fabric question- sunbrella lanai lagoon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Question fabric question- sunbrella lanai lagoon

Has anyone used subrella lanai lagoon for their fabric choice?
If so, would you mind posting a picture so that I can see it. I have a sample,
but I am very visual, and would like to see it on the dinette cushions.
thank you,
Jennifer Quirk
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
If you're really serious about this fabric, I'd suggest purchasing a yard of it. It'll be way bigger than any sample you get from a company. You can drape it across your couch to get a feel for how it looks, as well as sitting on it. I put a bunch of pillow fabrics next to my sample so I could see what would work with it.

I got a yard off ebay, so you should check there first. Here ya go:

FLORAL Sunbrella Fabric By the Yard | eBay

and then put in your fabric choice.

Now this is interesting. I went to Patio Lane's site, which is where I got mine from and it says it can only be ordered for showrooms and cushions, which is stated for every fabric within that collection. Guess you can't order it directly off their site. Give 'em a call.

Search results for: 'lanai lagoon' - Patio Lane

Fun looking fabric! Good luck in your decision.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thank you!
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Casita
We're looking at the same fabric. Looks great in cushions. Would you share your choices on Formica and flooring?
smanitou
smanitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
What attributes does Sumbrella possess that are not found in the standard factory fabric. Discounting availabe colors / aesthetics ,
is Sunbrella more durable , fade resistant , have a better feel , easier to clean , more stain resistant Etc ?. The reviews I've read mainly are based on how the fabric looks but little about how the fabric performs .
After having to replace the cushion covers in my Scamp due to wear , and fraying of the fabric , I am more concerned about wearability than being visually pleasing to the eye.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What attributes does Sumbrella possess that are not found in the standard factory fabric. Discounting availabe colors / aesthetics ,
is Sunbrella more durable , fade resistant , have a better feel , easier to clean , more stain resistant Etc ?. The reviews I've read mainly are based on how the fabric looks but little about how the fabric performs .
After having to replace the cushion covers in my Scamp due to wear , and fraying of the fabric , I am more concerned about wearability than being visually pleasing to the eye.
I've never had problems with Sunbrella; depending on the fabric you will have either a 5 or 10 year warranty that covers about everything that could happen. You can download the warranty PDF here: https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/warranty

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Actually, I believe you are giving up wear factors. Most people are choosing Sunbrella upholstery fabric, not outdoor or awning fabrics. While you have many colors and patterns to choose from and Sunbrella has moisture and uv resistance, its "double rub" characteristics, I believe are around 50,000+ which is good for an upholstery fabric. However, I remember Tammy telling me that their commercial grade, standard fabric is 200,000+ double rubs. You can check with Tammy on that. There is no doubt, that the standard fabric will outperform the standard Sunbrella over time. You have to decide just how much wear the cushions are going to get and if you like the standard color/pattern.

Based on over 4 years of use now, I CAN recommend, as I have in previous posts, that, regardless of fabric that you have the cushions done in ALL fabric. I would never again have the vinyl on the bottom as it is less than $4 / yard fabric and the sewing causes actual punctures in the material (unlike fabric where the needle goes between the weave) and sets them up for failure. So, don't pay for a $30/yard cover fabric that has a $4/yard vinyl backing. Just saying...
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Interesting. I'm not saying the 200K double rub count is wrong, but a commercial grade upholstery fabric is considered extra heavy duty with only 30k double rubs, and is suitable for places like hospital waiting rooms, restaurants and movie theaters. It would seem to me that 50k double rub wear rating (as is the case with our sunbrella upholstery fabric) is way more durability than required for the kind of use it gets in a trailer.

We'll probably tire of the color and pattern and change it out long before it's required due to wear.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Actually, I believe you are giving up wear factors. Most people are choosing Sunbrella upholstery fabric, not outdoor or awning fabrics. While you have many colors and patterns to choose from and Sunbrella has moisture and uv resistance, its "double rub" characteristics, I believe are around 50,000+ which is good for an upholstery fabric. However, I remember Tammy telling me that their commercial grade, standard fabric is 200,000+ double rubs. You can check with Tammy on that. There is no doubt, that the standard fabric will outperform the standard Sunbrella over time. You have to decide just how much wear the cushions are going to get and if you like the standard color/pattern.

Based on over 4 years of use now, I CAN recommend, as I have in previous posts, that, regardless of fabric that you have the cushions done in ALL fabric. I would never again have the vinyl on the bottom as it is less than $4 / yard fabric and the sewing causes actual punctures in the material (unlike fabric where the needle goes between the weave) and sets them up for failure. So, don't pay for a $30/yard cover fabric that has a $4/yard vinyl backing. Just saying...
Thank you , you have answered my question .
My wife is not unhappy with the standard fabric color but did say she wanted fabric on all sides of the cushions.
One less thing to fret over .
Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Interesting. I'm not saying the 200K double rub count is wrong, but a commercial grade upholstery fabric is considered extra heavy duty with only 30k double rubs, and is suitable for places like hospital waiting rooms, restaurants and movie theaters. It would seem to me that 50k double rub wear rating (as is the case with our sunbrella upholstery fabric) is way more durability than required for the kind of use it gets in a trailer.

We'll probably tire of the color and pattern and change it out long before it's required due to wear.
Oh, I don't disagree, hence the last sentence in my first paragraph. Our trailers aren't like waiting rooms, (well, that is except in unusually wet weather where we are cooling our heels inside )

We have Sunbrella, but the bigger wear factor is still the very inexpensive under layer of vinyl. Since Sunbrella is water resistant and mildew resistant, you have nothing to lose getting the entire cushion covered, PLUS the ability to reverse them IF you ever do see any wear.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Your'e going to get Laura fired up! She ordered all fabric for her Escape and sent the extra material. Escape returned the extra fabric and put vinyl backing on her cushions.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Yeah, we got all sides fabric, Tim, based largely on recommendations from the forum.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Your'e going to get Laura fired up! She ordered all fabric for her Escape and sent the extra material. Escape returned the extra fabric and put vinyl backing on her cushions.
Shhhhh.....
Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Steve, I can give you an example of why I'm sold on Sunbrella. Our patio furniture was sold as top of the line, and we paid thousands for it. Within a year, the upholstery was shot. It began to disintegrate and the fading was horrible. I found a company that would build new cushions with sunbrella upholstery for less than $600. We've been using those remade cushions now for about 7 years. They still look practically new, and have only required an occasional scrub and rinse. Not even a tiny bit of fading, and they sit in filtered sunlight most of the time. Sunbrella is a tight weave, extremely durable, and fade free.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
leather perhaps....
Thank you ; We weren't aware that leather was one of the available options ! My wife and I will have to give that option some thought and serious consideration.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #16

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Thank you ; We weren't aware that leather was one of the available options ! My wife and I will have to give that option some thought and serious consideration.
was thinking of that type of leather used in vehicles....probably available in upholstery shops and you may have to do this with third party and not ETI..prefer leather in a house but the other campers here have more experience with what's good/bad in a trailer though..
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Go to the Sailrite webpage and look at the UltraLeather. This is not Naugahyde. This is a synthetic that looks and acts like leather with some additional benefits. UltraLeather is often used in many of the really high end motor coaches.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
All about double rubs. Be sure to check out each fabric even with in a brand some of Sunbrellas are twice as much as others, I thought the Dupione would have more than the thinner looking Canvas, but I was very wrong.
I have had the Dupione and the Canvas on upholstry out in the rain near my pool in the long hot Texas direct sun for 4-6 years and they still look brand new. Another great brand is Outdura that has more double rubs in their Dupione fabric than Sunbrella. I like the fact that they are also mildew resistant. and water and stain resistant, You can even put bleach on them because the fabrics are dyed through and through.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sunbrella is a company, it's NOT the fabric. When you are on the website, even Sailrite, pay attention to the details. NOT every Sunbrella (or Sailrite) fabric is what you may want. THEN there's "Denier" which is the number of threads per inch (that's generic). There's UV ratings. I purchased the upholstery fabric for Ten Forward, based on Denier and other factors. As is said "The Devil is in the Details."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Although in the past I have had good success with Sunbrella, this time I am ordering OUTDURA. I googled Sunbrella vrs and Outdura and this is the article I foundl I was surprised that they originated their purchases of fibers from the same company but then see what happens. A very interesting read.

Outdura™ vs. Sunbrella® Fabrics
Posted on September 23, 2015 by bigduckcanvas
Most people aren’t exactly sure what Solution Dyed Acrylic is, but it seems everyone has heard of Sunbrella® Fabrics. People don’t typically ask about Solution Dyed Acrylic, they ask for Sunbrella® by name. So, nice job Sunbrella® on that end. Solution dyed acrylic is the go to fiber for awnings, umbrellas, marine uses, patio furniture and more! We weren’t sure if we wanted to carry Sunbrella® or Oudura™, so we did a little of our own research.
sunbrella vs outdura

Solution Dyed Acrylic Fiber – There are only 2 producers of the solution dyed acrylic fiber in the world. A company called Dolan produces the most. Sunbrella® and Outdura™ both get their fibers from these two producers. Outdura™ ONLY uses Dolan fiber for a more consistent product. These fiber producers are where the 10 year warranty comes from, so Sunbrella® and Outdura™ both offer the same warranty protections.

Weaving & Finishing – Once Outdura and Sunbrella have procured their fibers the weaving and finishing takes place. Sunbrella® has lightened up there weave density over the years and many reviews express frustration that the Sunbrella® fabric stretched over time. Depending on what you are making stretch may not be a concern, but it seems they have gained a reputation for this flaw in their fabric. Outdura™ offers a very heavy, densely woven 9.5oz fabric and a lighter 8oz weight created specifically for home decor applications, indoor or outdoor. It is a lighter, so its easier to sew than their traditional awning fabric. As far as fading goes there is no difference between Sunbrella® and Outdura™, since the fibers are basically coming from the same place.

Country of Origin – If you do a search to find out where Sunbrella® is made you will find ” Made in the USA or Imported”. This is because a great deal of Sunbrella® is being made in China. Outdura™ is the only company who can claim their product is 100% Made in the USA. Many of our customers are manufacturing finished products, so that Made in USA label is really important.

Price – Solution Dyed Acrylic is pricey. IT JUST IS. Since the fiber is made one place and sold to another for finishing there are some serious costs there that get passed on. Luckily, these fabrics really perform and there is nothing like it. Oudura™ is actually a couple dollars less per yard for a Made in the USA fabric.

Conclusion- I guess you see where we are going with this. We really wanted to like Sunbrella® From a marketing & sales prospective it would be far easier for us to sell Sunbrella® based on the brand recognition alone. We just cant ignore that Oudura™ is leading this market is several ways and has the edge over Sunbrella® in our opinion. No doubt about it, Sunbrella is a quality fabric that will last a long time (minus the stretching issue). At Big Duck Canvas however; we are excited to offer Oudura™ . If you have any questions or would like a free sample we are happy to help!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote