ETI QC policy - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Careful Ron,
I tried the same, since this is my 4th Escape, no orientation needed. But they still had me wait around for 2 hours because the driver who imports the trailer was not available until then. So you may have a wait, either way, depending on who is doing what. There is a bustle of activity going on, but without the drivers, nothing is leaving.
I'm confused. Ron resides in Canada and there is no importing. Doesn't he just hitch up and leave after any paperwork formalities are complete?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Nope, I was asked to schedule a 2 hour orientation. I don't feel that I need a 2 hour orientation, including things like how to hook up etc. I told them I didn't want to spend 2 hours in an orientation so I'm just doing the paperwork and going.

The default situation is a 2 hour orientation for everyone.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
For us that live in the USA, the driver is a necessity due to import restrictions. For those that live in Canada, can I assume that you just hook up and go?
I did have them show me a few things while Dennis got the hitch ready with the Anderson adapter, and left in less than 20 minutes. I did want to get going as it was January and I had over 9 hours of driving to get home through a few mountain ranges plus any breaks we wanted. Fortunately we set up for 8am, and was on the road by 9am.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One reason for that two hour orientation may be protection for ETI against a law suit.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #65

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
One reason for that two hour orientation may be protection for ETI against a law suit.
When we bought a stick built trailer years ago the orientation consisted pretty much of "here's the keys". Given that a fair number of Escape purchasers (or any brand, for that matter) are first time RV'ers it seems like just good business practice to do a thorough orientation - the more informed people are the better their experience is likely to be. I would guess that orientation varies considerably among different RV dealers, I consider ETI's orientation just part of their overall effort to provide really good customer service.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
We had our trailer delivered to CT . Met the driver at a Walmart parking lot. I installed my Anderson adapter to the trailer, backed my truck up to his trailer, hooked it up and towed it off the trailer. This was my first 5th wheel tow😁. The driver had me sign off on the trailer gave me a paperwork packet and was on his way. And here better than 2 years latter our trailer is still working great. That was it for my orientation. Of course my wife said if this thing don’t hitch up or we can’t tow it with the F150 I’m gonna have to sleep in it till we get it figured out.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is true Tom, I'm not sure if it is any different. But for some reason something stick in my feeble mind about certain times for Americans and other for Canadians? I maybe wrong...never in doubt!!
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #68
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Like Donna, we were exhausted after orientation and by the time they made the necessary adjustments to our hitch so that the trailer was level with our tow vehicle, it was a half day ordeal. They also had many helpful tips that were not in the manual or things to watch out for, etc.
If you're looking for some options other than the Lynden KOA that are close with some activity options:
-Birch Bay State Park is on the ocean and is a fun place to visit, especially in the summer. It is about an hour west of the Sumas crossing or 40 minutes from the Aldergrove crossing. The campground itself is nicely treed, with newer washrooms. Some sites have electric and water and some are 'tent' sites with no hook ups. I would not recommend camping here on the weekends as it's noisy, but our experience is that it's been more peaceful during the week.
-Fort Camping at Brae Island Regional Park located just outside of Fort Langley, BC, an hour west of Chilliwack is beautiful. Brae Island Regional Park has beautiful treed trails and campground and there is a short walk across the river in to Fort Langley, with a National Historic Site, other trails, neat shops and restaurants.

Be aware that the Trans Canada Highway usually has heavy traffic eastbound on Fridays as people are heading out of town and again westbound on Sunday afternoons. Also, the above mentioned campgrounds fill up quickly, as do most in the area.

Have fun with your new Escape!!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #69

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Like Cliff, we had our 21 delivered. Met the transport driver at a nearby interstate rest area, we were 10 minutes early, and the driver already had our trailer unloaded and waiting for us to hitch up. He handed us an envelope full of paperwork and the keys, we signed a release saying the trailer was delivered to us in good condition, he walked around the trailer to make sure all the lights were working (usually my wife's job), we drove off, he drove off, and that was it. I was fine with it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #70

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
... by the time they made the necessary adjustments to our hitch so that the trailer was level with our tow vehicle, it was a half day ordeal.
We also had the 8:30 am orientation and left ETI site to Bob's Burgers and Brew after 11 am after we were told that our trailer had left before us. When we got to Bob's there was no sign of the ETI driver with our trailer and we thought maybe the customs lanes for commercial vehicles were busier. We waited a long time and finally called ETI. To our disbelief ETI told us our trailer was being held up at the customs due to some documentation issue. We later found out from the driver that on the customs paperwork our VIN # had one wrong digit and ETI had to scramble to get it fixed and faxed over. By the time we got the trailer and hooked it up to our TV (I did the hookup and took no more than 15 min) it was close to 3 pm. So a 3-hour delay due to a single digit.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Like Donna, we were exhausted after orientation and by the time they made the necessary adjustments to our hitch so that the trailer was level with our tow vehicle, it was a half day ordeal. They also had many helpful tips that were not in the manual or things to watch out for, etc.
If you're looking for some options other than the Lynden KOA that are close with some activity options:
-Birch Bay State Park is on the ocean and is a fun place to visit, especially in the summer. It is about an hour west of the Sumas crossing or 40 minutes from the Aldergrove crossing. The campground itself is nicely treed, with newer washrooms. Some sites have electric and water and some are 'tent' sites with no hook ups. I would not recommend camping here on the weekends as it's noisy, but our experience is that it's been more peaceful during the week.
-Fort Camping at Brae Island Regional Park located just outside of Fort Langley, BC, an hour west of Chilliwack is beautiful. Brae Island Regional Park has beautiful treed trails and campground and there is a short walk across the river in to Fort Langley, with a National Historic Site, other trails, neat shops and restaurants.

Be aware that the Trans Canada Highway usually has heavy traffic eastbound on Fridays as people are heading out of town and again westbound on Sunday afternoons. Also, the above mentioned campgrounds fill up quickly, as do most in the area.

Have fun with your new Escape!!
Love local knowledge! Had an 8:30 pickup too. They fast tracked me; Birch Bay was a good tip from Tammy.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #72

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I'm due to pick up my new 21 on Aug 13. I would like to take off right away for parts unknown but am thinking I should stay close by for a day or two exercising the various systems.

Does anyone have a handle on how thoroughly ETI does their QC?

IE: Has the fridge been checked for cooling in all 3 modes? Have all 120v and 12v outlets been tested for power. Do the brakes lock the wheels? You get the idea.

I read about the water pump staying on. Easy fix but that would seem to indicate no water was in the tank so the system was not checked.

The last trailer I bought was a 2002 Holiday Rambler ( I keep'em forever) I got hooked up and was in the process of finding the best setting for the brake controller and surprise. No brakes! The culprit was a faulty crimp in the 7 pin brake wire at the box. The brakes could not possibly have been checked.

I've been reading posts here since I ordered and am confidant ETI does a good job so don't expect any real problems but wanted to hear from others about their experience with ETI's QC level.
We camped just across the border for two nights before returning to Canada for a cross BC tour after picking up our 2017 17B. Less an issue of QC but more a shakedown or personal familiarization cruise of a complex new trailer.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We traveled to Deception Pass in Washington State first day, camped, and made a trip back to Walmart for "stuff". We were exhausted by evening time. Too much for a day.

If I did it again I would stay close by. Exhaustion factor if nothing else. Then anything needs fixing, you are right there. We only had a minor issue with the radio, found out later that the antenna was plugged into the wrong jack.

Also of note, Reace spotted our tires on the tow looking a little low. Advised us on pressures to run and helped air up the tires. Use his recommendations to this day.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
........ ETI told us our trailer was being held up at the customs due to some documentation issue. We later found out from the driver that on the customs paperwork our VIN # had one wrong digit...........

My take on this comment, as a taxpayer: U.S. Customs is doing their job.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #75

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 ta
Although we had other trailers in the past, there is a slight learning curve, so we were glad we spend 3 nights, in Sumas to orient ourselves. We found no problems, but did call Escape with a couple of questions. Was reassuring to know we could have returned to the factory if needed. Plus, as Donna said, we were exhausted after driving from PA, getting the hitch installed at TradeMasters in Chilliwack, spending a sleepless night anticipating ownership, going through orientation, then meeting in Sumas. We were glad to just drive a few miles then get things set up, go for groceries, and enjoy our new Escape.
EllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:48 AM   #76

Trailer: none yet
HI 75th Ranger,

We will also be at Escape picking up our new 19' then onto Lyndon camp grounds Aug.3-7.
We are often in Riviera as my husband is from Falfurrias, TX - what date will you be picking yours up?
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #77

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecatstar View Post
HI 75th Ranger,

We will also be at Escape picking up our new 19' then onto Lyndon camp grounds Aug.3-7.
We are often in Riviera as my husband is from Falfurrias, TX - what date will you be picking yours up?
Aug 13 at 0830
Old 07-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We picked up our 17B last Thursday morning. We went to the closest camp ground, Cottonwood RV park, across the Transcanada highway from Escape's plant. We will be here until Monday checking all systems, provisioning, stowing all our gear, adding some hooks etc. We have a 4000 Km drive home so wanted to get familiar with her before starting our vacation.

It turned into a great decision. We nipped over to Escape on Friday, got a few questions answered, picked some extra clips for the back of the cupboard doors to ensure they will remain closed on rough roads.

The campground is much better than expected. A bit of noise from the Transcanada. The bathrooms, showers are very very clean. Laundry works well. Manager is a bit gruff on the phone but super nice lady in person. Our site is relatively private, neighbours friendly, but not too friendly. Wifi is amazing for a campground, we can watch videos on it. Any kind of shopping is close by from Walmart to a farmers market. Water tastes good, power 120V.

The trailer itself is perfect. Excellent workmanship, very comfortable. Well worth the cost and the wait.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote