Escape meets Ollie - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 1,263
Olivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hey Iowa Dave, looks like there's an Ollie only half hour or so from you!
There's hundreds of Olivers in Iowa, probably thousands. My favorite is the row crop 77 for a work tractor and I am also very fond of the 550's as a utility rig. Had a nice one on one of the golf courses. Ohhh, you're talking about Oliver campers. Yup, North Liberty is where my daughter lives. I've been there twice this week. Maybe I'll see the white Oliver some day.
Dave
__________________

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater View Post
I replaced my coupler with a Bulldog A-frame coupler on my Bigfoot and, as I remember, it only added 3-4 inches in length. (Amazon, E-trailer etc. have them for about $50.)
The bulldog hitch Oliver uses is not 50.00 they use a 7000lb cast iron hitch . They can run a little over 300.00 .And they using one that telescopes out . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am struck by how far back the Oliver seems from the tow vehicle. Is that an illusion Myron or is there some kind of extension piece?
The stock Oliver tongue is long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Ross, picture was shot with a 20mm wide angle lens but doubt that made a significant difference. Looks like an extended stinger all right. Only Don would know.
When the Oliver Legacy was new, one of the noticeable features was that the coupler was mounted on the end of a steel tube which slides into the aluminum frame. This straight tongue extension could be extended (for more stability and less tongue weight) or retracted to be more compact (but still longer than a coupler mounted directly on the end of the A-frame). It looks in some photos like this is still the design, but I don't see a mention of it on the Oliver website.

In the photo of Don's Oliver, it looks like that straight tongue section might be fixed, and it has a cargo basket on top of it... entirely additional to the length that it would have with just a normal A-frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
When we checked out the Oliver , the reason is the hitch on the trailer is called a bull dog . It is a commercial hitch . The strongest hitch I ever saw . It is longer then our hitches . I think that is reason for being back so far . Pat
There are several styles of Bulldog coupler, but the "Collar-Lok" forged coupler is the unique one usually associated with the brand. An A-frame Bulldog Collar-Lok is a bit longer than other styles, but that's a small part of the length - at most several centimetres (a couple of inches).

The Bulldog Collar-Lok isn't any more "commercial" or higher-capacity than other designs, but it is relatively expensive and has a reputation of durability. I've only tried it on a trailer in on a dealer's lot - latching and unlatching but not actually putting it on a ball - and I can see how it is secure but I found it awkward to use. I have attached a clip from an eTrailer web page comparing the Collar-Lok (in A-frame like an Escape, not straight tongue like an Oliver) to the yoke style used by Escape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couplers.JPG (50.4 KB, 16 views)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The stock Oliver tongue is long.


When the Oliver Legacy was new, one of the noticeable features was that the coupler was mounted on the end of a steel tube which slides into the aluminum frame. This straight tongue extension could be extended (for more stability and less tongue weight) or retracted to be more compact (but still longer than a coupler mounted directly on the end of the A-frame). It looks in some photos like this is still the design, but I don't see a mention of it on the Oliver website.

In the photo of Don's Oliver, it looks like that straight tongue section might be fixed, and it has a cargo basket on top of it... entirely additional to the length that it would have with just a normal A-frame.


There are several styles of Bulldog coupler, but the "Collar-Lok" forged coupler is the unique one usually associated with the brand. An A-frame Bulldog Collar-Lok is a bit longer than other styles, but that's a small part of the length - at most several centimetres (a couple of inches).

The Bulldog Collar-Lok isn't any more "commercial" or higher-capacity than other designs, but it is relatively expensive and has a reputation of durability. I've only tried it on a trailer in on a dealer's lot - latching and unlatching but not actually putting it on a ball - and I can see how it is secure but I found it awkward to use. I have attached a clip from an eTrailer web page comparing the Collar-Lok (in A-frame like an Escape, not straight tongue like an Oliver) to the yoke style used by Escape.
If you like I have the latest information I can scan . It is commercial rated . Every item on their trailers are top notch . It still telescopes out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The bulldog hitch Oliver uses is not 50.00 they use a 7000lb cast iron hitch . They can run a little over 300.00 .And they using one that telescopes out . Pat
Most 2" Bulldog Collar-Lok models have the same 5000 pound capacity as every other brands; Oliver might be using a 7000-pound model, and the 2-5/16" size has a higher capacity... again like other brands. It is forged, not cast - the cast Bulldog couplers are more conventional in design; forged seems like a better idea to me in this application. It's worth about US$80 at eTrailer.

Pat posted while I was building my previous post, and we are referring to the same telescoping feature (which is part of the trailer frame, not a feature of the Bulldog coupler).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Most 2" Bulldog Collar-Lok models have the same 5000 pound capacity as every other brands; Oliver might be using a 7000-pound model, and the 2-5/16" size has a higher capacity... again like other brands. It is forged, not cast - the cast Bulldog couplers are more conventional in design; forged seems like a better idea to me in this application. It's worth about US$80 at eTrailer.

Pat posted while I was building my previous post, and we are referring to the same telescoping feature (which is part of the trailer frame, not a feature of the Bulldog coupler).
It is cast iron . That 's funny when you go to e-Trailer nothing for 80 . 200-300 + range . The hitch it self telescopes out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 1,847
Why did you need to replace the coupler?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
If you like I have the latest information I can scan . It is commercial rated . Every item on their trailers are top notch . It still telescopes out . Pat
Thanks, but that's okay - the brochures are available for download but I only looked at the web page content.
I don't know what "commercial rated" might mean - the only towing equipment standards are the VESC and SAE standards, which don't make a commercial versus recreational distinction.
Thanks for the confirmation on the telescoping feature.

Based on my experience, the yoke-type coupler is my favourite for most purposes and is as secure as any design... and that's what Escape has been using for quite a while. For other specific needs, the Lippert Quick-Bite would be a good way to allow back-in coupling like a fifth-wheel hitch, and either the Quick-Bite or the Bulldog Collar-Lok would probably be more tolerant of the continual force placed on the back of the coupler by an Andersen No-Sway WD system than others.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The stock Oliver tongue is long.


When the Oliver Legacy was new, one of the noticeable features was that the coupler was mounted on the end of a steel tube which slides into the aluminum frame. This straight tongue extension could be extended (for more stability and less tongue weight) or retracted to be more compact (but still longer than a coupler mounted directly on the end of the A-frame). It looks in some photos like this is still the design, but I don't see a mention of it on the Oliver website.

In the photo of Don's Oliver, it looks like that straight tongue section might be fixed, and it has a cargo basket on top of it... entirely additional to the length that it would have with just a normal A-frame.


There are several styles of Bulldog coupler, but the "Collar-Lok" forged coupler is the unique one usually associated with the brand. An A-frame Bulldog Collar-Lok is a bit longer than other styles, but that's a small part of the length - at most several centimetres (a couple of inches).

The Bulldog Collar-Lok isn't any more "commercial" or higher-capacity than other designs, but it is relatively expensive and has a reputation of durability. I've only tried it on a trailer in on a dealer's lot - latching and unlatching but not actually putting it on a ball - and I can see how it is secure but I found it awkward to use. I have attached a clip from an eTrailer web page comparing the Collar-Lok (in A-frame like an Escape, not straight tongue like an Oliver) to the yoke style used by Escape.
The picture you posted is not what I saw or the information in latest brochure . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Why did you need to replace the coupler?
Some of us are interested in the alternatives for couplers and have used various types, but has anyone actually replaced the coupler on their Escape? The Oliver trailers come with that Bulldog Collar-Lok from the factory.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.