Fiberglass Stain - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
That is ugly. What did the spray company have to say in their defence?

2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Oh man Tim - sorry to see that! Have you contacted the company that caused the damage - I would think they would be liable for that. Anyway we have used Meguires for quite a few years and love it. Especially the oxidation remover. You might give it a try.

I know you can buy it at West Marine here in Portland - do you have one out your way?

Good luck!

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
In a small area I tried Bar Keeps Friend but it also did not touch the stain, so it must be more than just the abrasive in the Gel-Gloss that is doing the trick. The Gel-Gloss still must have fewer abrasives than a rubbing compound, even the one that is a swirl remover which would have the finest grit.
I've never used Bar Keeper's Friend, but from descriptions it seems to be quite fine. The size (coarseness) of the abrasive is more important than the amount. A "rubbing compound" generally has coarser grit than a "polishing compound"; I assume that Gel-Gloss is a polish/wax.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
Trailer: 2013 15B
Not only is it a lot of work to remove the stains, it's even more work when you consider the new wax job that's needed. My condolences, Tim.
Jim and Robin
Jeep Liberty
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've got a oldy, but goldy all molded towable.. so this is from some experience. Put the GelGloss on the stains...keep it WET, a few minutes later... rub it off. You must allow the "chemicals" to work. If you do, it will be more of a cleaner and less abrasive. Yep, the instructions say to put it on and allow to dry to a all waxes. But, I've found "wet" and "time" work to lift stains. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
3M Marine Restorer & Wax has worked well for me in getting off tough stains with little work and it will keep the shine on the trailer unlike Bar Keepers Friend. They also have a 3M Marine Clean and Wax that will take care of most light stains.
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
The place we have our 19 stored is in what used to be a dairy farm's pasture. The new owner no longer keeps cows and has built covered RV storage bays on most of it and the rest is left to grow grass. We happen to be on one of the major flyways for migratory waterfowl and the Canada Geese just love that pasture. One day when a huge flock of geese was grazing on the north side of the storage bays, someone's dog ran through the pasture and started chasing them. They took off, flew south and as they flew over the bay where our 19 was stored, one of them took a huge dump and it landed right on the front of our 19 . Major stain. We discovered it about three days after the fact. We used some bug & tar remover we bought at Canadian Tire and it worked, albeit with a lot of elbow grease. We now store the 19 with a tarp covering the front

We're still have'n fun...
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote