers side. The loft/bed area is bigger housing a full 60X80" Queen sized mattress. All water tanks are larger and the A/C is low profile on the roof.
I feel the twin axle is more stable towing although the single axle wasn't unstable!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020443.jpg   P1030644.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the Info

Hello Escape Artist, Many thanks for your useful information. On the subject of the Dual Axle; with the Single Axle to you miss ability to turn on a Dime?
Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Hello Escape Artist, Many thanks for your useful information. On the subject of the Dual Axle; with the Single Axle to you miss ability to turn on a Dime?
Thanks
Not sure what Alf will say having had both a 5.0 and a 5.0TA, but prior to my 5.0TA I had a Scamp 19 which had a single axle. I do not find the double axle any less responsive in turns than the single axle.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think they're both fine trailers! But, for me.. it's the interior layout in the 5.0TA that I wanted, especially the large kitchen counter. Oh my!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Thanks
I went from a single bumper pull to the double axle fifth wheel, took some getting used to. Whether it's the 2nd axle or the different pivot point, I find the 5.0TA slower to react when backing up.

You are right, it also does not turn on a dime like the single axle did, but I can't say I miss it. In many ways, the slower response and wider turning radius is more predictable.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Ditto on the maneuvering - I find the twin axle far more predictable when backing around curves; part of the reason is on my 21 they are farther back from my ball compared to a Casita 17. Just geometry in action.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks
Hi: gillfoto... Being a retired transit bus operator I am used to not turning on a dime!!! Backing into spaces requires a longer swing space to get the trailer to react. The 5.0 single axle would "Jack knife" much quicker... see pic.
The learning curve took some getting used to. I must admit I still need more practice. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
It'll buff out.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One more difference: the 5.0 had the same Dexter Torflex "rubber torsion" independent suspension (axle) as the other Escape models; the 5.0TA has Dexter rigid beam axles and leaf springs (with a Dexter rubber-cushioned equalizer rocker). The change was made to allow for easier changes in the height of the 5.0TA, to suit it to varying heights of trucks, but even the 5.0 can be raised from the stock height with spacers between the suspension and frame.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Some interesting points mentioned here. I'm thinking I misinterpreted "turning on a dime" as when moving forward or making U-turns. I did not notice much difference when moving forward (pulling) in the Scamp 19 vs. the 5.0TA when moving forward. However, when backing (pushing the trailer). The TA is easier to back up in a straight line or into a campsite. I attribute it to the added distance between the connection point (pin/coupler) to the rear wheels on the trailer. And added resistance of 4 tire contact points vs. 2 makes a difference in backing responsiveness. But I would add and I have stated this more than a few times: the best way to practice is to use a dump cart connected to a lawn trailer.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: gillfoto... Being a retired transit bus operator I am used to not turning on a dime!!! Backing into spaces requires a longer swing space to get the trailer to react. The 5.0 single axle would "Jack knife" much quicker... see pic.
The learning curve took some getting used to. I must admit I still need more practice. Alf
Snap: I'm also retired Transit Bus operator, with Capital Transit (11 years).
Old 11-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Good to know, I do have a twenty foot North River but that's on a dual axle trailer. My technique for that requires looking through Cab rear window as I steer.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One more difference: the 5.0 had the same Dexter Torflex "rubber torsion" independent suspension (axle) as the other Escape models; the 5.0TA has Dexter rigid beam axles and leaf springs (with a Dexter rubber-cushioned equalizer rocker). The change was made to allow for easier changes in the height of the 5.0TA, to suit it to varying heights of trucks, but even the 5.0 can be raised from the stock height with spacers between the suspension and frame.
Good to know thanks!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Some interesting points mentioned here. I'm thinking I misinterpreted "turning on a dime" as when moving forward or making U-turns. I did not notice much difference when moving forward (pulling) in the Scamp 19 vs. the 5.0TA when moving forward. However, when backing (pushing the trailer). The TA is easier to back up in a straight line or into a campsite. I attribute it to the added distance between the connection point (pin/coupler) to the rear wheels on the trailer. And added resistance of 4 tire contact points vs. 2 makes a difference in backing responsiveness. But I would add and I have stated this more than a few times: the best way to practice is to use a dump cart connected to a lawn trailer.
Thanks!