Escaping with Cats! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Escaping with Cats!

Hi all!

We are contemplating going camping with our two cats, Jimmy and Starr. I know several of you camp with your cats and was wondering . . .

Do your cats travel in your truck with you or in the trailer itself?

I know it depends on the cat's temperament, but do you use a harness or cage for outdoors?

Any hints or cautions?

Thanks!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We have travelled with one car in a travel trailer. The cat wore a harness at all times, rode in the tow vehicle (a van), and was only outside when moving between van and trailer (like our other cats, she was an indoor cat at home, too).

The big risk, of course, is the cat getting out when a door is opened, and getting lost or hurt in the unfamiliar environment. The daily annoyance is dealing with a litter box in the small space.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We've traveled for many years with as many as four cats in a small fifth wheel. We take three in our new 5.0TA. They ride in the trailer - they are more comfortable curled up in their cozy beds there. Our cats have never been door dashers, if you had a cat who often tried to run out that could be a problem. We don't take them out of the trailer when we are traveling, with the exception of one adventurous time who gets a little leash time when we have a quiet secluded campsite.

I'm sure the cats are not fond of the driving, but they seem to really like camping otherwise. They are often fascinated with the new view out the windows when we arrive at a new campsite, and enjoy watching the activity in the campgrounds. They also like being in very close proximity to us in the trailer, they probably get more attention than they do at home.

Most of our cats have tended to freak out when first introduced to the trailer but adjusted very quickly, so don't worry a lot if your cats are less than enthusiastic initially. We had a larger bathroom in our old trailer with a tub which worked great as a spot for their litter box. In the smaller Escape bath, our litter box resides on the bathroom floor and we have to move it out to go in. We had ETI incorporate a cat-sized hole in the bottom of the bathroom door - oh, the things we do for our kitties...

Check out our photo album on this forum for cat camping photos: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/m...albums269.html

And here is a post with photos of the cats exploring our new 5.0TA: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post287959
Attached Thumbnails
Bath 3.jpg   First day 7.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
One thing we have always done that I think helps a lot is to spend the night before a trip in our trailer in the driveway with the cats rather than just bringing them out in the morning and hitting the road. When we got the new trailer we brought the cats out to spend an afternoon just exploring it and getting used to it - helps a lot to have some blankets, cat beds etc. with familiar scents on them in the trailer.

Provide something for them to scratch on and they will be far less likely to do that on your carpet or upholstery. We have found that a table pedestal wrapped in sisal (use hot glue to stick it on) is a popular scratching post, and also a sisal floor mat right inside the front door.

Be sure to have your cats microchipped just in case the worst happens and one somehow gets separated from you. And although we've never needed a carrier while on a trip, we always have one carrier for each cat on hand for emergencies, we bought soft folding carriers and they don't take up much storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Table 5.jpg  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We always take water from home when we travel with our dogs, may be the same with cats.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #6

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have found that a table pedestal wrapped in sisal (use hot glue to stick it on) is a popular scratching post...
What a great idea.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
We have travelled with one car in a travel trailer.
Obviously this was supposed to be "one cat" , but it's too late to edit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I've read that cats prefer horizontal immovable surfaces to sharpen their claws on. That was certainly the case when I had a cat. So a sisal mat or piece of carpet glued to a heavy piece of plywood might do the trick. Rip rip rip rip rip rip rip!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We have cats, too and have entertained the idea of traveling with them, as well. Love the picture of the scratching post under the table but we installed a Lagun table mount - darn it! Love the Lagun, but no scratching post there now.

We have 2 big Siberian cats that feel the need to stretch a lot, on the floor or on the wall or wherever...so I worry most about them clawing up the place (especially the walls). Is this a valid concern or am I being too paranoid? They are OK at home and definitely know where to scratch and not scratch, but not sure I can trust them in the trailer yet....Must get creative. Dave, I like your idea of putting them in the trailer the day before travel. That's brilliant. Your kitty pics are adorable!

We have 2 doors for access under the bed. So instead of the bathroom a potential place for a litter box could be under the bed and we could just remove one door for access maybe? Does anyone do this?

Must admit, I also worry about the sail switch in the furnace getting all clogged up with their fur - ours have very long fur. But we did buy an extra sail switch during orientation so according to Murphy's Law - we should be good in that department, right?

For now, we have excellent kitty sitters but welcome any and all advice for possible new furry partners 'on the road'. Thanks!

Best wishes to Chuck with Jimmy and Starr!!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I also travel with my cat. He travels in the car and is free to roam in the car. I bring a quilt for him both in the car and the trailer. (He likes to “hide” under the quilt. Like others have said, start slow. My first trip was 4 nights close to home. There, he learned that when I left him, I would always return. He’s experienced storms and in the trailer and doesn’t seem to be concerned. I use a top entry CleverCat kitty liter box that sits next to the bed in my 19. I also carry a carrier just in case. My one concession for him, I never lock the door of the trailer when I leave him inside. Like others say, he’ll spend more time with you than if you hire someone to feed him at home. Last year, we spent 65 nights/5000 + miles traveling. No time outside for him.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

You guys familiar with "Harry and Tonto"...
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our cat travels in the jeep with us while towing, she happily jumps into her cat carrier when we stop to set up for the night. She is an Escape artist and jumps at the door when we are camping and going in and out. We leash walk her immediately after setup and she then knows, kinda, where she is and where home is. Litter box is a side hole, top openning plastic box that fits between the table leg and power controller (11 inches wide). It can stink at times, we remove the offending material via the top opening asap. If we are somewhere for 2 or more days we let her off leash and follow her around. She is quite responsive, comes when called, goes home when ordered. We had been at a friend's 20 acres on our way home from Osoyoos and i was walking her off leash. The friend's cat loving dog came running by, i yelled at the dog and the cat was at the trailer door in a milisecond where Gary openned the door just in time. The dog grew up with several cats, was living with a cat, and i believe had no bad intentions. Our cat after 2 days, knew where home and the door were located. It is safer to walk the cat on leash, but she much prefers outings off leash. We hang the cat carrier in the trailer, she sleeps in it.
Attached Thumbnails
20190315_184105.jpg  
Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
comes when called? goes home when ordered? are you SURE that's a cat?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Cat training for responding: If I want our adventure cat to come to me or go into the trailer I whistle or tell her "in in in". She gets dried slivered Boniuna for successful obeying. Cats are totally controlled by their stomachs. My first cat 45 years ago taught me that feeding after calling him, worked every time. When I gave up treating, he gave up coming when called. He was very successful at training me.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Casita upgraded to 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You guys familiar with "Harry and Tonto"...

Had never heard of the movie but have now and will see about viewing it soon. That is what keeps us from doing asome trips is our two cats. Have thought about getting a harness and seing how they would respond to it. When we had the Casita there was no way for the room to have them. Now with the Escape could happen but don't know that I need them along on the trip.They are indoor / outdoor cats and are put in the garage every night for sleep.
They are only allowed on the floor and their certain cat things I have built for them. Don't want cat hair all over either so taking them with us may not be something that happens.

Marsh
Koi-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Thank you all so very much for your cat encouragement! We think we'll give it a try!
Love them kitties!

Thanks again!
Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #17

I have 4 cats at home and 2 dogs that travel with us. A good source of house cat sitters is your vet. The receptionist at mine stops by house on the way to/from work and takes care of the 4 cats. Otherwise boarding becomes expensive.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #18

Also recommend all your pets be microchipped with your cell phone info....
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #19

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Our cat travels in the jeep with us while towing, she happily jumps into her cat carrier when we stop to set up for the night. She is an Escape artist and jumps at the door when we are camping and going in and out. We leash walk her immediately after setup and she then knows, kinda, where she is and where home is. Litter box is a side hole, top openning plastic box that fits between the table leg and power controller (11 inches wide). It can stink at times, we remove the offending material via the top opening asap. If we are somewhere for 2 or more days we let her off leash and follow her around. She is quite responsive, comes when called, goes home when ordered. We had been at a friend's 20 acres on our way home from Osoyoos and i was walking her off leash. The friend's cat loving dog came running by, i yelled at the dog and the cat was at the trailer door in a milisecond where Gary openned the door just in time. The dog grew up with several cats, was living with a cat, and i believe had no bad intentions. Our cat after 2 days, knew where home and the door were located. It is safer to walk the cat on leash, but she much prefers outings off leash. We hang the cat carrier in the trailer, she sleeps in it.
Reading this gives me hope that I may again own a cat 😺 after I first acclimate myself to the camper (due in October) and figure out the perfect spot for a litter box. I'm thinking that, if I begin training at the kitten stage, she'll learn to love the life, and a hanging cat carrier sounds like the perfect solution to both travel and transfer from TV to trailer. Though given the reward of food or a good scratching, my cats have always come running whenever called, I don't think I'd want to risk letting a cat outside the camper, as even here in my daughter's neighborhood within the city, the occasional cayote kills a cat. 😿

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #20

Trailer: TBD
I've never seen a litter box for dogs, why don't cat people walk their cats and collect their poop as dog persons do? Is it just a cultural practice or is it not "practical"? I have a friend that travels with a cat and takes it for walks on a leash. I never thought to check if he uses a litter box in his RV.