exterior propane hookup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
exterior propane hookup

Decisions, decision......
I was wondering how many of you have that exterior propane quick connect, and how much of your cooking do you do outside, and on what kind of appliance (BBQ, extra burner unit, others I don't yet know about). Glad you got it, use it a lot or don't use it much?
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have the exterior propane quick connect on my 19'. Use it every single day to cook dinner with the bbq.

Porta Chef grill

Quick disconnect kit
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We use it for a propane fire pit when it's a chilly damp morning in the Pacific NorthWest.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
Thanks for the link to Porta Chef. Looks great! Makes me want to get that option!
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When we were doing our build sheet, we pretty much ordered everything except the oven and screened in porch. We have not used the quick connect yet but are planning to get a propane fire pit. That and the Springfield pedestal are on the shopping list. We have the Weber Q1200 grill but haven't changed it over to use the quick connect yet. But it's there when we want it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We have it and use the WeberQ1000 BBQ and also a propane fire pit. Definitely one of the options we like. With our previous Escape 19 we had a Porta Chef which we also liked. Both BBQs are easily hooked up to low pressure.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
Decisions, decision......
I was wondering how many of you have that exterior propane quick connect, and how much of your cooking do you do outside, and on what kind of appliance (BBQ, extra burner unit, others I don't yet know about). Glad you got it, use it a lot or don't use it much?
Hi: curru... We have the quick connect and use it all the time. When we picked up the trailer we made a side trip to Surrey BC to get a Spitfire 180 BBQ/ with a flame control http://www.dickinsonmarine.com rather than a regulator. Works well with ETI's system and no more little green bottles. Alf
p.s. pic of me overseeing my daughters grilling lesson.
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150831_175220.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We use it with a propane fire pit. With states getting more strict about bringing in wood, propane seems like the way to go.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you do a Google search for "porta chef" in Escapeforum, you'll find lots of discussions of this grill and other appliances that can be connected to the external outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We went with quick connect so we wouldn't have to carry a propane bottle.
We use the quick connect for a small grill and Firebowl.

With the quick connect linked to our trailer tanks I had to learn about low pressure and propane. Important details since I didnt know much about propane.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
I’m probably in the minority here, we have the propane quick connect and have yet to use it.

The tables at some campsites can be quite a distance from the trailer, our little Weber with the green bottles gives us greater flexibility for grill placement.

I’m crazy paranoid about running our on board propane bottles dry with our portable campfire (been there, done it), especially during the colder shoulder seasons when out in the middle of nowhere. Now we take a dedicated propane bottle for the little red campfire.

Just me, but if I had to do it again, I would not miss it. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As usual, we have the minority opinion We use the trailer for 99% of our cooking and once in a long while use the camp stove.

I use it and a propane fire with a 10 lb. tank. I like having the extra small tank because in a pinch it could be hooked up to the trailer.

I've never liked propane fire pits but bought one because of the difficulty sometimes taking wood across borders and restrictions on wood fires. This year I threw a few small twigs on it and I was amazed how it transformed the look of the fire.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2220275_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
we will get the exterior propane hookup for sure

we grill fish and that is *stinky*

so we'll get a grill of some sort... and we have a small table to put it on.

also in CA very few places allow a campfire these days... drought.

sooo nice to hook up the fake campfire.... toast a few marshmallows, chill out, then be able to just turn it off.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have the quick connect. I prefer a 10 lb. tank. Allows me to position the trailer and the BBQ where I want.
I haven't settled on a BBQ yet. I have a Weber baby Q which worked pretty well but doesn't deliver high heat. Got a Dickinson Spitfire which toasted my chicken, even on super low. Dickinson sent me a new regulator under warranty, but I still wasn't happy.
Got a Napoleon now. It has two burners so you can cook indirect. Downside and upside is that it is quite large for a portable. Lid is deep enough for a whole chicken.
Pic 1 is whole chicken on Napoleon, cooked with indirect heat. Pic 2 is charred chicken on Dickinson ( even though I tried to get it off the grill ). Pic 3 is "The Only" salmon on the Weber. Pic 4 is ribs on Weber.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   Spitfire chicken.jpg   The Only.jpg   W pork back ribs.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
So, curious other than a big juicy steak, hamburgers, hot dogs & veggies what do you cook on the BBQ?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
So curious other than a big juicy steak, hamburgers & hot dogs, what do you cook on the BBQ?
Lynn,
Like many people here, we use the QD with a Weber Q100 (older model), a Camp Chef stove, and a fire pit. But your question was about the grill. In addition to all the things you mentioned, we use the Weber like an oven. We have found if you turn it to high and close the lid for 10 minutes to "preheat," you can make cornbread, brownies, cookies, etc. if you put them on the grill, close the lid, and "bake" according to the time indicated on the package. We rarely cook anything inside unless it is raining, and then we nuke something. The grill is used for 90% of our cooking.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Pic 3 is "The Only" salmon on the Weber. Pic 4 is ribs on Weber.
Oh man, shouldn't look at photos like that just before lunch time when you're hungry.

Got anything on the grill right now?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
One of the best options we got. I got a QC-Y connector so I can run two appliances at the same time. Use the Weber Q1000 and Camp Chef Ranger II stove with a Camp Chef propane fire pit for evenings. All the appliance run way better for some reason after removing the regulators and converting them to the QC. We cook almost everything outside with the exception of the morning coffee in an old style percolator.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We're with Glenn and Ron,
We carry an extra propane tank just for the grill and our old Coleman camp stove. It allows us to cook wherever we want, and not be tethered or tripped up by a hose. And we don't worry about the trailer tanks running low.

We have a Costco grill mfd. by Duro (a commercial range mfr.). They are an unadvertised special in some Costcos, right now, for $99. I don't remember the brand name they're sold under, but the quality is good, the price is right, and they provide great heat capacity.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We're with Glenn and Ron,
We carry an extra propane tank just for the grill and our old Coleman camp stove. It allows us to cook wherever we want, and not be tethered or tripped up by a hose. And we don't worry about the trailer tanks running low.

We have a Costco grill mfd. by Duro (a commercial range mfr.). They are an unadvertised special in some Costcos, right now, for $99. I don't remember the brand name they're sold under, but the quality is good, the price is right, and they provide great heat capacity.
I have the Costco Duro portable grill it is marketed under NXR brand. It is 2 burner 20,000 BTU all stainless. I took the supplied regulator and hose off and hooked it right up to the exterior ETI propane connection and works great. Got to have 2 burners as far as I'm concerned.

I also used the exterior propane connection with an Outback Mega firebowl last year during the fire bans and it also worked great. Same drill just take off the supplied hose and regulator and hook right up to the ETI supplied hose.