Escape resale value? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Escape resale value?

Information about the actual selling prices seems to absent from the usual RV resources. I can see asking prices on this forum, but is there any info on the actual selling prices?

Also, I wonder if ETI has considered running an exchange to sell their used trailers. Sportsmobile sells used Sportsmobiles vehicles on their website for a small fee. They are very open about the actual resale values which really allows customers to get an idea of what to expect down the road on resale.
yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I would say that you lose about $1000 a year if you have the standard equipment and important options such as insulation and thermal windows and A/C (and usually people have a few other things). Someone could probably sell for about what they paid, at the moment, due to the backup on orders. We sold our 2011 in April for $25000 which was about $30k new. We probably could have asked more as we had added another $1000 worth of items in addition to initial build items.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Timing, Timing, Timing. Similar to location, location, location in real estate, Escape prices have to do with timing. With the exchange rate today, a new Escape can be purchased for what a slightly used one would sell for, except for timing, there is a year wait for a new one. I'm sure once the are reverses itself then the backlog may decline and timing again will present itself.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ten Forward is not for sale Jim is right on several points. In the all molded towable world, sale prices are cheaper across the board in the fall and start rising in the spring. Folks don't want to winter over a trailer (FALL and maybe pay for storage costs) and other folks don't want to wait and miss an entire season of camping (SPRING).

There are always two prices in selling anything. One: what the sellar wants to sell for and Two: what the buyer is willing to pay to own. It's up to sellar and buyer to meet on an agreed on price.

In the huge world of travel trailers, all molded towables are a very, very small segment and can demand higher prices because of durability. For instance, I can drive five miles from my home in nearly any direction and find several hundred stick built RVs that are for sale on dealer lots. All molded towables, I may find 2-3 for sale within 6-8 hours driving distance (and whether any of them are turn key usable is subjective).

Welcome to the unique world of small, lightweight molded towables

The only thing I can abolutely feel confident in telling you is I purchased a 10 year old all molded trailer in 1998 and have enjoyed it for all these years (still have it!), maintained it well and can now sell for more than my original investment. How can you beat that? Try THAT with any stick built trailer that's close to 30 years of age and not considered a "classic."

As far as I'm concerned, it's not about the age of any all molded towable, it's maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I doubt ETI takes used trailers as trade-ins. They are way too busy selling new ones and the owners can sell on the open market for whatever it will bear. The only ones I have seen ETI list are showroom models that they change out once in a LONG time.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Actually, ETI has listed on their website used models that aren't showroom models, but are sitting on their lot. Often listed as a "sell by owner," but ETI has gone through the systems. Whether these trailers are trade ins?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
The used 15A we just picked up from ETI was a consignment, advertised on this website. The former owners were moving up to a bigger escape and I'm guessing didn't want to deal with selling it them selves. Although everything went through ETI the bank draft was made out to the previous owners and then I believe they paid a fee to ETI. Not sure if this was more of a favor for a repeat customer or if they will consign any used Escape trailer. It definitely made it easier and gave us peace of mind.
skogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
U.S.$ vs Canadian $ is an advantage currently for American buyers as well as the variables mentioned above. Is there a 'blue book' price guide for Escape trailers similar to automobiles?... Sadly (for the interest of the Original Poster no). For the moment, at least, I don't believe ETI needs the extra work of brokering used Escape trailers any more than they currently do.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
As others have mentioned, the value is what a seller is willing to take, and what a buyer is willing to pay. For fiberglass trailers, that's much higher vs the original price than a conventional trailer. In the case of Escape, I think there are 3 factors. First, its an all molded fiberglass trailer that enjoys a reputation for durability and holding of resale value just like other fiberglass trailers do. Second, the Escape has a stellar reputation for quality and support in the fiberglass trailer community, and that ups the value. The third factor could change, and that's exchange rate. Because of the extremely favorable rate right now for US buyers, you can get a new one for only slightly more than a used one. Current owners who are trying to sell are being somewhat negatively impacted by this, but as I said, if the exchange rate tips back in favor of the CAD, that will change.

For us, resale value was just an added bonus, and not a big consideration. The reputation of the brand, the experience of current owners, and the stellar customer support provided by Escape were the main things.