Escape Quality - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #61

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I am happy for you. Did you enjoy doing the mods to your refer that should have been done during installation at the factory as specified by the Dometic installation manual ? As I am sure you know from reading previous threads, Reace stated that installing the baffle did not work. I was hoping that ETI would resolve the 4.3 refer issue as they have may with the 6.8 refer. We have not experienced costumer satisfaction with the 4.3 refer, as Reace stated that he would "diligently" pursue.
"Enjoy" isn't the first word that comes to my mind, but I sure do take great satisfaction in solving a problem (albeit, with a lot of help from Reace and the folks here). Saying, "...should have been done (sic)..." is an expression of opinion, not fact. I don't begrudge you your opinions, but the fact of the matter appears to be that Reace has had a good deal (maybe even a majority) of success with his current install configurations (hence, the disparity in performance between the hundreds of units involved). I believe all of the mods I made contributed to the ultimate improvement and can't single out just one.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
I can send u some.
ken
Whatever Ken's offer is, I will see it and send you tenfold the amount.

I do have about 60 gallons of it right now that I desperately need to dispose of. Fortunately I can put it in the City compost bins.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
"Enjoy" isn't the first word that comes to my mind, but I sure do take great satisfaction in solving a problem (albeit, with a lot of help from Reace and the folks here). Saying, "...should have been done (sic)..." is an expression of opinion, not fact. I don't begrudge you your opinions, but the fact of the matter appears to be that Reace has had a good deal (maybe even a majority) of success with his current install configurations (hence, the disparity in performance between the hundreds of units involved). I believe all of the mods I made contributed to the ultimate improvement and can't single out just one.

Not all owners of the 4.3 refer are capable of removing the frig to do modifications and determine if they do work. The problem with the frig is inadequate mechanical cooling capacity. Most of us have removed the freezer compartment to assist the cooling of the frig box. The heat is absorbed in the freezer before the frig box.
The installation manual for the 4.3 Dometic refer recommends insulation and "specifies" the close clearance at the back of the refer during installation to create a thermal chimney.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Hey Ross,
Was this showing when you originally got the trailer or has it become visible as the trailer aged even though it's only a year now? Definitely, something that needs to be resolved along with the divot on your roof in the other post. I agree with the surveyor that nothing appears structural, so the most difficult part of both repairs will be matching the gel coat. Your trailer should still be under warranty and I would think ETI should take care of these especially if you could schedule it back at the factory. Keep us posted on the response.
The surveyor said it was there from the beginning, although from the research I've done it can become more pronounced over time. The fiberglass continues to cure for up to six months I believe, which is why in some threads it is said to not wax your trailer until then.

The surveyor said I might find a good detailer to buff that spot- that is the most prominent area however it goes all the way around the door. You can feel it- sort of a rippling feeling. Looking straight on you don't notice it. The risk to buffing is the gel coat likely is thin in that area. The problem with sanding it down and re-applying gel coat is that it can yellow over time.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
... The problem with the frig is inadequate mechanical cooling capacity. ...
... The installation manual for the 4.3 Dometic refer recommends insulation and "specifies" the close clearance at the back of the refer during installation to create a thermal chimney. ...
I don't think that the fridge's are inadequate. If that was the case, none of them would work but clearly the majority apparently are working within specs with the current, modified ETI installation. As to Dometic specifying how it should be installed, you are correct. But ETI has had much (but not total) success with their modification. Reace tested the recommended installation in one of his units (which I went ahead and incorporated into my 19' anyway) and it didn't improve performance. Subsequently, it's reasonable to conclude that was not the weak link that contributed to poor performance.

There is no doubt that these fridges are a mystery to all concerned, but I lay the problem on Dometic's doorstep, not ETIs. And as we all know, Dometic has made several concessions to ETI and its customers. That, to me, is a tacit acknowledgement of some degree of responsibility.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I agree, Rich. The other factor is that the fridges are simply not designed for warmer climates. As to why Dometic continues to sell them in North America, and refuses to sell their Tropical rated/higher performing fridges here, remains a mystery. I've seen where a "proper" installation helps somewhat with their performance, but in many ways, it's like trying to get blood out of a turnip. An SN rated fridge will always be marginal or barely adequate at cooling, unless the ambient temperature is cool to begin with.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I just want to make sure Donna knows that the above disparaging remarks about Scamp trailers we're NOT made by me. (This time [emoji12]). I'm already too deep on her sh&t list.
I've now owned my Scamp for 14 years, no one has to tell me about the build quality . But even that doesn't make any difference. The Scamp took me places I had never gone before and was able to add to my memory bank. When I purchased my Scamp, it was what I could afford and it 100% fit the bill at the time.

No one is on my THIT list either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Whatever Ken's offer is, I will see it and send you tenfold the amount.

I do have about 60 gallons of it right now that I desperately need to dispose of. Fortunately I can put it in the City compost bins.
You save sawdust, do you? Mulch away from the house.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #69

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
You save sawdust, do you? Mulch away from the house.
Hey Jim - i will take a gallon or two of that sawdust, rebag it and sell it to those escapees who didnt get any when they picked up their trailer.
ken - lol
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Oooo. An entrepreneur in our midst.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I just got back after being gone a little shy of four weeks on a working trip using the trailer for my living quarters, so I guess it had a good shake down cruise. I would have to say that the new 21 exceeded my expectations in every way. The only flaw with the trailer was a minor leak at the water pump which was found a day after we picked up the trailer and was quickly fixed by tightening the connection. The furnace worked perfectly as the temps got down to the upper 20's F for several nights. The fridge was also perfect but I did not experience any temps over 80 F. Tractors was right about the Jack antenna being a good one because where the trailer was parked, over 24 channels came in. I had said if I got the one local channel that I would be happy.

The one problem to address is the Andersen hitch. The cone has developed a terrible "growl" to it and so I threw off the chains for the 350 mile trip home. The truck and trailer did seem to bounce a little more without the hitch. While using the hitch it seemed to be more of a one solid unit, but other than that it towed perfect. One pleasant surprise with the hitch was that with the ball being located a little further back, I could lower the pickup tailgate all the way with an inch to spare from the jack handle. As for the saw dust issue, I ended up with some of it in my shorts on the way home from Chilliwack in Sept.

In summation, I would have to say the biggest mistake we made in buying the trailer is that we should have done it sooner. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I...In summation, I would have to say the biggest mistake we made in buying the trailer is that we should have done it sooner. Loren

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #73

Trailer: 2015 June 25th Escape 19'
Loren and Cathy and forum participants-Congratulations on your first trip! We also love our new Escape. One week ago we, Dan and Kathy returned from our first trip through BC, YK, NWT, Alaska and back to FL.
Just a quick note about our Anderson Hitch, purchased from and installed by ETI. This is not a reflection on ETI, they have been wonderful. Just Anderson seems to be a "POS" in construction negative terms. Here's where we are with our HITCH problems. June 26th 2015 picked up our new trailer 19' with Toyota 2014 4 Runner. Everything Perfect! Within a few weeks we were hearing growling noises from the hitch. We figured we'd go direct to the manufacturer and called Anderson. By mid-July we had a new ball unit sent to us in Fairbanks, AK and sent the defective one back to Anderson as directed. Three days later the growing started again on the new ball unit! Dan was very frustrated- In a BLM campground one night after a guy chased us into a parking lot to tell us we were making noise from the rear Dan pounded out the ball to check the inside turning mechanism-greased the inside -knowing we would destroy the sway control of the hitch, and put the ball back inside the unit pounding with hammers and a piece of firewood. Then we called ETI to inform Reese of our hitch problem. He was great and said we should stop on our way through BC after our trip. The good news is Dan feels that we did not have a sway control problem over all those mountains and ETI offered to do anything we wanted to fix our problem. We decided to try another ball unit from Anderson which ETI provided. This time we kept the greased ball unit, too, just "in case". The bad news is by Oregon more growling. We changed out the new unit for the greased one and drove on to FL. Haven't yet decided next move but probably different hitch completely.
Whatever you do, do NOT let Anderson send you just the plastic insert from the inside around the ball unit. Would be very hard to replace in the field!
Let's keep in touch on this. Sea Star Dan
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #74

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Nail on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I qualify as an ETI cheerleader. I am very pleased with our little 17B, its’ quality and ETI’s customer support. I agree with Zardoz’s post.

Here are my reflections: I’ve wondered about people’s expectations who have little RV experience, no fiberglass trailer knowledge and few DIY mod/maintenance skills who live far away from ETI Chilliwack who purchase an Escape. These folk should realize that no company is perfect, no product is perfect. They should do their due diligence and have realistic expectations about the Escape product and company. You are buying a complex system. Nothing is perfect. That being said, in my experience, ETI does a superb job at customer service. It is great having a quality product that will last many years.

Owning an Escape has literally changed Liz and my lives. Our little 17b with solar has opened up our retirement life in ways I didn’t think possible a few years ago. Further, I’m very thankful for the ETI forum: for the kind reception and advice we received when we were in the research/learning stage about fibreglass trailers; for the ongoing connection we now have with the ETI community.

Larry
Larry, you nailed it! We fit into The trailer novice category. However, in reading through this (and other) forum, and comparing the Escape to other trailers, the quality of the Escape trailer stands out. No, nothing is ever going to be perfect. However, it's the quality of the manufacturer that makes the difference here!
So, even as a novice, I think we and others are aware of the differences...and the exceptional quality that is rendered.

I am also acutely aware of the freedom of exploration that such a trailer gives to us! I think that's what's most exciting of all. I am so looking forward to that experience, and having the outdoors accessible and available to me, where it hasn't been before.
So, I will tkeep my fingers crossed as my pursuit continues!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #75

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar View Post
Haven't yet decided next move but probably different hitch completely.
Sea Star Dan
Used to have a boat named Sea Star Our plain old basic WDH that came from ETI has done from the Mexican border to all of Alaska without a hitch, you might say

No sway control and it's never been an issue. Sometimes I think there's something to be said for tried and true rather than new and improved.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Used to have a boat named Sea Star Our plain old basic WDH that came from ETI has done from the Mexican border to all of Alaska without a hitch, you might say

No sway control and it's never been an issue. Sometimes I think there's something to be said for tried and true rather than new and improved.

Ron
I agree Ron. I was skeptical about the Anderson when it came out and it seems that based on feedback from quite a few dissatisfied users, the Anderson is not the ultimate towing aid that many thought it would be. I am still happy with the 3-years trouble free conventional WDH that was supplied to me by ETI when we bought our 19'.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've kept asking how the Andersen was better and why it was worth a couple hundred dollars more than the Pro Series.
Near as I can tell, the Andersen is "worth the extra money" because they replace parts, without too much hassle.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've kept asking how the Andersen was better and why it was worth a couple hundred dollars more than the Pro Series.
Near as I can tell, the Andersen is "worth the extra money" because they replace parts, without too much hassle.
And ... You can backup with it on, it's simpler to hook and unhook to TV, and I t does double- duty by eliminating need for a sway bar. I've had no problems with mine at all.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never experienced a problem backing up with the Pro Series WDH. Never felt the need for a sway bar either.
I guess the Andersen weighs less and may be simpler to hook up.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #80

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I e-mailed Andersen late last night and they responded promptly this morning. They will send me a new liner so we'll see how that works out. Otherwise I will just lubricate the unit and not worry about the sway control. It worked great to take the bounce out by kind of tying the truck and trailer together. Reace recommended it to prevent what he called "galloping" and that is exactly what it did. As for getting upset over a minor problem like this, life is to short. My old grandfather never got upset over anything even when he should have gotten upset and he lived to 96. As for the trailer as a whole, I just couldn't be happier. I'm busy prepping it for winter storage in the limestone caves with the next planned use to the Texas hill country this coming March. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote