Escape Issues - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It's gotta be leakproof. It's gotta tow like a dream. It's got to have a refrigerator that works in tropical climates. Two out of three ain't bad.

Plus, what Ron said.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Went from Big Fan to not so much to OK. I do believe Reace has integrity and does err on the side of the customer.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #23

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
The thing about Escape is that they are very good at addressing any systemic quality issues that arise. Issues that previous owners have encountered are unlikely to be issues for anyone purchasing a trailer at a later date. Sure, there will be always be new issues as things change, and there will be one off issues with individual trailers, but for the most part any issues you'll encounter will be new things that'll be hard to predict.

I'll tell you my guess though as to what might cause the most issues in the future: the awning. It's still rather new and untested, it uses a remote that will probably be hard to replace in 5 years, it puts a lot of stress on the upper wall, it doesn't like rain when fully extended, and several people have already had issues. If I were Reace I'd probably stick with it for now as in the oligopoly that is trailer components, I'm not aware of anything else as nice but minus the issues with the Dometic awning.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #24

Trailer: none
Thanks for all your responses so far! One of the concerns I have is that when issues do pop up, how do you handle problems related to warranty being the factory is so far away from most people? For good or bad, large manufacturers use a dealer network for repairs. How does a small, family-owned business like Escape handle claims and repairs? Do you have to haul the trailer up to BC to get things done?
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Our issues were taken care of by our local RV dealership and ETI handled everything (parts, cost etc.) in an extremely prompt and professional manner. I have heard too many horror stories about no help at all from other RV dealers as soon as you drive off the lot. Nothing is perfect, things happen, issues arise but from all that I have heard ETI is far above almost everyone in addressing issues.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
After 3 years, 35,000 kilometres and more than 100 nights of camping, we are still very satisfied with our Escape 19. Our only issue was a defective mattress, which was obvious on our first sleep. Reace arranged for a replacement to be delivered to our home within one week. Our only regret was ordering the 3 burner stove (bigger is better...not). Since we rarely cook inside, more counter space with a 2 burner turned 90 degrees would have been better.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We did the 2 burner stove and rotated it and glad we did but still in 16 months have only used it a couple of times.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
We did the 2 burner stove and rotated it and glad we did but still in 16 months have only used it a couple of times.
We like the three burner stove as the two burners diagonally across from one another are separated by a greater distance than the two burners in the two burner configuration. This allows me to use a pot and my 12" frypan at the same time. If you use a 10" fry pan or smaller it's not an issue.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
The thing about Escape is that they are very good at addressing any systemic quality issues that arise. Issues that previous owners have encountered are unlikely to be issues for anyone purchasing a trailer at a later date. Sure, there will be always be new issues as things change, and there will be one off issues with individual trailers, but for the most part any issues you'll encounter will be new things that'll be hard to predict.

I'll tell you my guess though as to what might cause the most issues in the future: the awning. It's still rather new and untested, it uses a remote that will probably be hard to replace in 5 years, it puts a lot of stress on the upper wall, it doesn't like rain when fully extended, and several people have already had issues. If I were Reace I'd probably stick with it for now as in the oligopoly that is trailer components, I'm not aware of anything else as nice but minus the issues with the Dometic awning.

Yes issues with the new awning and A four hour rain drizzle that was supposed to drain off the awning according to the manual. NOT. It warped our frame and took months to replace. Domestic refused to honor the warranty. Looked at our photos and said we had
Run into something. Photos of before and after at the exact same spot in the state park are proof that didn’t happen. Finally Reese contacted Dometic several times and they agreed to send replacements but we had to Pay a repair man 30O$ to attach it. We also made two trips of several hundred miles and two overnights days to get it finally fixed.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There are certain precautions that need to be taken with the newer case awnings. I see alot of benefits and I like the clean look, but I'm glad I have the old manual Carefree.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
It looks like Escape will be offering a choice of either the newer style of awning, which may be fine in good weather areas, or an option to go with the "classic" style, which works better for rainier climates.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #32

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yep, we've had problems with the awning, but not as bad as Quilting Lady had. I rarely use it as I'm afraid it won't retract properly as I had that problem right off the bat. I had to duct tape it closed for the drive home. Dirk and I fiddled with the adjustments when I got home but it still didn't get fixed. Fortunately we live close enough that I just drove up there to get it fixed. Turns out there was something else that needed adjusting on it, which Reece did. I have noticed it's not closing completely at the back end, so we'll need to fiddle with the adjustments some more, I guess.

Knock wood - haven't had any problems with the windows, other than Dirk busting one with a rock when he was mowing the lawn (he now does it when I take the trailer out; although the crows and raccoons completely destroyed the yard last year so there isn't much grass to mow anyway, just dirt now). In that situation, I scheduled an appt with ETI and they fixed it (for a fee, of course). The reason for visiting the factory did get a good laugh out of the customs agent.

Fortunately the water hose in the bathroom has been fixed - I was the 2nd one it burst on and the first to report it to this forum. Not a good situation and a bad attitude by a certain employee of the company didn't make matters any better. I'm still not happy about his condescending attitude towards me.

When Dirk wired in another usb port he discovered the wiring in that area wasn't done very well and something popped off. I forget exactly what it was, but he wasn't impressed.

I really wish they used a better step. I have to wrestle with that thing five ways to Sunday to use it (both putting it in and out). It's not a pretty picture with me bending over, wrestling with it and teaching little kiddies swear words (not that they're around anyway, but you get the idea).

The vent over the black tank doesn't work worth beans. It's more of a problem (stinky smell) on the 21 than the other sizes. Get one of these and that will help a lot:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish the switch for the external fridge fan was on the inside instead of in a panel that I have problems opening up. One of these years I hope Dirk will agree to redoing it so it's on the inside.

Overall, I've been happy with the trailer. It worked wonderfully on a recent 2 month, 6500 mile trip. I've added things to make it easier/better for me to use and I greatly enjoy using it. I love walking up to it at a campground and seeing it sitting there. I look at other trailers and motorhomes and don't even want to view them as I'm not interested in them at all (stick builts - looking forward to the Bandon fiberglass rally next week though!).

I can't say I'd have 4 of these though over time. The 21 fits our needs perfectly. And I don't have a problem refilling the propane tanks.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I really wish they used a better step. I have to wrestle with that thing five ways to Sunday to use it (both putting it in and out). It's not a pretty picture with me bending over, wrestling with it and teaching little kiddies swear words (not that they're around anyway, but you get the idea).
I had the same issue with our step. had to wrestle with it constantly. I believe some of them are just added correctly or maybe the step come off the assembly line not aligned. I ended up loosening the bolts and dremeling the holes larger to shift it slightly. Seems to have done the trick.. not perfect but definitely better than it was.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #34

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I had the same issue with our step. had to wrestle with it constantly. I believe some of them are just added correctly or maybe the step come off the assembly line not aligned. I ended up loosening the bolts and dremeling the holes larger to shift it slightly. Seems to have done the trick.. not perfect but definitely better than it was.

Whew, glad to know I'm not the only one. I'll mention this to Dirk since he's the only one in the household that can use the dremel.

On another note - anyone know why the paragraphs in my posts are so far apart? More like 1.5 or 2 carriage returns (to use an old typewriter term) and not the usual 1 return. I'm not typing it any differently and it looks fine at my end when I'm typing it. I can't find any options on fixing that.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
On another note - anyone know why the paragraphs in my posts are so far apart? More like 1.5 or 2 carriage returns (to use an old typewriter term) and not the usual 1 return. I'm not typing it any differently and it looks fine at my end when I'm typing it. I can't find any options on fixing that.
Oh heck, I thought that you did that deliberately. It makes the post so much easier to read.

My least favorite posts are ones that tell a life story in one long non-stop, no space post. Usually my eyes glaze over and I stop reading.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh heck, I thought that you did that deliberately. It makes the post so much easier to read.

My least favorite posts are ones that tell a life story in one long non-stop, no space post. Usually my eyes glaze over and I stop reading.

Ron
Me too. I said to myself, there's another post by considerate Laura, I better read it!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Do you press the Return key twice after each paragraph? Try once even though it may not look right for you.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think the double line spaces is something new in the software. It's happening over at FiberglassRV too. After I post, I look at my posting, edit it to remove the extra line spaces that I know I didn't put in....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
luckily, on the internets, there's no charge (yet) for extra space.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
no issues with my awning use it a lot in heavy rain I closed it half way and it drained better. My bathroom window doesn't close properly I'm going to call Escape about it. Otherwise my trailer is pretty perfect...steps work fine.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote