Escape new features - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Escape new features

The 19' photos on ETI do not have three large red lights at top in back but the 21' does. What is standard now? Those are not brake lights, are they?

Is ETI now putting batteries inside on 19's and 21's as standard? No longer in the box?

What is standard of late?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
The 19' photos on ETI do not have three large red lights at top in back but the 21' does. What is standard now? Those are not brake lights, are they?

Is ETI now putting batteries inside on 19's and 21's as standard? No longer in the box?

I was just thinking today that it would be interesting to start a list of changes each model has gone through each year.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Not sure what is standard on the 19, but the lights on the top of the 21 seem to function identically to the lights below -- that is, they are brake lights, tail lights, and turn signals.

On the 21, as far as I know, there is no choice where the batteries go if you get dual 6 volt. they are under the dinette seat on the passenger side.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
ETI's photos of the 19' show the lighting which is legally required for vehicle over 2m/80" wide: a three-light "wide vehicle identification" group in the middle, and clearance lights on each side (at the top, so they are also height clearance lights, but that's not legally required.

The 21' photos show three large bars across the top. The middle one is the same three-light identification group (but in one housing). The lamps on each side need only work as clearance lights (so, on with the tail lights), but they can do more and apparently they are wired for combined stop/turn as well. There are no separate "brake" (stop) lamps on an Escape, because it is not wired for separate turn and stop circuits (the normal RV-style tug-trailer connection does not have separate contacts for these functions).

I like the stop/turn functions up top - especially with the regular tail lamps being so low - but I've lost track of what is standard on what model.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I was just thinking today that it would be interesting to start a list of changes each model has gone through each year.
I think that would be useful for those buying used, and for people troubleshooting for modifying their own trailer or helping others with theirs. It could be a challenge, with the number of models and years now involved.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
21 also has the 12V battery under the passenger side dinette seat.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

Leon, that is good to know about the lights, that they have decided to make standard ones at the top to take care of the lights-unseen problem. I wonder if the same is now on the 15' and all models.

Charlie, thanks for the info as the batteries going inside is a change from the 19's in the box and it seems new owners of 19's are saying theirs are inside also. These are the same kind of batteries, I take it? So water needs to be added?

Mud flaps, valances and ceiling lights have been installed for a while now and I was wondering what else might be new.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Leon, that is good to know about the lights, that they have decided to make standard ones at the top to take care of the lights-unseen problem. I wonder if the same is now on the 15' and all models.
The 15' and 17' (and the no-longer-produced 13' and original 5.0) are not quite wide enough to required the wide-vehicle identification or clearance lights, so it isn't just a matter of putting in full stop/turn/tail lamps instead of just clearance lights.

The 15' and 17' option lists both include "Additional Set LED Brake Lights (Horizontal)" (for $95), so it looks like the lights are not standard.

Quote:
These are the same kind of batteries, I take it? So water needs to be added?
I've never seen in the options list or otherwise heard of valve-regulated ("sealed") batteries such as AGM or gel available from ETI... but that doesn't mean a lot!
Non-sealed or "flooded" batteries eventually need water added if used enough.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Yup, batteries need a drink now and then, but simple to get at when under the dinette.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #10

Are they vented with a hose of sorts to the exterior?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

The batteries in the 19 are still on the tongue or in the storage box if added.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The batteries in the 19 are still on the tongue or in the storage box if added.
Yes 19' the batteries are on the tongue (or in the box).
I asked Reace if I could get mine moved inside the trailer and he indicated that the 19 had a light tongue weight and the batteries were needed on the tongue to add some weight there.

I also know on my 19 the second set of tail lights at the higher level were an option which we added, so the picture of the 21 may just be one that includes this option.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Yes, the batteries on the 21's are installed under the passenger side dinette bench in a battery box that is vented outside.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think that would be useful for those buying used, and for people troubleshooting for modifying their own trailer or helping others with theirs. It could be a challenge, with the number of models and years now involved.
Yes it would be a lot of work - the only downside of Reace constantly improving the trailers is keeping track of all those changes/improvements.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Yes, in a closed box (removable top) and vented with about a 2 inch OD plastic flex hose.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Are there any changes to those,painstaking wheel bearings.Having to regrease,yearly is a pain.I have ,on my boat an exposed grease nipple on the ext.of the hub.I heard that ETI,was going to this or similar .But no pictures...
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Commercial Member

I think ETI charged less than $100 to install 4 EZ-Lube hubs on my 21.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

I'm still waiting for a good explanation of why trailer bearing need to be greased and adjusted so often. I can understand with boat trailers that go into the water but not RV ones. If they can make wheel bearings in cars last as long as they now do, why are trailers decades behind?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post

I also know on my 19 the second set of tail lights at the higher level were an option which we added, so the picture of the 21 may just be one that includes this option.
The upper lights on the 21 are standard. Here's a post about the lights. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ts-3097-2.html The pic in #6 shows the additional lights for the 19. Personally, if I were carrying bikes on the 19, I would order this option. The bikes pretty much cover the lower tail lights. We installed similar lights on our Casita because of this.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I'm still waiting for a good explanation of why trailer bearing need to be greased and adjusted so often. I can understand with boat trailers that go into the water but not RV ones. If they can make wheel bearings in cars last as long as they now do, why are trailers decades behind?
Butt covering by axle/bearing manufacturers?

I have done mine once in 6 years (and that was 3 years ago, and they looked great, could have likely gone a lot longer), and do plan on doing them either right away here, or next spring. If I was putting on lots of miles, I would do them more often.

I have (almost) once a year checked the tightness of the king nut, and only at the beginning of the second year owning it did I tighten two of them one flat.

I AM NOT suggesting others follow my lead at all, but instead do what they feel comfortable with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote