Escape Owners Facebook Page - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
LarryandLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Posts: 556
I read the first three pages of this thread, but now want to post. I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but the Forum can be searched for previous topics Facebook can't. In my view trying to do both (FB and Forum) would be a huge loss. On the Forum we get both technical information and relational contact. I think trying to do both FB and Forum would be a very bad idea.
__________________

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My only concern with posting on a Facebook page, is that I could not hide under the veil of a forum username.......oh wait!

I do get that Jim is completely open about identity (and even home address) in this forum, and would presumably be the same in Facebook...

but that's not the Facebook standard. Yes, lots of people (probably most) use their full names and some post every bit of information about their life, but it's pretty common to use only partial names... just like the recommended practice for FiberglassRV when I created my account (first name and something individual other than surname). It's not really any different from these forums. There's a Facebook account for "God"... I don't think it's actually used by a deity.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:49 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 9,856
My name appeared under the photos I took for the newspaper for 40 years. If you Google it, you get 20,000 hits, mostly because of my photo credit.
In those 40 years, I got one letter from an irate reader because I shot a picture of a deer grazing under a ski-lift. It was a two page rant, that I still don't understand.
I'm not going to post that I'm not home, but I'm not concerned that you have my email address either. gbaglo@shaw.ca
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tumwater, Washington
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I think that this is very important for folks to consider.
Agree! This Forum is an invaluable technical resource for me and I suspect, all others. I would be reluctant to dilute its resources in any fashion whatsoever. Facebook may have its value, but as the saying goes, "why fix what ain't broke?"
__________________
Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 10,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I do get that Jim is completely open about identity (and even home address) in this forum, and would presumably be the same in Facebook...

but that's not the Facebook standard. Yes, lots of people (probably most) use their full names and some post every bit of information about their life, but it's pretty common to use only partial names... just like the recommended practice for FiberglassRV when I created my account (first name and something individual other than surname). It's not really any different from these forums. There's a Facebook account for "God"... I don't think it's actually used by a deity.
Actually, all but one of my friends on Facebook go by their real names, and she says she does that because she is a high school teacher. Maybe it is because my family, and friends I prefer to socialize with, are ones comfortable with who they are, I dunno. I do see some obvious fake names, but bet they are like 1:50 at the most, at least in the circles I hang out in. And to be honest, when I see something posted by those with obvious pseudonyms I do not usually even bother to read, let alone take seriously at all.

I really don't understand why people want to hide behind usernames. Heck, many won't even reveal their first name. Of course, this is their right, I just don't get it. Though for some it is just a "handle" and they are not worried about using letting their real names be known too. The same with addresses, as all you have to do is do a Google search and come up with it anyway.

What are people hiding from? Another thing I don't understand. There is nothing I have posted on any social media, be it forums or Facebook, that I care less if anyone reads. It is all truths, with nothing too personal revealed. I am not going to put my bank account and access code on here, sorry.

One thing Facebook offers is closed pages. I belong to a couple of these. One is a group of friends who all started out with a common interest in photography 11 years ago on a Canon forum, and have ended up becoming a great little social group. Most of us met online, but have since had many meetups in person. In there we post more personal stuff, again nothing too revealing, most of it just friendly banter, sharing of stuff, but it is also a place to go and rant about something that everyone you know does not need, or a place to go for comfort for reasons like the lost of a close friend or family member. I say this, not as a reason for use by forum members here, but more just to point out another useful use of Facebook.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Beaumont, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...I really don't understand why people want to hide behind usernames. Heck, many won't even reveal their first name. Of course, this is their right, I just don't get it. Though for some it is just a "handle" and they are not worried about using letting their real names be known too. The same with addresses, as all you have to do is do a Google search and come up with it anyway.

What are people hiding from? Another thing I don't understand. There is nothing I have posted on any social media, be it forums or Facebook, that I care less if anyone reads. It is all truths, with nothing too personal revealed. I am not going to put my bank account and access code on here, sorry. ...
I understand your viewpoint, Jim, and agree with it. From previous conversations, however, I believe that you have not always used your real name on all of the forums you frequent, but neither have I.

When I first started frequenting forums, I was a bit wary of posting any personal information, as I did not really know whether it could or would be used against me in some manner. So I adopted the username "ice-breaker" (which was an obscure reference to a long ago canoe trip). Since that time I have been active on quite a few forums and gotten somewhat more comfortable with the "forum" atmosphere, and I am not so worried about using my real name. For convenience, almost every forum I have joined, I have continued to use the same "ice-breaker" username. But if anyone is really interested, they are welcome to call me Dave or even Dave W.

I am a FB member, under my real name and am fairly active on it, but mostly for keeping contact with family and friends. I don't think that I would use it as a replacement for this or any other forum, as the format of FB doesn't really appeal to me for these types of discussions. I would suggest that if someone wants to start an Escape FB page, they should do so. If a large number of people want to use it, they will do so. If people are not interested (which I believe is the case), it will simply not get used and die off. Pretty simple.
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One thing Facebook offers is closed pages. I belong to a couple of these. One is a group of friends who all started out with a common interest in photography 11 years ago on a Canon forum, and have ended up becoming a great little social group. Most of us met online, but have since had many meetups in person. In there we post more personal stuff, again nothing too revealing, most of it just friendly banter, sharing of stuff, but it is also a place to go and rant about something that everyone you know does not need, or a place to go for comfort for reasons like the lost of a close friend or family member. I say this, not as a reason for use by forum members here, but more just to point out another useful use of Facebook.
A closed FB page would certainly be the way to go. I envision the Escape Forum as the technical information side and FB as the social side. Also, keep in mind that no one will be forced to join...only those that enjoy using FB as a social network tool.
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #58
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,229
Some new Escape owners may feel more comfortable using Facebook (unless they came here first). For instance, they know how to upload photos. Some find uploading photos here on the forum nearly impossible... There could always be a link in the masthead like the one on ETI that could lead people to this forum. Either way, not all people participate in social media of any kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Masthead.JPG (32.9 KB, 1 views)
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Kountrykamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Middle, Tennessee
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Posts: 1,360
I like the idea. Facebook is just another resource.

I started 2 Escape pages a few years back but never promoted them because I'm not a Facebook pro.
__________________
Tom
Kountrykamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 10,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I understand your viewpoint, Jim, and agree with it. From previous conversations, however, I believe that you have not always used your real name on all of the forums you frequent, but neither have I.
This is true, but I always have my first name in the signature line (as you do too), and am not at all hesitant to give my surname if asked either. I really feel uncomfortable calling people on forums by their username, it just seems weird. The same goes for those calling me by my username.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Some new Escape owners may feel more comfortable using Facebook (unless they came here first). For instance, they know how to upload photos. Some find uploading photos here on the forum nearly impossible... There could always be a link in the masthead like the one on ETI that could lead people to this forum. Either way, not all people participate in social media of any kind.
Very true, there is most likely a comfort level there. I have to wonder if many of the people that contact me via PM, who are not comfortable with posting in a thread here, might be more inclined to share on Facebook. I guess they are just as likely to get corrected, or have someone knock their ideas there though.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.