Extra insulation package - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Extra insulation package

Does anyone know what the "Extra Insulation" is in the upgraded insulation package, other than the dual pane windows?

The reason I ask is when we ordered our 2018 19, I ordered all the insulation upgrades. I was under the understanding that the extra insulation was an extra layer of insulation on walls and ceiling.

The other day, I was replacing one of my LED ceiling lights with a factory replacement and was surprised and dismayed that the only insulation on the ceiling is the foam backing on the vinyl. Isn't the upgrade supposed to add another layer?

I asked this question to Escape but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you watch the Escape construction video https://youtu.be/Wi6_KR_n_As. You can see they put the extra insulation between the roof and the inside plywood. This makes for a smooth looking roof inside.
Here is a few screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
1739F79B-573F-446C-8A9D-DD5093C5E0A4.jpg   E0648DA9-434D-4CAD-B72D-0E51819E3B4F.jpg   54266D0F-F5A7-45D7-BC03-705A0321965A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
what I can see under my bed and under the dinette benches, looks like 2 layers of reflectix over a layer or two of black neoprene foam. ours has the 2014 version of the extra insulation. stays nice and cozy on cold nights, heater barely has to cycle to keep it comfortable inside when its freezing outside.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Does anyone know what the "Extra Insulation" is in the upgraded insulation package, other than the dual pane windows?

The reason I ask is when we ordered our 2018 19, I ordered all the insulation upgrades. I was under the understanding that the extra insulation was an extra layer of insulation on walls and ceiling.

The other day, I was replacing one of my LED ceiling lights with a factory replacement and was surprised and dismayed that the only insulation on the ceiling is the foam backing on the vinyl. Isn't the upgrade supposed to add another layer?

I asked this question to Escape but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks
The extra insulation should be a layer of white foam insulation under the vinyl/black foam outer layer everywhere except the ceiling. The ceiling will be just the vinyl/black foam with the white foam above the plywood.

pic courtesy of Jim Bennett
Attached Thumbnails
Wall cutout.jpg  
Old 03-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I wonder if ETI would ever consider offering aerogel insulation as an option. Expensive, but incredible insulative properties vs a traditional foam.

https://www.aerogel.com/_resources/c...tasheet-EN.pdf
Old 03-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Does anyone know what's the R value for the extra thermo insulation on the walls and ceiling?
phsw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
what I can see under my bed and under the dinette benches, looks like 2 layers of reflectix over a layer or two of black neoprene foam. ours has the 2014 version of the extra insulation. stays nice and cozy on cold nights, heater barely has to cycle to keep it comfortable inside when its freezing outside.

We have a 2018 21 with "extra" insulation. Under the bed and benches there is just the single layer of the extra foam. We spent a few weeks this past February with morning temps around -7C (20F) and found it very cold. At night with the temp set at around 8C the furnace was coming on every 15 minutes. The insulation is the only disappointment we have with the escape, but it is a major one. Dare I say our old stick built was better insulated with just an air gap in the wall.

I plan to add insulation under the bed and benches and hope that helps. Maybe I will try the aerogel mentioned here.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
One thing I did on our 19’ was to add pink board to different areas under the bed & block off air infiltration from different parts of the trailer. Put duct seal in furnace compartment around plumbing vent pipe. Put pink board under IKEA mattress support, the open areas behind the cabinets can radiate the cold into adjoining heated space, made backer rod plugs for weep hole slots in windows. Mods seem to work pretty good & added to making it a bit quieter.
It’s easier to find the source of drafts when it’s cold out.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I added yoga mats under the mattress and dinette cushions. They've really made a difference.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by canakiwi View Post
We have a 2018 21 with "extra" insulation. Under the bed and benches there is just the single layer of the extra foam. We spent a few weeks this past February with morning temps around -7C (20F) and found it very cold. At night with the temp set at around 8C the furnace was coming on every 15 minutes. The insulation is the only disappointment we have with the escape, but it is a major one. Dare I say our old stick built was better insulated with just an air gap in the wall.

I plan to add insulation under the bed and benches and hope that helps. Maybe I will try the aerogel mentioned here.
When we got home after pickup , went to Lowe's . Bought roll of reflex and silver tape and covered again everything I could reach . The dinette benches was the easiest to do . The front window on our 19 is only single pane . Lined the opening top with uv plastic left over from our green house . That also helps with wrinkling of that lid besides helping keep heat in . Put some insulation material in outside shower also. Have dual pane windows in trailer but also for heat or cold , cut reflex and placed in each window which we just can remove , they just sit in frame and blind pulled down helps them stay put. . At door lose a lot of heat or cold comes in . A springloaded curtain rod with a lined curtain helps with that at door . Just some ideas . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
good idea for the door issue....it is supposed to be insulated but a hanging curtain would help.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
good idea for the door issue....it is supposed to be insulated but a hanging curtain would help.
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
Some great ideas here, thanks for that. I have roll of refelx doing nothing, so will put it to use immediately.