ETI visit 04/23 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
ETI visit 04/23

Just happened to be driving out ETI way today and thought that I'd stop in a see and clarify a couple of things.

On the way out we saw two separate new 21s, one towed by a blue p/u and one by a white p/u. Asked the office if two 21s had just been picked up and they said yes. So to the new owners, enjoy.

On the windows I was happy that both types continue to be available. Framed it'll be.

On the awning I was happy that the Carefree manual was standard. But then I heard nearby murmurings of dissent. To be discussed further.

Really wanted to see and compare the two interior choices. We both like the original counter top and upholstery. I don't mind the original flooring either and my wife covers it with rugs anyway. But I did hear some other murmurings about liking the flooring that goes with the maple and black counter tops. Maybe if we ask nicely we could get the newer slightly darker flooring with the traditional oak interior. Shouldn't cost them anything to do that.

She who does all the cooking really liked the new flush top stove.

And, yes, the $1,000 discount is still available.

The thing that I wanted to get an answer on is if the drawer stack and furnace can be eliminated on the 21. If, and it's a big if, we were to get a 21 I'd want to install a Dickinson Alaska diesel heater in that space.

And, boy, looking at the charred remains so close to the main building, that was a close call.

Well, I'll see what answers I get tomorrow.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Oak and new flooring/counter tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Just happened to be driving out ETI way today and thought that I'd stop in a see and clarify a couple of things.

On the way out we saw two separate new 21s, one towed by a blue p/u and one by a white p/u. Asked the office if two 21s had just been picked up and they said yes. So to the new owners, enjoy.

On the windows I was happy that both types continue to be available. Framed it'll be.

On the awning I was happy that the Carefree manual was standard. But then I heard nearby murmurings of dissent. To be discussed further.

Really wanted to see and compare the two interior choices. We both like the original counter top and upholstery. I don't mind the original flooring either and my wife covers it with rugs anyway. But I did hear some other murmurings about liking the flooring that goes with the maple and black counter tops. Maybe if we ask nicely we could get the newer slightly darker flooring with the traditional oak interior. Shouldn't cost them anything to do that.

She who does all the cooking really liked the new flush top stove.

And, yes, the $1,000 discount is still available.

The thing that I wanted to get an answer on is if the drawer stack and furnace can be eliminated on the 21. If, and it's a big if, we were to get a 21 I'd want to install a Dickinson Alaska diesel heater in that space.

And, boy, looking at the charred remains so close to the main building, that was a close call.

Well, I'll see what answers I get tomorrow.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Let us know the answer regarding mix and match, I've been meaning to ask myself. We are getting oak and Melisa was able to substitute the new kitchen faucet at no charge.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Winnebago Class C
Glad to hear the $1,000 discount is still available. That's a good deal, to be honest.
RoyTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Dickinson Alaska

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER! Don't do it!

Once upon a time, I had a 36' motor-sailor built, which I lived on very comfortably for 20-some years. I had a Dickinson Pacific range for cooking and a Dickinson Alaska for cabin heat.

Can't say enough good things about those units and Dickinson, especially the helpful advice from Dickinson when I ordered the units. Good helpful advice. Which I ignored. Oops...

When ordering these units, they first asked about my boat and where it was located before they'd take my order. As I was ordering these, the 36' boat was frozen solid in 18" thick ice in a marina in Gloucester, Massachusetts. They were not impressed. (Well, not *favorably* impressed.) "Either of these units alone is too big for your needs. We make smaller units, one of which might be suitable." I ordered the units. BIG mistake.

The Alaska's lowest setting was way too hot. They claim it is 6500 BTU, but man, given that most of the 5" stack is inside the vessel/trailer, that stack, which is WAY TOO HOT TO TOUCH heats air and sets up a convection current that is hard to believe. With frost on the deck, I had to have multiple hatches open to keep from being cooked out of the boat. (The boat was built from wood, not fiberglass, but your trailer will be insulated and so will have roughly the same issue.)

In Northern California, both Dickinson stoves became decorations, even in winter on nights when frost was settling on the decks.

Other issues:

You need a diesel tank and either a pump or a gravity tank mounted high somewhere.

The stack exit through the deck/trailer top is a specialty item designed to keep all the heat from destroying your overhead. The stack, which is large, will have to be taken down when you tow.
The opening where the stack sat will have to be plugged - which is another specialty fitting, accessed from above.
And that stack is bigger than it looks and and difficult to store and might be full of nasty black gummy soot unless you have the combustion parameters just right.

Which will be difficult; because you will forever be fiddling with the control trying to turn it DOWN. Oh God, PLEASE! Let me turn it down just another - click! Rats! (You've just turned it below the lowest setting a bit, and it slipped to Off. Grrr... You are doing this naked in the middle of the night because you are so hot you can't sleep, having kicked off the covers and opened the windows. ALL the windows.

Dickinson makes propane heaters too, that start at 3200 BTU. You already have propane onboard and 3200 BTU is reasonable. (Keep in mind, these are not thermostatically controlled - you set it and forget it and it runs and runs - until you get cold and rise to turn it up or are awakened drowning in your own sweat...)

Mount the stove low unless you have a circulating fan. You can easily get a 30oF gradient going at super hot air flows off the stack where the stack exits and the floor stays very cool.

The advice above is offered in good faith, but remember that you paid nothing for it and the author has already demonstrated his idiocy by buying units he was told not to. Better, informed, educated advice is available from Dickinson for free, by telephone. And in my experience, they know what they are talking about.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD escape View Post

The advice above is offered in good faith, but remember that you paid nothing for it and the author has already demonstrated his idiocy by buying units he was told not to. Better, informed, educated advice is available from Dickinson for free, by telephone. And in my experience, they know what they are talking about.
After 35 years of using Newport and Dickinson diesel heaters as well as a Dickinson propane furnace in my boats I do have a bit of experience with them.

You're correct, they do just keep cranking out heat and I love the flickering flame on a cold dark night when there's snow on the decks.

The physical parameters and requirements are well known to me and aren't a concern.

I did get an answer on eliminating the cabinet. It was negative. But that's OK as I will still have a shallow cabinet in that location and I'll use the factory one as part of the material for it.

Ron
Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ah, you know what you are getting into then! Very good. You’re right, the warm flame through the window is very cheery on a cold blustery night. Especially with the hatches open. ;-)

From what I’ve seen of your prior posts, I’ll bet the installation will be stellar. The box you added to the front of your trailer back in 2014 looks magnificent. When we get home with our new trailer about a month from now, my first project will be an effort to duplicate it. Or maybe the second, after the relatively minor shelf over the door.

Dave (The “D” in MAD, Marty and Dave)
Old 05-01-2019, 12:51 AM   #7

Yes, I do know the product well. And despite the charming habits of the early units, a habit that caused us to name it the "fire breathing dragon" they've given us years of good service.

I'm a little puzzled by you having too much heat for a 36' boat as that's one of their primary markets. A friend has had one in his small 30' boat for 30 plus years and while it certainly provides lots of heat it's never to the point where he has to shut it down to cool off.

Good luck with the tongue box.

Ron