First Impressions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I remember while employed that one was expected to follow all of these regulations to complete their task. As it were, if you did follow them, you could not complete the task. One had to create a shortcut. Those who realized this early on were successful in their career, those who did not, went elsewhere. Perhaps this is Escapes way of handling certain options, if enough of us are not satisfied, requests stop for that option, and things move along better?.
Willing to bet this is not the case at all. If they wanted to drop an option, whether listed or not, they would just do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wouldn't the placement of the TV impact on where the cable was run and how long it is? Not going to reread the thread, but was that discussed with ETI?
Old 03-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wouldn't the placement of the TV impact on where the cable was run and how long it is? Not going to reread the thread, but was that discussed with ETI?

They hung the tv bracket, associated ac, associated rg6 bulkhead connection to antenna, next to tv mount on upper bed cabinet. They did not bother to route the video connection from the DVD player up to the same location, with a bulkhead connection, nor anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I note that the option shown on The 21 Foot Escape option list is
Quote:
Stereo W/Four Speakers
There is no reference to "DVD" or "video". It has said this for years. Whether this is deliberate or just a typo , essentially there is no video player option offered, and the DVD playing capability of the sound system is a marginally useful bonus for those willing to do extra wiring.

For the 5.0TA the option is listed as
Quote:
Stereo/DVD Player with four speakers
For the 19' and 17' it is
Quote:
Stereo/DVD Player with Two Speakers
I don't know whether this means that these models should have video cables installed, or just that the listings are out of date (since they were not changed when the video cable was deleted).

The build sheet has its own wording, but Escape doesn't publish build sheets so I don't know what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wouldn't the placement of the TV impact on where the cable was run and how long it is?
Sure, but just mounting an output jack in any accessible location near the DVD player and letting the user string cable in the open around the trailer would be vastly more useful than burying the back of the DVD player in a cabinet with no cable attached to it and no access to plug one in.

Also, a trailer ordered "TV ready" (such as this one) has a cable jack in the intended TV location - the video output of the player should obviously go to the same place. If someone wants a different location for the TV, the same location would apply to both antenna and DVD player cables. Not TV ready? Then the DVD video output jack would logically be in whatever standard location ETI chooses. No good cable path from DVD player to TV location? Then the customer can be warned of that when they order both options.

There's are obvious fixes for this in hindsight, but a purchaser would not realize that they should choose them if they had ordered something described as a DVD player:
  • if you want a DVD player built into the trailer, skip the option, and either install whatever unit you want yourself, or pay an automotive audio shop to supply your choice and install it properly; or
  • use a different, not built-in, and separate video player... which will produce a better image, probably transmitted on a modern connection rather than composite analog video.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I remember while employed that one was expected to follow all of these regulations to complete their task. As it were, if you did follow them, you could not complete the task. One had to create a shortcut. Those who realized this early on were successful in their career, those who did not, went elsewhere. Perhaps this is Escapes way of handling certain options, if enough of us are not satisfied, requests stop for that option, and things move along better?.
Purposely create unhappy customers? Not a very sound business plan.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think the op is an unhappy customer, he is not happy with one of his options and would probably not order it if given the choice in the future, thats all.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #27

Quote:
I do not think the op is an unhappy customer, he is not happy with one of his options and would probably not order it if given the choice in the future, thats all.
Correctly put. As I stated we are extremely happy, and would recommend the product. I was just posting here these issues because they can definitely be avoided in the future. They aren't really that big of a deal in and of themselves, for us. But, someone that is not handy, or doesn't know the basics of cabling, or just wants it to work as it is advertised, might benefit from this.
In other words, if it were just a stereo (no video), and was advertised as such, and the speakers weren't hooked up, that would be an issue people should know about, yes? This in my mind is pretty much the same thing.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I'm a bit lost in this. Is a DVD player now a build sheet-listed ETI "option" (it wasn't on the initial build sheet we received from ETI for our 2017 21')? Or is it simply an "off-build sheet" item requested by some individuals?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm a bit lost in this. Is a DVD player now a build sheet-listed ETI "option" (it wasn't on the initial build sheet we received from ETI for our 2017 21')? Or is it simply an "off-build sheet" item requested by some individuals?
21 Options list:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 9.50.11 PM.png  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
As far as I have seen, all models of Escape have the same piece of equipment available as an audio/video option: it includes a DVD player. It was a Jensen, and more recently has been the Boss Audio BV6654B (manual in this forum's file collection). The option listing for the 21' (and only the 21') doesn't mention the DVD playing ability, so that model could get a different unit, but I don't think so... in other discussions 21' owners have mentioned the same Boss unit, and the 21' option is the same price as the option for the other models.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The option listing for the 21' (and only the 21') doesn't mention the DVD playing ability...
Yet the 21 brochure says Stereo/DVD with Speakers like all the other models list.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yet the 21 brochure says Stereo/DVD with Speakers like all the other models list.
So I'm going for "typo" rather than anything more meaningful to explain the difference in the option list for this model... although the typo apparently extends to the build sheet template.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #33

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As far as I have seen, all models of Escape have the same piece of equipment available as an audio/video option: it includes a DVD player. It was a Jensen, and more recently has been the Boss Audio BV6654B (manual in this forum's file collection). The option listing for the 21' (and only the 21') doesn't mention the DVD playing ability, so that model could get a different unit, but I don't think so... in other discussions 21' owners have mentioned the same Boss unit, and the 21' option is the same price as the option for the other models.
All those cryptic buttons on the remote alone would be enough to make me want to turn the thing off and just go for a walk instead!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #34

So just to keep this updated with the latest from ETI:

Quote:
Hello David,

This is a standard install of the DVD player.

Leaves the option up to the customers whether or not they want to run RCA cables.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Warm regards,
So in other words video on the DVD player is optional. I wonder if you request this cable run, they charge extra? Anyway hope this helps someone,.