Finally Home - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Finally Home

Our 5.0TA finally made it to our new (to us) home. We took possession almost 3 months ago, but have not brought it here, as we have been working hard to make the house liveable until next year when we will begin major renovations, including the large front addition right where the trailer is now sitting. This will mean it must move off site again in the spring. Until then I plan to do a bunch of mods on it, as well as take it on a trip or two to sunny or locations.

We have quite a steep driveway, 5 feet from sidewalk to garage doors, and the big spruce tree up front we had to maneuver past to get it set in place. But, we got it in place and I look forward to using the nice electric heater I put in it while I work away.

Stay tuned!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Well done, Jim. It's always nice to have your Escape close enough that you can hear it calling: "It's time to go camping!".
Observations: If the 5.0 has Torflex axles, is that slope problematic inthat the trailer is stored with more weight on the rear torsion axle?
In the second photo, what is the rippled area above the belly band at the rear corner?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Well done, Jim. It's always nice to have your Escape close enough that you can hear it calling: "It's time to go camping!".
Observations: If the 5.0 has Torflex axles, is that slope problematic inthat the trailer is stored with more weight on the rear torsion axle?
In the second photo, what is the rippled area above the belly band at the rear corner?
The two axles are near level using a 2x6 under the front tires. I also put an additional 2x6 under both tires on the drivers side to level it side-to-side. Fortunately the drive levels a bit as it nears the house.

That rippled stuff would be snow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Hmm, and you're not worried it will foll away
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Hmm, and you're not worried it will foll away
Not at all. With the axles level it will not roll at all, but I put my X-chocks in for assurance.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
All the Best Jim and Lisa, in your new home!!!
Am I guessing right to answer the above question with the word "snow"?
Old 11-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our 5.0TA finally made it to our new (to us) home. We took possession almost 3 months ago, but have not brought it here, as we have been working hard to make the house liveable until next year when we will begin major renovations, including the large front addition right where the trailer is now sitting. This will mean it must move off site again in the spring. Until then I plan to do a bunch of mods on it, as well as take it on a trip or two to sunny or locations.

We have quite a steep driveway, 5 feet from sidewalk to garage doors, and the big spruce tree up front we had to maneuver past to get it set in place. But, we got it in place and I look forward to using the nice electric heater I put in it while I work away.

Stay tuned!
Really like the looks of your trailer. I like that there is no cut in for the awning and because awning is up higher , doesn't look like the white tabs to quide in awning , I don't see.. Have a question on your solar you installed . For our hotter weather here , is there heat generated to the fiberglass roof from the panels ? Trying to get that answered from Lensun and haven't received any answer to that question . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Looking to Buy
Nice set up Jim,

Congratulations on the Homecoming! Enjoy your new Escape.

Charley
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
All the Best Jim and Lisa, in your new home!!!
Am I guessing right to answer the above question with the word "snow"?
'tis the season. I am sure it is not better, and even worse for you, that there is no high above freezing in the 14 day forecast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Really like the looks of your trailer. I like that there is no cut in for the awning and because awning is up higher , doesn't look like the white tabs to quide in awning , I don't see.. Have a question on your solar you installed . For our hotter weather here , is there heat generated to the fiberglass roof from the panels ? Trying to get that answered from Lensun and haven't received any answer to that question . Pat
No white tabs because of the surface mount. I really can't say how hotter temps would affect things with these panels. Lensun support is a bit slow. I had sent one message I finally found the answer to elsewhere, and a while later got one from them. I think the Facebook page might be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Nice set up Jim,

Congratulations on the Homecoming! Enjoy your new Escape.

Charley
Thanks, Charley. Not the ideal setup, but at least it is at home to work on.

The one drawback I have now, is all my woodworking machinery is in storage while I work on this house, so I will be doing everything with my portable tools. I am sure it will be fine, just not as easy to do. I might have to buy finishing oak stock to use, rather than machining my own rough stock.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
The two axles are near level using a 2x6 under the front tires. I also put an additional 2x6 under both tires on the drivers side to level it side-to-side. Fortunately the drive levels a bit as it nears the house.

That rippled stuff would be snow.
2x6's

Ah, snow? Hmmm.. Oh Yeah, had to look that one up. We had a couple of 100°F days last week, and are down to 70° now.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nice parking job Jim. You'll get a good running start off that driveway.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Nice parking job! I'm still getting used to backing up but am gaining confidence each time I do it. Slow and steady wins the race!
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
Nice parking job! I'm still getting used to backing up but am gaining confidence each time I do it. Slow and steady wins the race!
I had to come in from an angle, just missing my cargo trailer, in order to miss the heavier branches of the spruce, then turn it in until straight, and at the right spot front a few feet in front of the garage. The truck was close to 90° from the line of the trailer when I was done.

I did not do it first try. Nor second, nor third...... probably near the tenth try. The biggest problem was I was turning to the passenger side, which makes it tough to see from the mirrors.

Oh, and I shoulda moved the cargo trailer out of the way first.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
I did not do it first try. Nor second, nor third...... probably near the tenth try. The biggest problem was I was turning to the passenger side, which makes it tough to see from the mirrors...
It's good to know that others need multiple tries to back-in! This skill seems to be the one that is coming the slowest for me but I am finally starting to connect my head to my hands in this convoluted exercise. I managed to get Wild Thing parked in her storage spot yesterday and feel good about that! I'm flying solo so it's a lot of "back up 2 feet, *set the parking brake, get out and walk the circut around the camper to assess, get back in the TV, release the parking brake when after reving the engine the TV is not moving , adjust the wheels, back up, realize you turned the wheels the wrong way, re-adjust, pull forward, back up 2 feet repeat from *" only took me about a half hour this time...I'm making progress!
Attached Thumbnails
20171101_123615.jpg  
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Well the important thing is you got it into the spot with no damage to anything!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Well the important thing is you got it into the spot with no damage to anything!
Of course, your ego does not count as "anything" that can be damaged.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Of course, your ego does not count as "anything" that can be damaged.
My damaged ego does pout for a wee bit, but moments later it recovers fine.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
its hard to back in on my sort of narrow street. takes a few tries because i cant swing my truck around to back up straight but once aligned i have a very nice level area to park next to my house. only issue is water is on the other side of the house maybe i need a longer hose? electricity is right there shares a plug with my heat pump.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
... so it's a lot of "back up 2 feet, *set the parking brake, get out and walk the circuit around the camper to assess, get back in the TV, ......
You've got the most important part down pat. I still do exactly that even though I've been at it for over 50 years.

Just ignore the looky-loo's and critics at the campgrounds.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
No winner or losers for the time it takes to situate your trailer. The only rule is "don't hit anything!"
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote