exterior propane hookup - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
Decisions, decision......
I was wondering how many of you have that exterior propane quick connect, and how much of your cooking do you do outside, and on what kind of appliance (BBQ, extra burner unit, others I don't yet know about). Glad you got it, use it a lot or don't use it much?
We had it in the 19, and used it all the time. In fact, with the 5.0 I plan to install 2 of them.

We do 95% of our cooking outside. We just enjoy it. Being out with nature is the reason we go camping in the first place. This is what most of our friends and family do as well. When with a group, even though we may cook separate, we usually eat together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
So, curious other than a big juicy steak, hamburgers, hot dogs & veggies what do you cook on the BBQ?
Oh man, we do so much on the BBQ. Baking, roasting, and grilling. Not much you could not do.

Only once in about 3 years of using our BBQ adapted to the QC did we have a need for using it away from the trailer. It took about 60 seconds to put the regulator on to accommodate doing so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have the quick connect. We use it for a Camp Chef stove with griddle and grill box additions.

If I were to start over, I'd likely skip the quick-connect, though. You get the same functionality by adding a T-connector to your tank, and then you aren't restricted to finding appliances that work with the low pressure.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
External connection

While I have yet to use the external connection for cooking, we do use it
for our portable campfire. The only reason we have not used it for cooking only because I had quite an inventory of the little tanks. Once I'm down on them I'll go to a direct hose hookup. I would definitely get the hookup if I was ordering a new trailer. Which I may do when we wear this one out. Of course I'll be about 100 years old.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
only because I had quite an inventory of the little tanks.
Dave
Me too and I was refilling them from a 100 pound tank. Still, I decided, for me, the 10 pound tank was the way to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
It looks like I'm the outlier here. I have the exterior propane connection, but I've never used it. I like to bring along a couple extra propane containers I bought from Costco for outdoor cooking, etc, and save the two propane tanks on the trailer for heater, refrigerator and stove. However, I have room in my pickup to carry the extra propane, so that makes a difference.

I don't want to risk running out of propane in the trailer while I'm out boondocking, although I've never come close to doing so after many, many nights in the desert. I tend to err on the side of caution, sometimes to a fault. To each their own.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We have a tee for hooking up our grill, etc. I keep it connected to the primary tank under the propane cover. When I use, I pop the top hatch of propane cover and connect the hose. No modifying grills etc required as it uses existing regulators as is. A little more time to hook up. Maybe three minutes. Had it left over from our Casita. $62 on Amazon.

Robot Check
Attached Thumbnails
41swe-gPt1L.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #27

With the 19, I had the low pressure quick connect for the BBQ, but as we didn't have a stove that could be converted yet, I used an attachment like Carl shows for high pressure use off one of the bottles. Both do work fine, but the LP QC was just so much faster. For me, this ease is worth using the QC.

If there was a way of using some kind of QC on the high pressure side of the trailer regulator, that is something I would consider.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
propane

I'm happy to use the external tanks exclusively for heating and all cooking and not carry extra propane tanks inside my trailer or tow vehicle. Propane tanks in confined spaces make me nervous no matter how small they are. To each their own at the end of the day.

If I didn't have the ETI external propane I would go for the direct connection to the tanks on the trailer as others have suggested.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BC Ferry limits you to two propane tanks.
The high ferry fares, however, limit me to the mainland, so it's not an issue.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With the 19, I had the low pressure quick connect for the BBQ, but as we didn't have a stove that could be converted yet, I used an attachment like Carl shows for high pressure use off one of the bottles. Both do work fine, but the LP QC was just so much faster. For me, this ease is worth using the QC.

If there was a way of using some kind of QC on the high pressure side of the trailer regulator, that is something I would consider.
Tried that once with our Camp Chef oven and it bogged down the flame. Someone who knew about this told me he fixed it by blowing on the line to clear it out and it worked.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
So, curious other than a big juicy steak, hamburgers, hot dogs & veggies what do you cook on the BBQ?
Hi Lynn,
My all time favorite is a skin on salmon fillet. Tail fillets are best.
Rub fish fillet with olive oil, sprinkle on seasonings, let rest 10 minutes or so ,
Place on grill skin side down ... medium heat (if using charcoal ... indirect heat side)add thumb diameter size 10" alder limb -remove bark ... fresh is best , close lid. A white fat will ooze out when near done ... let this just think of drying out .... you are done! Pretty simple .... no flipping required. The skin keeps the flesh from burning.

Second favorite is skin on chicken breasts.

Third favorite ... frog legs and bellys .... but that is another story.

Tom
Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #32

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have the quick connect but I only use it for my campfire in a can. I still can't get it to work with my stove or Weber grill. I bought an adapter but I have not been successful!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:31 AM   #33

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
propane

Your weber/ stove are probably looking for higher pressure than the ETI external propane supply QC delivers. Most portable BBQ's etc have a regulator built in that already reduces the pressure from the cylinders, so the low pressure delivered from the ETI QC will not work.

If there is a regulator on the appliance you are trying to hook up to the ETI QC propane then you need to get that out of the line, otherwise you will not get any gas to the appliance.

But you need to pick a BBQ that has flame control separate from the regulator. If they are together then it won't work.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Me too and I was refilling them from a 100 pound tank. Still, I decided, for me, the 10 pound tank was the way to go.

Ron
Going to get a 10 lb tank too , so we will be in the minority club . Yay ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
First time testing the QC was at the Quartzsite gathering this Feb. Over the week, I ran the propane fire pit 6 of the 7 nights for an avg of 3 hours a night, cooked all meals using bbq and stove, cooked chorizo/egg breakfast burritos for the masses all week, and my daughter made sopapilla's for the masses on Sat on the camp stove. Used the furnace some and water heater every day for shower. Only used 1 of the two tanks over the 7 days. This was an intentional test week for how the QC would perform and how much it used. I'm no longer worried about running out of propane with the 2 tanks on the tongue and using the QC for the appliances along with other normal uses. I used to carry a 3rd propane tank in a milk carton base, but very happy now that I can eliminate it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Such great assistance everyone! Much appreciated!
We will go with the QC, propane fire pit and a small BBQ!
StarvingHyena, that salmon sounds devine!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
A white fat will ooze out when near done ...
Tom, if you slow the cooking down a bit, this white ooze will not happen, and instead stay as flavour in the meat. My wife taught me this last year.

The recipe sounds great. Lisa cooks lots of salmon, at least once a week. We would have it more if it was not so darn expensive to buy here.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Your weber/ stove are probably looking for higher pressure than the ETI external propane supply QC delivers. Most portable BBQ's etc have a regulator built in that already reduces the pressure from the cylinders, so the low pressure delivered from the ETI QC will not work.

If there is a regulator on the appliance you are trying to hook up to the ETI QC propane then you need to get that out of the line, otherwise you will not get any gas to the appliance.

But you need to pick a BBQ that has flame control separate from the regulator. If they are together then it won't work.
Lynn, this was the low pressure and propane issue I was writing about earlier in this thread. I was on a huge learning curve. I had to take the regulators off both the Firebowl and my small grill.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #39

Trailer: None yet
Another recipe for grilled salmon, or several other fish....
1/3 ground or minced ginger
1/3 olive oil
1/3 soy sauce
Marinade then grill as normal
As one of my grandkids used to say.....So yummy, so yummy, it's a party in my tummy....
Solowalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #40

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
So, let me get this straight- The QC has it's own regulator? So I can't run my Honda propane generator off it?
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote