Fastway e2 wdh? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Nash 23.5A, Escape 21 coming in March
Fastway e2 wdh?

Hello, Since ETI recently started offering the Fastway E2. Is anyone with a 21 using this hitch? Are you happy with your choice? if you have a pick up will the tailgate open? (We have a chevy Silverado)
Thanks, Kevin
Baca56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am also interested in feedback from anyone using this WDH to replace my Andersen. Seems to get very good ratings on etrailer.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
A WDH is an option that can easily be added later. I am giving the Andersen one more chance from the sleeve failing at around 3,000 miles. There probably are very few of these Fastway hitches out on Escapes as the switch over was starting in mid Sept. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I too like the design of the Fastway E2 - lets hope someone here has some feedback for us.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Are the "arms" lighter weight on the Fastway than that of the ones with chains?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Are the "arms" lighter weight on the Fastway than that of the ones with chains?
There is no reason that they should be. They are the same working length, and so they need to apply the same force to do the same amount of load transfer (weight re-distribution). They are just like any other round-bar WDH bars, with flat ends (some other brands with chains have flat ends, too).

The e2 bars might even be a bit heavier if they are longer so that they don't pull out the of the brackets in turns (since it doesn't have chains to keep things connected).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca56 View Post
Hello, Since ETI recently started offering the Fastway E2. Is anyone with a 21 using this hitch? Are you happy with your choice? if you have a pick up will the tailgate open? (We have a chevy Silverado)
Thanks, Kevin
We have it on our 21 (picked up Sept 25, 2015). It was a snap decision and I guess we like it okay. The mount has slipped once, probably because of maneuvering to get out of a tight gas station driveway. It was difficult to get it to unhook that night. Had to release the driver's side mount (where it's clamped to the trailer)...

And, no, we cannot open our 2013 Ford F-150 tailgate when the 21 is hitched up. It's because of the tongue jack, though, not the hitch. And, yes, it's very inconvenient, but what're you gonna do?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

And, no, we cannot open our 2013 Ford F-150 tailgate when the 21 is hitched up. It's because of the tongue jack, though, not the hitch. And, yes, it's very inconvenient, but what're you gonna do?
What I did:
New Home – Jack-E-Up
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Hey, that's a great product! I've bookmarked their site. Thanks for the info.

I've got the Fastway hitch on my build sheet.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have decided to replace my Andersen with the Pro Series. Had it with the 17B and like many others here never had a problem with it. The Andersen had significant wear issues in the chain guides and creaked pretty bad.

The Pro Series Escape now sells is the trunnion which will have better clearance than the round bars they sold previously for those who need that and is said by Etrailer to be a bit stouter. The shipping weight is 4 lbs. more than the Fastway.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
so anyone else using the Fastway e2 wdh?

ETI says it is the best choice for the bigger trailers they sell - such as the 21' we will be ordering soon.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
It is probably overkill for my trailer but since my first and not knowing what I'd need I went for the E2 wdh. Will pick up end of April so will find out then.

Jeff
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Any labor savings with a wdh is worth exploring. The downside for us of going from a 19 to a 21 is using a wdh. Dread it, greasy hands, etc. We used a single bar Reese on my Casita/Tacoma. Since the tounge weight is roughly similar as a Casita, I'm wondering if anybody has used a single bar hitch. It was fine with half the grease and hassle.

G
Attached Thumbnails
61r9n5htU+L._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Andersen has no grease nor bars, just 2 lightweight chains.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I have bars on the pro series, but haven't run into any grease. Am I supposed to have messy grease?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
We used a single bar Reese on my Casita/Tacoma. Since the tounge weight is roughly similar as a Casita, I'm wondering if anybody has used a single bar hitch.
That design always made a lot of sense to me, but it seems to have disappeared from the Reese WD product range, although it is offered by various retailers (who may have old stock, or may not be able to deliver it). Even if you find one, one of its advantages is also a problem: the frame which holds the convenient lever arm (to apply it) and makes one bar possible (by bridging across the tongue) needs to run across the tongue, and the propane tanks are probably in the way of installing that in the current Escape tongue configuration.

Strangely, the Light-Duty WD web page still describes the very different single-bar design, even though the products listed are both conventional two-bar round-bar WD systems:
Quote:
Light-Duty Weight Distributing system is especially designed for use with lighter weight trailers and pop-up campers. The center mount single bar is contoured to avoid interference with center mounted jacks. Easy to set up and use. The lift mechanism is designed to prevent interference with gas bottles or battery trays. Works with any 2" receiver.
The integrated lifter bar feature provides the advantage of allowing a single person to operate from one side of the trailer. This system works with both side and center mounted tongue jacks. The sway control platform allows you to put a friction sway control on either side of the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
No grease on my Kurt WDH

works like a charm.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I grease the hitch. Then it is lowered onto the ball, which picks up grease. Then when removing the WDH after a trip, I pick it up by the ball.
I've done it a thousand times. Who says an old dog can learn?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I grease the hitch. Then it is lowered onto the ball, which picks up grease. Then when removing the WDH after a trip, I pick it up by the ball.
I've done it a thousand times. Who says an old dog can learn?
I have several pairs of pants that attest to my forgetting to put the cover I have for the ball on it before unloading the tow.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I have several pairs of pants that attest to my forgetting to put the cover I have for the ball on it before unloading the tow.....
I would recommend wearing shorts when hitching/unhitching. It is much less stressful to clean the grease off of your shins than to have your significant other complain about you having ruined yet another pair of pants.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote