ETI Front Storage Box owners - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Don't use it while towing as the jangling will wear on the paint of the box shackles.
Good point. An alternative is a locking hasp (keyed, or combination), which has nothing jangling around. (One would need the right size and shape of hasp, that was just an example of a typical locking hasp)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just use one small just to slow down the theft
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
...Don't use it while towing as the jangling will wear on the paint of the box shackles...
I would imagine that the lock could wear the paint. I have used a medium sized brass lock for past two years on mine and there is no sign of paint wearing. I think that the design of the hasp tends to keep pressure on the lock and keeps it from jangling.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #24

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Cosmetics are important. I've visual! But honestly a padlock won't really secure the front storage box anymore than a cheap clip. As I've said, it's more about your level of comfort.
Say u are in the lot grocery shopping. It stops the sudden impulse thiefs to from stealing.

ken
jmtcw
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I covered our little brass locks with a couple of turns of white electricians tape. It has not come off in 3 years. Looks good since the tape matches the the colour of the trailer. It also prevents any potential damage from jangling during a trip.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
I covered our little brass locks with a couple of turns of white electricians tape. It has not come off in 3 years. Looks good since the tape matches the the colour of the trailer. It also prevents any potential damage from jangling during a trip.
Good idea Brian. Gonna have to try that.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I bought a pair of key locks that have a plastic trim at the bottom that protects the hasp. No sign of wear so far. Got them at Wallyworld.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jeepers, thanks everyone for keeping on saying 'Jangle'. now I have this darn earworm.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #29

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I would imagine that the lock could wear the paint. I have used a medium sized brass lock for past two years on mine and there is no sign of paint wearing. I think that the design of the hasp tends to keep pressure on the lock and keeps it from jangling.
I cut an inch or two out of a bicycle tube which fit over our lock tightly. The theory is to protect the paint. It's not white so doesn't blend in, but that may be a good thing. It's worked so far.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I notice more than one person saying that they only lock one side. My view is you should lock both sides or leave it unlocked. One side unlocked invites a thief, who could care less about the damage he causes, to grab the unlocked side and force it up to get inside. But then again, maybe I'm overly cautious, I designed a home alarm system long before they became common place in houses.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I notice more than one person saying that they only lock one side. My view is you should lock both sides or leave it unlocked. One side unlocked invites a thief, who could care less about the damage he causes, to grab the unlocked side and force it up to get inside. But then again, maybe I'm overly cautious, I designed a home alarm system long before they became common place in houses.

Ron
I agree, seems like if there is a hasp there should be a lock.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Wow, I thought this was a simple question. I really didn't expect all these responses. So thanks for that, all.

But now I'm wondering whether the keyed-alike weather resistant, coated locks I found will fit. See pic below. With the rubber coating, the shackles look to be more on the 5/16" diameter. I haven't opened the package, thinking I may need to return them. So, is a 1/4 inch the max diameter of the hasp? But, apparently I can enlarge the hole slightly. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the great responses.

Klaus
Attached Thumbnails
photo(8).JPG  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:

Ron
I guess everyone has their own situation. Others may well live and camp in areas where crime is more of a concern than for us. Although there certainly is crime and thievery around here, it is not severe enough for me to waste too much effort or thought on how to combat it. One lock is enough to provide a minimum of protection for me, and is not as big of a pain in the a$$ to unlock when I need quick access to the storage bin. Keep in mind with the tow attached, you may have to climb over the hitch to unlock the other side, or walk around your vehicle.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget you also need 2 locks for your sewer compartment, I bought a matching set like these Amazon.com: 3/4" (20mm Appx) Mini Brass Lock 6-piece Set: Office Products
that way I'll always have an extra key around.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Smile

Quote:
I notice more than one person saying that they only lock one side. My view is you should lock both sides or leave it unlocked.

Ron
I'm in the locking one side camp, no sense having to repair both sides if some jerk tries to break in. I just use a very small plastic coated lock I picked up at CT. After 4 weekend trips and one 7,000Km three week trip I saw no damage or wear to speak of. As Donna D. says YMMV.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Wow, I thought this was a simple question. I really didn't expect all these responses. So thanks for that, all.

But now I'm wondering whether the keyed-alike weather resistant, coated locks I found will fit. See pic below. With the rubber coating, the shackles look to be more on the 5/16" diameter. I haven't opened the package, thinking I may need to return them. So, is a 1/4 inch the max diameter of the hasp? But, apparently I can enlarge the hole slightly. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the great responses.

Klaus
Hard to tell from this photo (hat tip to Cypher - where I originally got the idea for the marine grade locks) but it looks like there's enough latch material to enlarge the holes if your hasp is too thick.
Attached Thumbnails
user1816_pic957_1408587674.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We picked our Escape 21 up last spring and immediately headed down to Utah for some camping and hiking. We intentionally spent the first night at the WalMart in Bellingham, WA. There we loaded up on all our trailering supplies that evening. I bought a couple locks for the front box there. Turned out they were too thick to fit through the holes. Wasn't much of a hassle to exchange them for the next smallest size of lock!
With no previous RV experience, I hate to admit it, but this was a great way to equip the RV. We took a number of trips back and forth to get it all equipped, but we did a pretty good job of it that evening and they were pretty well stocked for kitchen, camping and RVing gear. We more than paid for our free campsite that day!
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
We intentionally spent the first night at the WalMart in Bellingham, WA. There we loaded up on all our trailering supplies that evening. I bought a couple locks for the front box there. Turned out they were too thick to fit through the holes. Wasn't much of a hassle to exchange them for the next smallest size of lock!
With no previous RV experience, I hate to admit it, but this was a great way to equip the RV. We took a number of trips back and forth to get it all equipped, but we did a pretty good job of it that evening and they were pretty well stocked for kitchen, camping and RVing gear. We more than paid for our free campsite that day!
Making your first night's stop at Bayview State Park does the same thing. The turn-off for the park is by Camping World. A little circuit we've done several times.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Making your first night's stop at Bayview State Park does the same thing. The turn-off for the park is by Camping World. A little circuit we've done several times.
That sure looks like a much nicer place to camp than the tarmac outside Walmart, but a little further to go to stock up on all the needed camping gear. I will say, I didn't pre-plan the first day because I had NO idea how the pick-up day would go, how confident I'd be pulling a trailer, how customs would be, how much shopping we'd have to do etc. I think we made about 4 trips into WalMart that evening so it was handy being so close by.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget you also need 2 locks for your sewer compartment, I bought a matching set like these Amazon.com: 3/4" (20mm Appx) Mini Brass Lock 6-piece Set: Office Products
that way I'll always have an extra key around.
Right on, I hate when people steal my sewer! oops I'm sorry.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote