Fastway e2 wdh? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 03:29 AM   #61

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
What's a jack e up?
Never mind just googled it
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Jack-E-UP described here Jack-E-Up is a way to remove your tongue jack, once hooked up which allows the rear of your tow vehicle or truck tailgate to open. You remove the 3 bolts holding the tongue jack, install the bottom part to the frame using the same holes, attach the top part to your jack using supplied bolts and slip your jack down and twist to use, untwist and remove. I have been using one for years.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I don't know if my comment belongs here or elsewhere, but yesterday I replaced the Andersen with an Equilizer hitch, which is the original American made version of the Fastway E2. Dennis installed our Andersen at the ETI factory, and through no fault of his, it didn't have enough adjustment to get our 19 quite level, nor our softly-sprung Highlander. The 19 was about an inch low in the front, and the Highlander squatted down more in the rear than I wanted. Used with a more stiffly sprung tow vehicle with a higher hitch, I think the Andersen would have been okay. Otherwise, I liked using the Andersen and appreciated their service. We've used it for 20K miles. It's due for a new friction cone, which I intend to install and then I'll probably post it for sale.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #64

An inch low is better than and inch high on the trailer but level is the ideal set up. If you had too much squat then the conventional w/d is better suited for that, whereas the Andersen is better with sway. I had good luck using air bags or adding fresh water in the trailer rear tank to eliminate tow vehicle squat.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #65

Understand. I thought about air bags and decided not to go into unknown territory (for me). I think the Equilizer's sway control with the sliding bars will be more than adequate.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I don't know if my comment belongs here or elsewhere, but yesterday I replaced the Andersen with an Equilizer hitch, which is the original American made version of the Fastway E2.
Not quite. Progress Manufacturing owns both Equal-i-zer and Fastway, and sells the original Equal-i-zer design under that name, plus the E2 as a Fastway. The Equal-i-zer and E2 have the same frame bracket setup (with deliberate sliding friction), but entirely different heads: the E2 has a conventional WD head (available in both trunnion and round bar configurations), while the unique feature of the Equal-i-zer is what they call their "tri-wing" head - a setup that clamps the bar sockets (like those of a typical trunnion design) between flanges on the head to provide more frictional resistance to turning (for sway damping). They're not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Dennis installed our Andersen at the ETI factory, and through no fault of his, it didn't have enough adjustment to get our 19 quite level, nor our softly-sprung Highlander. The 19 was about an inch low in the front, and the Highlander squatted down more in the rear than I wanted. Used with a more stiffly sprung tow vehicle with a higher hitch, I think the Andersen would have been okay.
I don't know how an Andersen No-Sway can run out of adjustment. Were the nuts all the way to ends of the threads? This system can apply a huge amount of torque - maybe not enough to shift several hundred pounds between axles when towing a trailer with half a ton of tongue weight, but lots for any Escape.

It should always be possible to level the trailer. If the trailer was an inch low, then the head should have been moved up a position on the rack. If the rack was in the down position and the top was reached, the rack should have been flipped up. With the very low receiver position on my Sienna a ball mount must be used in the rise position, and 1.25" ball mounts with enough rise are hard to find... but with a Highlander's higher receiver (and a Tacoma's much higher receiver) this should not be an issue. There's an Andersen No-Sway rack with 8 inches of rise.

On the other hand, proper WD adjustment may not bring the back of a tug up as much as desired, if it is really soft. The solution to that is air suspension in the tug, but unfortunately the air bags (for inside the coil springs) which are the easiest type don't work with the Highlander's suspension. The Tacoma is entirely different, and add-on air springs work fine with it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #67

Hi Brian. I wasn't aware of the difference; I just went by the local, well-trusted hitch place telling me that the E2 is an Asian-made knockoff of the US Equalizer. I didn't try to verify that, but based on what you're describing about the design, I'm doubly happy with my choice.

I understand what you're saying about the Andersen installation. We have the tallest rack, and the ball housing is set in the highest position. Unfortunately, the aftermarket Reese hitch on the Highlander comes out under the body of the car, not through it like a real Toyota installation. There was no practical way to get it any higher. The chains were installed in their proper positions on frame rails, and as instructed by Dennis, I tightened until seven threads showed, resulting in considerable compression of the elastomer springs. At this point, the deep socket provided by Anderson was bottoming out on the studs. I just didn't see a practical way forward without a lot of fiddling around, so I went for the Equalizer to cut my losses and hopefully solve this problem for good. Looking at the result, I think I accomplished that. Thanks for jumping in. I appreciate your comments.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Anybody used the Husky Centerline TS? From what I have read online, it is a clone of the Equalizer without the noise issue and less cost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W919GLM...=IK1VQ19YBZHGG

I like that it has better sway control than the E2 - similar to the Equalizer in function.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #69

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Anybody used the Husky Centerline TS? From what I have read online, it is a clone of the Equalizer without the noise issue and less cost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W919GLM...=IK1VQ19YBZHGG

I like that it has better sway control than the E2 - similar to the Equalizer in function.
I agree that this looks like a copy of the Equal-i-zer. That makes this statement by Husky (posted on that Amazon page) hilarious:
Quote:
The New Centerline TS has been in development by Husky’s engineering team for nearly three years. We brought advanced design, the latest in technology and materials science to a product that greatly improves the towing experience.
Yeah, right...

But why would it make any less noise than an Equal-i-zer? The only difference I see is that the frame brackets have a couple of posts that the Equal-i-zer doesn't so the L-shaped retaining clip doesn't rub on the bar:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #70

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Hitch Weight

Obviously a WDH has to perform several tasks well, be easy to hook up and hopefully do the job quietly. There sure is a range of opinions on which one does it the best. One of the things that made sense to me about the Andersen hitches was their weight. It seems that if one can pull 50 pounds or more off the bumper of lighter tow vehicles it has to help. That, plus when installing or removing a hitch the lighter options would seem preferable. The E2 apparently is quite light but I question Amazon's claim that model 94-00-0600 is only 30 pounds. I haven't found a site that compares the weight of hitches but the old pros on this Forum might be able to help.
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #71

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandS View Post
Obviously a WDH has to perform several tasks well, be easy to hook up and hopefully do the job quietly. There sure is a range of opinions on which one does it the best. One of the things that made sense to me about the Andersen hitches was their weight. It seems that if one can pull 50 pounds or more off the bumper of lighter tow vehicles it has to help. That, plus when installing or removing a hitch the lighter options would seem preferable. The E2 apparently is quite light but I question Amazon's claim that model 94-00-0600 is only 30 pounds. I haven't found a site that compares the weight of hitches but the old pros on this Forum might be able to help.
Amazon lists the shipping weight as 81# in the Additional Information....
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #72

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Fastway E2 Model

Can anyone tell me the model for the weight distribution hitch ETI sells with the 21'? I have done some searching on here but cannot find it.
Thanks in advance for your help
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #73

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Finally gave in and decided to get an equalizer. The back end of my Dodge is rather light and sags a bit after loading kayaks, generator, extra water, gas grill, camp fire, table, etc. A half ton pickup is overkill for towing Escape trailers but some fine tuning would improve my driving experience. My goal was to bring the back end up, reduce the porpoising on rolling roads, and also reduce the sway I get in deep asphalt ruts. The Fastway E2 hitch has built in sway control. I believe that the model supplied by Escape as an option ($625 CAD installed) has the square bars. The square bars sit a bit higher if clearance is an issue. Walmart.com in the States has the round bar model (94-00-0600) for $250 USD. I ordered it in and picked it up in Bellingham. The website is oriented to US orders so I gave them a Puerto Rico zip code. Nobody blinked. Installation is a pain. You need huge wrenches not found in standard tool box kits. I had to redo the install because the first time around I followed the suggested shim size and ended up with the lowest part of the hitch @ 6” above the pavement. I removed some shims after a weekend of travel and ended up with 9” clearance. The hitch seemed to work as advertised and as a bonus, my tailgate now clears the jack. I’ve attached pics of both my first and second install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hitch Set Up One.pdf (172.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: pdf Hitch Set Up Two.pdf (141.6 KB, 40 views)
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #74

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Thanks Dave. I was thinking of getting it installed at the local RV dealer and you convinced me that is what to do. I saw the 6K on Amazon for $300 something. I'll have to check out Walmart too.
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #75

Dave,
Did you ever install Firestone airbags to help with the squat? I'd be interested in the porpoising elimination.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Dave,
Did you ever install Firestone airbags to help with the squat? I'd be interested in the porpoising elimination.
No airbags allowed in my rig Seemed to be less porpoising with the equalizer.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #77

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Dave,
We installed the Firestone airbags in our 2013 Dodge Ram w/hemi and it has made a huge improvement. We can deflate it to the regular driving style or inflate it for when we have a particularly large load in the back of the truck ie: firewood, kayaks plus random items we think we need
Huge improvement!!! Wish we would have done it sooner.
grape_escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #78

Same results here on both my Rams, keeps it level while towing.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #79

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Fastway E2 or Pro Series WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca56 View Post
Hello, Since ETI recently started offering the Fastway E2. Is anyone with a 21 using this hitch? Are you happy with your choice? if you have a pick up will the tailgate open? (We have a chevy Silverado)
Thanks, Kevin
Still debating between which WDH to add to my build sheet (Fastway E2 or the Pro Series). I came across this thread that Kevin started 2 years ago soon after ETI started offering the E2. Now that a few years have passed I was wondering what people that have them think of the E2. I am leaning towards the Pro Series but I still may change to the E2.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #80

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I went with the E2 and have been pleased with it. A bit easier & faster than the chain type bars since you don't have to count links. I did switch from the original retaining clips to "spring ring" clips (I have no idea what they are actually called) because they are easier use.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0539.jpg