Escape meets Ollie - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Escape meets Ollie

Mesa Verde’s Morefield campground has a ton of sites, mostly primitive, first-come first-serve. I think only 15 have full hook-ups so forget about that. There is a laundry, Wifi but no cell phone service.

I was there, leaving Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado last weekend, parked at the campground dump station doing the necessary, when what should pull up but (wow) a shiny, new 24.5 foot (my first-in-the-flesh) Oliver. It was Don, from Iowa, ex-boat owner, on his way to Utah and beyond. We chatted a little about our eggs. I got a nice tour. Highlights were a slide-out battery compartment containing four 6-volt batteries, a solid built slinky compartment on the rear bumper, and of course that wonderfully high end interior.

No question the Oliver is a rugged, solidly designed and built trailer. OK, I admit thinking on the outside my Escape looks better than the Oliver. To my mind, less clunky. But oh, that Oliver interior.
Attached Thumbnails
MesaV007.jpg   MesaV077.jpg   MesaV082.jpg  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
All a matter of taste. To me the Ollies look too sterile.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The insides always remind me of the inside of a refrigerator.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
That is one reason I chose the Escape...each to his own..some people prefer the sleek modern...I like warm and homey.

Though the new (to me) colors make it look less stark.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape meets Ollie

I think it's like architecture or interior decorating. All about taste. I'm more of a log cabin guy than a chrome, glass and steel guy. But, no doubt that the Oliver is top shelf. The 'airstream' of fiberglass trailers, even with Nest being recently bought by Thor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I loved the inside of the Oliver we saw. It was the king bed version which meant that we were seeing a huge lounge area (that then had to be converted to the bed) --- otherwise a small two-person dinette available. The lounge was beautiful and, did I mention, huge.

I liked the white fiberglass inside as there were very nice drawers and cabinets. Normally wouldn't like the fiberglass in most eggs.

Did not want the tall height it has, however, which necessities two steps and would mean that working on the roof is much more trouble than with an Escape.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 delivery Apr 2017
The Oliver seems very high end to me (that slide out battery compartment!), and to my eyes anyway has an attractive and superior interior. However, they are prohibitively expensive, at least to this regular joe. I'll be very happy with the Escape...
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oliver has some really nice features. I love the fact the furnace has ducted vents that run from front to back rather than one hot spot. There's a lot of bling (marine-grade stainless steel) appointments too. In fact owners of this brand refer to a lot of that bling as "jewelry." That doesn't appeal to me however.

A number of Casita owners have modified the battery compartment to include a sliding tray for the battery. So, you don't need to buy a $45,000+ trailer to have that

I'd only like the "granite" countertop if I could get an under-mount sink.

Actually the more I think of a comparison to what I have, the better I like Ten Forward
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
The interior of the Oliver reminded me of a surgical room at a hospital. I visited th Oliver factory, but chose to buy sn Escape instead. Personal choice.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I loved the inside of the Oliver we saw. It was the king bed version which meant that we were seeing a huge lounge area (that then had to be converted to the bed) --- otherwise a small two-person dinette available. The lounge was beautiful and, did I mention, huge.

I liked the white fiberglass inside as there were very nice drawers and cabinets. Normally wouldn't like the fiberglass in most eggs.

Did not want the tall height it has, however, which necessities two steps and would mean that working on the roof is much more trouble than with an Escape.
We also loved the interior of the Oliver we recently sat in . What we can't forget is how quiet and the nice the temperature inside with ,door open . It was hot outside . The body is solid , you can even get on your roof . The closet and bath . The latches ,
The frame , hitch , etc everywhere you look quality . The one we saw was number 2 . The couple didn't do much maintence on exterior and we couldn't believe how nice trailer still looked . Sitting outside in California UV's . There is a reason why the price is high . We like our trailer but if we could ..... We have looked at Scamps , Casita' too . There is a market for everyone . At least we have choices . I would not be happy if there was just one trailer I had to pick from . Each one in my experience , all RV's have good and bad and we have had many . Not one is perfect . The Oliver can stand on it's own . Let's hope we always have choices . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
the fridge analogy is funny....if Ollie would limit their use of mirrored surfaces they might be a bit warmer...something like Casita cabinet doors....do prefer the easy cleaning of the fiberglass surfaces and their well engineered interior structure versus the sticks,glue, staples, and 1/8" thin wood walls of the Escape (unless you pay extra $$$ to make them somewhat solid).
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Different strokes for different folks. In our case, we really liked the Oliver, but the floor plan of the one we saw was identical to our 2014 Spirit Deluxe Casita. Escape offered us the floor plan we liked at a much lower cost.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Myron, What were they pulling their Ollie with? From just a glimpse of it in the middle photo at the dumping station, it looks like a little hatchback SUV, and that can't be. So, do you recall what their tow vehicle was? Just curious....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #14

Myron, one more thing. The storage box on the tongue of your 19' looks different to me. Is it an ETI factory box? Or is that made by a third party and just happened to fit? Looks good. Just curious. Dale
Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
He may have mentioned what his tow is but just cannot remember and I never looked at it. This picture is the best I can do.

That storage box is my $50 home built. Documented somewhere on my "A few modifications to my 19" thread.
Attached Thumbnails
MesaV079A.jpg  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
He may have mentioned what his tow is but just cannot remember and I never looked at it. This picture is the best I can do.

That storage box is my $50 home built. Documented somewhere on my "A few modifications to my 19" thread.
Looks like a VW Toureg which could have a tow capacity of 7,700 pounds if I recall depending how it is configured.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
.... Actually the more I think of a comparison to what I have, the better I like Ten Forward
Donna D, You're good at identifying stuff. Can you tell what make/model the white tow vehicle is pulling the Oliver in Myron's middle photo? It appears to be a rather small'ish SUV - hardly big enough to be pulling a heavy camper like an Oliver. Maybe there is a mid-sized SUV towing superstar out there that we don't know about. Aain, just curious.... Dale
Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape meets Ollie

Tim's right. Here's a photo of a VW Touareg. Looks to be the same vehicle.

I guess if you're gonna go first class on the trailer, might as well do the same for the tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Dale, I think Robert has it right.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Looks like a VW Toureg which could have a tow capacity of 7,700 pounds if I recall depending how it is configured.
Thanks Tim. I was in the middle of typing my follow-up question to Donna when you posted this. It does look like a Toureg. Haven't had a VW since the '71 Super Beetle I had in grad school (loved that little bug). Maybe we need to locate a VW dealer and take a look. They could probably use the business these days. I hope they are playing by the rules now.