Fiberglass advantages and ease of towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thanks Dave. Was there a difference with backing up as well as towing?

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I wouldn't say there was much of a difference in backing up, It just seems to be much smoother while going down the highway, Also just realized that I was using a wdh with the 21 ft and Tahoe set up and I have not used a wdh with the escape/ yukon yet and it still is better. The overall loaded weights between the two trailers is pretty similar too. I can't help but think its the overall package with the Escape 19 Ft, rounded smooth corners, better balance of the trailer, A bit lower stance , I suspect they just all add up to be a better towing trailer.

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I was surprised how well my 17B tows with a RAV4. While the gearing is not designed for towing & on 7%-8% passes and I'm down to 40MPH in 2nd gear, it is very stable. I expected some sway from side winds & passing trucks with that light a tow vehicle, but have not had any signs of it. It might be the WDH, but I also feel the short distance between the rear tires & the hitch has much to do with it.

I do take quite a hit on mileage - unhooked I get 25MPG highway; pulling the trailer 15MPG.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Ruthe,
One major item here to consider is "customization". Reace and Tammy will build the Escape basically the way you want it. When shopping for a $50,000 airstream I asked if the air conditioning brand could be changed and a window added? You would have thought I wanted 50% off, no way, Jose was the response, you take it the way it is built, no changes, no alterations.
Escape on the other hand will add or delete windows, electrical outlets, make beds into dinettes and dinettes into beds, smaller or bigger refrigerators, smaller air conditioners, reverse sink and stove, delete range hoods, add extra lights. Any color choice you can find. When completed, your trailer is just the way you would have made it yourself. This option is priceless!!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Jon,

You've covered a lot more miles than I, but I'm concerned about a couple things you said. According to the manual, you're supposed to tow in 4 and NOT to tow uphill for any length of time in a lower gear. I did once on an 8-11 % grade and my transmission warning light came on. I was however doing about 90 KPH ( 56 MPH ).
And generally, towing in 4 I go up that grade at 80 KPH ( 50 MPH ), so I'm surprised you would be down to 40 or need second gear.
As for MPG, I too take a hit with the trailer.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #16

I do tow in 4th, but on a hill the transmission downshifts on its own. On long, steep grades it has gone down as low as 2nd. In second, I have always found it to build speed no matter what the grade, then shifting to 3rd, bogging down till it shifts down to 2nd, etc. If the hill is steep enough for this to happen, I manually shift to 2nd and ease off on the gas. So far my transmission overheat lamp has never come on. I do wish there was a program setting for the scanguage for the RAV4's transmission temperature, but all the ones I've tried don't work.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Got ya. I must say I didn't quibble when service called for changing out the transmission fluid. Apparently no alarms were raised when they did that.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
with out getting too invloved with automatic transmissions here is a decent rule of thumb, It will create less heat in the transmission to use a lower gear ratio and raise the engine rpm and just acept a bit slower speed than " bogging " in a higher gear. using the higher gear will slip the torque converter and cause excessive heat. This is probably even more true with the type of engines that you two have which are higher reving engines with a fairly high tourque curve. It seems hard to convince people that reving the engine a " bit " higher in a lower gear is actually better.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Does the Fav4 have a transmission cooler?
That is part of the tow package on some TVs.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #20

Depends on whether you order it with the tow package. With, you get an oversized radiator which includes the transmission cooler. Makes a difference in the V6 tow rating - 2000 lbs without, 3500 lbs with.