Escape new features - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
CA lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 15' and 17' (and the no-longer-produced 13' and original 5.0) are not quite wide enough to required the wide-vehicle identification or clearance lights, so it isn't just a matter of putting in full stop/turn/tail lamps instead of just clearance lights.
Calif. V.C. §25100 says 80 inches and over, so the Escape 15 and 17, at 80 inches width, need the width ID lights.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
Escape Changes
We just finalized the build sheet for our '19' a few weeks ago. The price dropped $100 because the EZ Lube Axles are now a standard feature.

Jack
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
[QUOTE=Ian G;71060]Yes 19' the batteries are on the tongue (or in the box).
I asked Reace if I could get mine moved inside the trailer and he indicated that the 19 had a light tongue weight and the batteries were needed on the tongue to add some weight there.

I figured this is why Reace has the batteries inside on the 21' with extra length forward of axles. The problem with light tongue weight on the 19' led to the box, I understand, but the 21' has no such problem apparently, and perhaps the opposite would more likely be the case with it. Looking at what is behind the axles --- not much. Where is the 21' fresh water?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Yes, in a closed box (removable top) and vented with about a 2 inch OD plastic flex hose.
Glad to hear venting is to exterior. Don't like the whole venting problem. Some trailers actually vent to the interior.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Yes it would be a lot of work - the only downside of Reace constantly improving the trailers is keeping track of all those changes/improvements.
Yes, not possible to keep track. Wonder if Reace and Tammy even know! For instance, which month and year did black tank change on the 19'. They need to keep a list of such changes and wonder if they do.

Another question, I see features include scissor jacks but I do not know of any on 19's. Do the 21's have scissor jacks as stated on ETI site?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA

Scissor Jacks

Light Trailer Stabilizer

the 5.0TA looks like the latter.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Another question, I see features include scissor jacks but I do not know of any on 19's. Do the 21's have scissor jacks as stated on ETI site?
On my 19' I specifically asked Reace if they could install the scissor jacks, he flatly refused saying that the jacks could actually lift the trailer and the frame was not designed to carry the load at the rear where these jacks would be installed. Damage to frame and/or body could result.
I have no idea if this is the case on the 21'
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Our 5.0 has the former (scissor jack stabilizers) that came as part of the high lift option.

When we first got the 5.0 (may 2010) I asked Reace about the EZ lube hubs and he didn't recommend them at the time. Felt that they would only grease the outer bearing. How times have changed. I know you have to be careful when using them. You can build up tremendous hydraulic pressure with a grease gun (John Deer Caterpillars and other tracked units use a grease gun to adjust track tension) and push the seal off the back and unseat the EZ lube fitting.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I had scissors jacks on my 2010 Escape 19, I believe it was a fluke. The story went that Escape received a batch of scissors by mistake from a supplier and choose to use them. After having both I can say I believe the scissors kept the 19 more stable and reduced rocking. My 21 has to have the wheel chocks that clamp between the tires to keep me from getting seasick.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
On my 19' I specifically asked Reace if they could install the scissor jacks, he flatly refused saying that the jacks could actually lift the trailer and the frame was not designed to carry the load at the rear where these jacks would be installed. Damage to frame and/or body could result.
I have no idea if this is the case on the 21'
Yes, I am still wondering why the ETI info says scissor.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I had scissors jacks on my 2010 Escape 19, I believe it was a fluke. The story went that Escape received a batch of scissors by mistake from a supplier and choose to use them. After having both I can say I believe the scissors kept the 19 more stable and reduced rocking. My 21 has to have the wheel chocks that clamp between the tires to keep me from getting seasick.
I had heard about them having some at one time. They are stated in the info on the trailers though as if primarily or still using them.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Yes 19' the batteries are on the tongue (or in the box).
I asked Reace if I could get mine moved inside the trailer and he indicated that the 19 had a light tongue weight and the batteries were needed on the tongue to add some weight there.

I also know on my 19 the second set of tail lights at the higher level were an option which we added, so the picture of the 21 may just be one that includes this option.
Escape used to allow batteries to be installed under the front dinette in the 19' but no longer. Apparently it is to keep the tongue weight up, however, my calculations suggest that with two 62 lb batteries, moving the batteries from outside in the front storage box to inside under the dinette only results in a reduction in tongue weight of about 20 to 25 lbs max. That is not terribly significant given the likelihood that you will put some extra "stuff" in the front storage box if the space is not taken up by batteries. In any case, I am quite happy having my batteries under the front dinette, which really opens up the space in the front box storage for other things besides batteries.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
Are there any changes to those,painstaking wheel bearings.Having to regrease,yearly is a pain.I have ,on my boat an exposed grease nipple on the ext.of the hub.I heard that ETI,was going to this or similar ...
As already explained, ETI does offer the boat-trailer lube system; Dexter's version is E-Z Lube. However, since the Escape is not a boat trailer there is no need for frequent grease changes so I see no benefit.

The required service, according to the axle manufacturer, is inspection and re-greasing. This requires disassembly of the bearings, whether or not you have the E-Z Lube.

In addition to choosing a more reasonable inspection/repacking interval (such as the two-year plan mentioned earlier), there is the option of sealed bearings. In the Dexter product line this is Nev-R-Lube; it is available from Dexter in the axle size range used by Escape, but only with the 6-on-6.5" (or "655") bolt pattern. I have never seen this offered as an option by ETI.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #34

I have the idea that the general recommendation is to re-grease annually but I have seen it mentioned that that is just not necessary. We are doing ours every spring partly because we have taken the Escape many thousands of miles, far more than most people use theirs.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Calif. V.C. §25100 says 80 inches and over, so the Escape 15 and 17, at 80 inches width, need the width ID lights.
I don't think the narrower Escapes are precisely 80" wide. The choice of this width is not a coincidence - it has traditionally been the width of small travel trailers because it just barely avoids the need for wide-vehicle lighting.

Although local jurisdictions (states and provinces) refer to the need for this lighting, it is standardized across North America as FMVSS/CMVSS 108; all Escapes are compliant with these requirements. The actual value in FMVSS 108 for the allowed overall width before requiring the extra lights appears to be 2032 millimetres; yes, that is exactly 80".
Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #36

And another question as to the high lift situation. Which 19's or do all have high lift? Thought it became standard at some time. Are 21's high lift?
Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
When we first got the 5.0 (may 2010) I asked Reace about the EZ lube hubs and he didn't recommend them at the time. Felt that they would only grease the outer bearing. How times have changed.
I assume that Reace then learned how E-Z Lube works: the grease flow is through both bearings, so it is impossible to do only one bearing with this system... but all you're doing is changing grease. I assume that endorsement by ETI comes with an expectation that the system will be used properly. I can only guess that Reace offers E-Z Lube now because people want it, not because there is any need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
I know you have to be careful when using them. You can build up tremendous hydraulic pressure with a grease gun (John Deer Caterpillars and other tracked units use a grease gun to adjust track tension) and push the seal off the back and unseat the EZ lube fitting.
Dexter has instructions and a video about using E-Z Lube. Done incorrectly, this is certainly a recipe for problems; even done correctly, there is some danger of blowing out the rear seal.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our 21 came with scissors jacks couple of months ago. I had them add footpads for $25.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #39

That's interesting. The 21' could be different in more ways than we know.
I suppose the foot pads are the newer square ones as I hear round do not fit.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Although local jurisdictions (states and provinces) refer to the need for this lighting, it is standardized across North America as FMVSS/CMVSS 108; all Escapes are compliant with these requirements. The actual value in FMVSS 108 for the allowed overall width before requiring the extra lights appears to be 2032 millimetres; yes, that is exactly 80".
Thanks, Brian, for the info. I think what this means for me is: when I bring my 17 home next summer, and I see that picky highway patrol guy around, I'll turn on the MAXXFAN full blast, leave the door shut, and the partial vacuum will pull in the trailer sides to 2031 mm.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote