Escape new features - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The 19' black tank changed from 12 to 19 gallons a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if the gallons given in ETI specs are Imperial?

I was just looking at FBG RV site where a guy filled his tank gallon by gallon to check the specs and they did not check out on his SOB. The company sounded indifferent to the fact that the capacity is a lot less than stated, to us down here anyway!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #82

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Here's one from before the foam.
Attached Thumbnails
004.JPG  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here's one from before the foam.
Thanks again
That confirms:
  • straight (not drop) axle beams; and,
  • springs mounted under the beams
in this case.

Also, just beyond the visible far-side U-bolt on each axle you can see (particularly on the axle to the left, which looks like the leading axle) that there are spring seats (or "perches") welded to the axle on both the bottom and the top, so the spring position (and thus height) can be changed without any welding work or buying more parts (except U-bolts, which should be replaced each time). This must be specifically ordered (presumably at extra cost), so spring over/under conversion certainly appears to be the main height adjustment method.

Back to Jim's question: this is a really easy change (to raise the trailer over 4") for any shop - nothing specific to ETI.

And, judging from the rocker position, Bob's trailer is sitting a little nose-up, or on somewhat uneven ground.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #84

[QUOTE=Floating Cloud;71256]The 19' black tank changed from 12 to 19 gallons a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if the gallons given in ETI specs are in Imperial gallons?

Want to correct myself with no edit now. 19's built in the earlier years have a black tank of 14 gallons, now 19.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I was just looking at FBG RV site where a guy filled his tank gallon by gallon to check the specs and they did not check out on his SOB.
In that thread (assuming I've been reading the same one), the guy who did this check used a flexible water carrier, so he was probably off by quite a bit. There was also some Imperial/US gallon confusion.

My motorhome has the capacity of the water tank moulded right into the side of the tank - in litres, US gallons, and imperial gallons. The waste tanks might, too, but just not in a place I can see. The fresh and grey tanks on an Escape are (unless they have been covered in foam) quite accessible - has anyone just looked for capacity markings? It might settle the US/imperial question, as well as confirming a size for the specific year and model examined.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The 19' black tank changed from 12 to 19 gallons a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if the gallons given in ETI specs are Imperial?

I was just looking at FBG RV site where a guy filled his tank gallon by gallon to check the specs and they did not check out on his SOB. The company sounded indifferent to the fact that the capacity is a lot less than stated, to us down here anyway!
Well if they were Imperial gallons, I can't see that causing the person to complain about capacity. That would mean the 19 gallon tank is actually around 23 US gallons, so more capacity than expected -- not less.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #87
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Not Imperial gallons; I asked Tammy when I picked up the 21.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well if they were Imperial gallons, I can't see that causing the person to complain about capacity. That would mean the 19 gallon tank is actually around 23 US gallons, so more capacity than expected -- not less.
The thread to which we were referring is about the grey tank in an "SOB" ("Some Other Brand") trailer. The owner roughly measured 18 US gallons but the advertised capacity was 26 gallons so he was not happy. He assumed the advertised capacity was 26 US gallons, but he would be even less happy if he thought it had been advertised as 26 imperial gallons.

The imperial/US confusion in that case is that a tank manufacturer's spec of 21 US gallons was likely misinterpreted by the trailer manufacturer as 21 imperial gallons, causing them incorrectly claim a 26 US gallon capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Thanks.
I think the point, as far as Escapes are concerned, is that potential buyers and current owners would understand the capacity better if it were clearly and correctly stated - "gallons" without saying imperial or US is unclear. That's why I have suggested reading any markings on the Escape tanks, and why I think the ETI specs should be published in litres and (explicitly) US gallons... instead of individually answering this question for everyone who contact ETI, and having other people confused.

Another approach - used to figure out the SOB trailer's issue - is to measure the tanks. Since ETI appears to use relatively simple rectangular shapes of tanks (other than some slope on the bottom, especially the waste tanks), if anyone who is curious about their tanks wants to slide underneath with a tape measure to get dimensions (length, width, height) I would be happy to calculate the volume.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
How do Canadians usually state this? In liters? Or maybe I should ask "litres."
You mean Escape is using our gallon?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #90

Quote:
How do Canadians usually state this? In liters? Or maybe I should ask "litres."
Nothing is measured in gallons in Canada anymore (a big jug of milk is 4 litres), and I'm not at all sure that the average person would recognize the size of a gallon (except that paint cans are commonly called a "gallon" size, even when they're not quite that); similarly, all odometers and road signs have been in kilometres for longer than the average Canadian has been alive... but it has been traditional to express fuel economy in miles per gallon, and U.S. advertising and other media continue to show "MPG" numbers, so many Canadians discuss fuel economy in MPG. Unfortunately, due the difference in gallons, lots of them are using the wrong numbers (by 20%).

So, how would a typical Canadian express the size of a tank? Who knows - the average person doesn't measure volumes. Seriously... how many people can look at a tank and guess its volume? How many know how many litres or gallons or gallons of water they use in a day?

Quote:
You mean Escape is using our gallon?
The RV industry in North America is massively dominated by US products - largely from Indiana. Promotional material is made for the US market, and of course expresses sizes in US gallons (without designating "US", because that is reasonably assumed in the United States). It seems that in RV stuff the US gallon numbers are used here, without conversion or clarification. If someone were to convert for publication in Canada, it would make much more sense to convert to litres than to imperial gallons.

Where any consumer product in North America has a size in both litres and gallons, the gallons are typically US gallons: litres for Canada, US gallons for the US. Really funny is when the occasional manufacturer uses litres (and kilograms, metres, etc) in the french instructions for a product (the french is only included to satisfy Canadian requirements), and gallons (and pounds, inches, etc) in the english instructions. Hey, english-speaking Canadians use metric, too!

I think ETI is just publishing the numbers as listed in the specs from a US tank manufacturer, or even a Canadian manufacturer who prepares promotional material for the larger US market.