exterior propane hookup - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
Decisions, decision......
I was wondering how many of you have that exterior propane quick connect, and how much of your cooking do you do outside, and on what kind of appliance (BBQ, extra burner unit, others I don't yet know about). Glad you got it, use it a lot or don't use it much?
We had it in the 19, and used it all the time. In fact, with the 5.0 I plan to install 2 of them.

We do 95% of our cooking outside. We just enjoy it. Being out with nature is the reason we go camping in the first place. This is what most of our friends and family do as well. When with a group, even though we may cook separate, we usually eat together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
So, curious other than a big juicy steak, hamburgers, hot dogs & veggies what do you cook on the BBQ?
Oh man, we do so much on the BBQ. Baking, roasting, and grilling. Not much you could not do.

Only once in about 3 years of using our BBQ adapted to the QC did we have a need for using it away from the trailer. It took about 60 seconds to put the regulator on to accommodate doing so.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have the quick connect. We use it for a Camp Chef stove with griddle and grill box additions.

If I were to start over, I'd likely skip the quick-connect, though. You get the same functionality by adding a T-connector to your tank, and then you aren't restricted to finding appliances that work with the low pressure.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
External connection

While I have yet to use the external connection for cooking, we do use it
for our portable campfire. The only reason we have not used it for cooking only because I had quite an inventory of the little tanks. Once I'm down on them I'll go to a direct hose hookup. I would definitely get the hookup if I was ordering a new trailer. Which I may do when we wear this one out. Of course I'll be about 100 years old.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
only because I had quite an inventory of the little tanks.
Dave
Me too and I was refilling them from a 100 pound tank. Still, I decided, for me, the 10 pound tank was the way to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; 2015 Silverado 1500 (5.3L, crew cab, standard box, 4X4, max tow, SnugTop shell)
It looks like I'm the outlier here. I have the exterior propane connection, but I've never used it. I like to bring along a couple extra propane containers I bought from Costco for outdoor cooking, etc, and save the two propane tanks on the trailer for heater, refrigerator and stove. However, I have room in my pickup to carry the extra propane, so that makes a difference.

I don't want to risk running out of propane in the trailer while I'm out boondocking, although I've never come close to doing so after many, many nights in the desert. I tend to err on the side of caution, sometimes to a fault. To each their own.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We have a tee for hooking up our grill, etc. I keep it connected to the primary tank under the propane cover. When I use, I pop the top hatch of propane cover and connect the hose. No modifying grills etc required as it uses existing regulators as is. A little more time to hook up. Maybe three minutes. Had it left over from our Casita. $62 on Amazon.

Robot Check
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41swe-gPt1L.jpg (25.1 KB, 26 views)

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With the 19, I had the low pressure quick connect for the BBQ, but as we didn't have a stove that could be converted yet, I used an attachment like Carl shows for high pressure use off one of the bottles. Both do work fine, but the LP QC was just so much faster. For me, this ease is worth using the QC.

If there was a way of using some kind of QC on the high pressure side of the trailer regulator, that is something I would consider.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007
propane

I'm happy to use the external tanks exclusively for heating and all cooking and not carry extra propane tanks inside my trailer or tow vehicle. Propane tanks in confined spaces make me nervous no matter how small they are. To each their own at the end of the day.

If I didn't have the ETI external propane I would go for the direct connection to the tanks on the trailer as others have suggested.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
BC Ferry limits you to two propane tanks.
The high ferry fares, however, limit me to the mainland, so it's not an issue.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With the 19, I had the low pressure quick connect for the BBQ, but as we didn't have a stove that could be converted yet, I used an attachment like Carl shows for high pressure use off one of the bottles. Both do work fine, but the LP QC was just so much faster. For me, this ease is worth using the QC.

If there was a way of using some kind of QC on the high pressure side of the trailer regulator, that is something I would consider.
Tried that once with our Camp Chef oven and it bogged down the flame. Someone who knew about this told me he fixed it by blowing on the line to clear it out and it worked.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote