Escape 5th wheel questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #1

Escape 5th wheel questions

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering a fiberglass RV, maybe The Egg (because of all the head room. He's 6'3"). But I found out the bed is too narrow, and so is the bathroom. Escapes are more expensive, but might be a possibility.
What are the dimensions of the Escape's bathrooms, and the head room? The 5th wheel and the 19' especially. Also, is the 5th wheel's bed a full size queen like the 19'? We really need 60 x 80. Most trailer beds seem short (74").
What kind of wood is being used? We watched a Youtube video of the factory, and it looked like particleboard.
What kind of r-value is in the walls? We are thinking of full-timing in the unit and want it to be warm.
We are in CA, so getting a fiberglass rv will involve travel. Does anyone here have experience with the stick-built fiberglass trailers like the R-Pod? We have lots of choices of those around here and were thinking of compromising. We'd get a bigger bathroom that way, if we got the Rockwood Mini ETC. But we don't want to end up mopping up leaks.
Any help is much appreciated.
Lisa
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Escape 5th wheel questions

Hi: LisaJ... The interior roof height in our 5.0 varies from 6'2" at the dinette table to 7' at the base of the stairs to the bed. Our trailer has a full 60X80 queen mattress but it fits in with a slight up curve at the front end. We find that great as we don't require two pillows that way. The wet bath is 6' tall with the roof vent handle pulled down. I'm 5'8" & 225# but still sit on the toilet to shower. Here's a couple of interior pics. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
self portrait.jpg   against the wall.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

Hi: Again...The cabinette frames are solid wood and the base of the dinette seating area is particle board. The sub floor is plywood over full fiberglass and the cupboard doors are solid oak with oak veneer wall covering. That way the dry weight of the trailer is around 2500 lbs. More pic's. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
down under 2.jpg   hooked on you2.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #4

Hi, LisaJ -- if you go to the Escape Trailer Industries web site at http://escapetrailer.com/ and use their "Contact Us" button you can email your questions to them directly via their web site email. Our initial enquiries to them were made this way.

We have a 2009 17A. A friend of ours whose father has a live-aboard yacht he keeps moored off Barbados says the interior finish of our Escape reminds her of her father's yacht; everything is either solid light oak, or light oak veneer. There are two grades of insulation available, but I don't know their R-value. There are also tinted double-paned windows.

Get hold of Tammy and Reace, the factory owners, at their Web site. They can also put you in touch with Escape owners near you -- all owners will usually show their trailer to interested people.

Good luck in your search for info!
And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Thanks all for your replies. I'll write to Tammy at the factory to ask more questions.
So have any of you also owned the stick-built rvs? A comparison would help us. The floorplans are better in some of the local small trailers like Rockwood. But we are very worried about leaks and other problems.
Lisa
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #6

Hi: LisaJ... Our first trailer was a 1977 13' Boler fiberglass trailer. We bought it in 2006 for more than it sold for new, in '77. After re upholstering and adding new 12V. system and refurbished plumbing, and using it for 2 years, it sold for almost double what we paid for it...in 20 min. on another forum. I can pretty much guarantee that won't happen with a stick built trailer. Alf
escape artist N.S.of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
77 Boler@ Emily.jpg   driveway.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I think it's important to remember there are no living rooms in molded fiberglass trailers, the entire outdoors is your living room! You'd spend 90% of your time inside either sitting or laying down. Lots of people sit on the toilet to shower. It gets the job done. There's a saying about smaller trailers, "if you expect to be as comfortable in a tiny trailer as you are at home, you'd better stay home." That's not to say you would be uncomfortable, it's just different "living" and you should expect to do things differently. It's like the difference between an efficiency kitchen and a gourmet kitchen. You can cook food in both, you just shouldn't expect to do the cooking the same, using the same utensils.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Bravo!

baglo
Old 06-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Donna, we share much the same thoughts. I have always maintained that the living room is outside the trailer door.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Donna, we share much the same thoughts. I have always maintained that the living room is outside the trailer door.
With the great awning on the Escape, that's true even if it's raining : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #11

Thanks All for your replies,

I agree there will be adjustments living in such a small space. We love the outdoors and like that awning on the Escapes. My husband and I chatted about the shower thing and realize now he'll have to sit down to shower no matter what (even in the bigger stick-builts he couldn't really stand up). We are used to living in small-ish apartments (450 sq. feet) so squishing down the elbow room won't be as traumatic for us as for people who have owned the mega-houses that are so prevalent these days (2000 sq. feet +). Right now we are liking the sound of the 19' Escape best, for a few reasons. We'd been thinking about the EggCamper, but in comparing the units decided the Escapes were better for full-timing. We also gave up on all the stick-builts, after looking at some on the weekend. They seem to be built of cardboard, very shoddy. At least in our price-range. We like the 80" queen bed in the 19' Escape. And the flexibility of any tow vehicle (if we got the 5th wheel we'd have to get a truck).
Lisa