Experience with Leaks? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Experience with Leaks?

I have done a search on this topic, but haven't found the answer to my exact question---which is: What has been your experience with leaks? Have you had any, and if so--where?

I was interested to hear Jeff mention on "Meet the Escapees" that he had had a bad experience with his Airstream when he blew a tire.

I have had the same problem with my small stickbuilt trailer. I blew a tire and the tread flapped against the wheel well so hard that it blew the thing apart. I had to have another constructed by a local metal shop and replaced it.

So---I wonder what would happen in similar circumstances with the molded fiberglass Escape? Any experience along these lines?

Thanks.
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

Re: Experience with Leaks?

I've not had any issues of the sort and I've spent many kilometres on gravel roads with the trailer. I think these trailers are light enough that tires aren't usually an issue.

(I've pulled my trailer close to 50,000 km and not had an issue with that - the fridge fell apart, but the tires are fine)
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Art Davis...The only problem I've had with rogue water was in the cupboard under the sink. I discovered that it's not a good thing to point the hose, while washing the 5.0, at the outside shower compartment as the holes for the water lines arn't sealed to allow some flexibility.
As far as damage from a flat tire...fingers x'd...none yet!!! I did change out the cracked valve stems on all 3 tires for $30. Cheap insurance. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 17

A lot of the time you would never know. There are many examples of leaks in scamp and casita where the water finds it's way down the interior between the the insulation and bare fiberglass interior shell, never seen or detected. Only to finally be found out that a section of floor is rotted. caulking and sealing should be maintained and looked after.

I wonder about the enclosed belly pan airspace. outside temperature variations which creates normal condensation collecting on the warmer side of a trapped air location. I wonder if this creates moisture on the wood floor wich would not be good. How would you ever know if it can't be seen.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #5

Hi: gocamp...I do believe that Reace has addressed this issue in another thread on the Forum!!! It is my understanding the upper side of the sub floor is coated with resin. Then a leveling compound is applied to the seams before the vinyl flooring is layed. Then around the perimiter of the sub floor drain holes are drilled. As well drain holes are drilled in the "Pontoons" of the fiberglass(visable under the trailer) to let any moisture or condensate out. I think every precaution has been used to prevent sub floor decay. IMHO Alf
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

The window frames collect some water in them during a rain event, and if the lower "drain slots" are not draining well because of some obstruction, you might get some overflow inside. We had some clothing against the window (perhaps down in the "gutter" a little) and it got damp following a rain storm. (If you'll look at the outside of you sliding windows, one side is protected by a rubber "loose seal". So water that slips around that seal <not tight> has to evaporate or drain out of the little slot drains under the window)
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Davis
I have done a search on this topic, but haven't found the answer to my exact question---which is: What has been your experience with leaks? Have you had any, and if so--where?
I was interested to hear Jeff mention on "Meet the Escapees" that he had had a bad experience with his Airstream when he blew a tire.
I have had the same problem with my small stickbuilt trailer. I blew a tire and the tread flapped against the wheel well so hard that it blew the thing apart. I had to have another constructed by a local metal shop and replaced it.
So---I wonder what would happen in similar circumstances with the molded fiberglass Escape? Any experience along these lines?
Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We BLEW a tire in our 17' Casita on 283 coming out of Lancaster (Interstate type road, going 65 mph). Like Jeff's, it just disintegrated, throwing pieces and parts everywhere. The tire left rubber marks all over the wheel well, and the side of the trailer, but NO DAMAGE. I'd suspect the same if it happened in an Escape. The rigid fiberglass will take quite a whipping! Gotta love those Escapes!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #8

Hi: Art Davis...As HokieEscape has pointed out keeping the weep holes clear and running is vital. It doesn&#39;t hurt to lift the sliding windows and the screens out and clean last years camp dust out of the tracks. This minor maintenance will keep the windows sliding properly and draining too!!! I am using a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the window rubbers/seals and trim. Hope it cuts down on the black streaks on the white fiberglass. It&#39;s also good protection for the tires and can be used on the fiberglass as well. It&#39;s billed as " Sunscreen for your stuff". www.303products.com Alf (No promotional considerations provided)
Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #9

Hi: Again...Another thing to note is the design of the molds that Escape uses. Rather than fitting a flat window into a curved wall like Boler/Scamp and many others did; Escape made the mold flat where the windows are located to get a much more positive seal when the windows clamp in!!! You can note the crease lines in the picture. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
pardon my behind.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

With regard to the fixed back window, I don't see any drain holes at all in ours. When we were camping in 100% humidity in Oregon in November, condensation completely filled up the little trough on the inside of our window. We had to get a big towel and soak it up in the morning and if we had slept in, it would have overflowed (on Bruce's side of the bed!).
Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #11

Hi: cheryls... SSSorry drain holes are only in the slider windows . Gee that much humadidity...it must have been pouring!!! In that case I would have the MaxxFan on low blowing out. Sounds like a wee sauna in there . Alf
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #12

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

What a timely topic. We just got back last night from spending five days in Driftwood, TX for the Old Settlers Music Festival. It poured down rain on four of the five days. I was concerned when I noticed that the inside window tracks had a fair amount of wetness/water in them & thought our windows might be leaking. Fortunately, the water never came out of the tracks & is hopefully drying out. Glad to hear that the drain slots were designed for just such purposes & that it isn't a true "leak" problem.

btw - It rained the whole time at last year's festival too. Sure was glad we had Grasshopper this year instead of the tent. It helped minimize the kiddos cabin fever during the extended downpours.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryls
With regard to the fixed back window, I don't see any drain holes at all in ours. When we were camping in 100% humidity in Oregon in November, condensation completely filled up the little trough on the inside of our window. We had to get a big towel and soak it up in the morning and if we had slept in, it would have overflowed (on Bruce's side of the bed!).
Did you get the double paned glass? Suprises me if it happened with the insulated glass, but not with the single pane. Our Casita was single paned and "wept" inside from condensation. I've never seen it with our double paned glass.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

No we didn&#39;t get the double paned glass (probably a mistake). And that weekend on the Oregon coast had just the combination of wetness and cold outside and heat and breathing inside to make the windows drip. We should have at least had the vent open.

Our area averages about 85% humidity and the Escape has been out in it all winter with no problems at all. I doubled over the mattress and moved all the cushions so nothing is touching the walls. I use a couple of Damp Rid containers and a little air circulator/dryer fan thing that I got from West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10702

There&#39;s been no problem with leaking or condensation over the rainy winter and the inside still looks and smells brand new.